Flight review required?

Old April 23rd 16, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Flight review required?

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 2:33:15 PM UTC+12, Jim Lewis wrote:
On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 9:37:04 AM UTC-7, Jim Lewis wrote:
Yes, that's what you said but it is still not correct. 120 kts. is the specified Vne for Light Sport aircraft. See 14 CFR 1.1.

On the other hand, the POH for the ASK-21 and for the DG500 both indicate that the Vne is rather like a TAS, so the Vne CAS decreases with altitude. The 120 kts. Vne limit for Light Sport Aircraft (14 CFR 1.1) is a CAS.

It's all rather ridiculous.

The normal cruising speed for gliders is 60 - 80 knots. Even if you have a 160 knot Vne, you very rarely go over 100 knots. The Vne is there mostly for safe recovery from upsets.

Penalizing pilots for buying a safer, stronger aircraft is crazy.
Old April 23rd 16, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

So, doesn't this work:

Commercial includes light sport.

Train to proficiency with a CFI-G in a 2-33. Pass a proficiency check with a different CFI-G - this doesn't count as a flight review, but the commercial pilot is now cleared to utilize his/her light sport privileges in a glider as soon as she/he completes a Flight review with any CFI-G.

This probably requires five or six more dual flights than otherwise required to solo, but that's not the worst thing in the world. It's still glider flight training which is eminently more useful in the case I shared than getting power current.

At a place doing a couple weekend add-on, some of this could likely even count as the recommendation flights for the commercial checkride and not really be much of a burden at all.

If the SSA can't work this out with the FAA, will 2-33's suddenly become more valuable?

Break, break.

Did you see the AOPA story about the 16 year old who soloed a single engine airplane a few minutes after midnight the day he turned 16? Later that day he soloed a twin engined airplane and a glider. All with just a student pilot certificate. However, a lapsed pilot can't solo a glider in an add-on program.
Old April 24th 16, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Terry - I absolutely think that's the interim path until the FAA goes through rule making to fix the core issue of rated pilots not being able to solo a glider without a flight review in an aircraft for which they hold a rating.

1 - Train to proficiency IAW the Light Sport Glider PTS in the 2-33 and get an instructor recommendation to take the proficiency check. Get the appropriate endorsement in the logbook and sign off on form 8710-11.

2 - Successfully pass a proficiency check in the 2-33 with another instructor to the Light Sport Glider PTS and get the appropriate logbook endorsement and signature on the 8710-11.

3 - The instructor that completed the Proficiency Check sends the 8710-11 to Oklahoma City.

4 - Complete a flight review in the 2-33 with any instructor.

5 - At this point, one should be able to get a solo endorsement in any glider that they are training in as the Flight Review requirement has been met and they are training for an additional category to add to their Private, Commercial, or ATP certiciate.

It would be interesting to hear a DPEs thoughts on this.
Old April 24th 16, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT

2 - Successfully pass a proficiency check in the 2-33 with another instructor to the Light Sport Glider PTS and get the appropriate logbook endorsement and signature on the 8710-11.

Who is the PIC during the Sport Pilot proficiency check? Is it the applicant or the check instructor?

If the applicant is the PIC, he will need a Flight Review before doing this, because according to the Beard interpretation, he needs a Flight Review before acting as PIC.

I too would like to hear from a DPE or FSDO on this.

BTW no one has mentioned the FAA Wings Program in lieu of a Flight Review. I think that is the cryptic "For questions, and to discuss possible approaches for dealing with this, please contact SSA Chairman Ken Sorenson at " on the SSA page.

So I would also like to hear someone comment here about the FAA Wings Program path to clear the air on this.

Burt????? Please chime in Sir!

Old April 24th 16, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Doesn't the Sport Pilot require solo time in the glider prior to the double instructor sign off on the 8710-11? How does he do that without a flight review?
Because when it comes down to the bottom line, he is still a rated pilot doing an add-on, solo time, in an aircraft he is not rated for, even if the rating in Sport Pilot, Private, or Commercial.

Questions still need deeper research.

BillT
Old April 24th 16, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm assuming this discussion is about an airplane (or other non-glider) pilot who has chosen not to renew a medical for some reason, and is now also more than 24 months since the last flight review.

Best I can tell, there is no requirement that a person receiving a flight review must be legal to fly as PIC in the airplane (have a current medical). So as long as the instructor is current for carrying a passenger, and willing to sign off this pilot, then a flight review can be done in an airplane prior to soloing the glider.

Am I missing something?

Tom
Old April 24th 16, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

FAA Wings program for a flight review qualification still requires flying with a CFI.
Old April 24th 16, 09:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Agreed that during the proficiency check the CFIG would act as PIC.

Here is my reference as to why I think this is legal

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ency_check.pdf

Specifically -

III. RECORD OF PILOT TIME.
There is no minimum pilot experience required by for the proficiency check. Enter only the pilot time that is acquired in an N-numbered aircraft. DO NOT ENTER TIME THAT IS ACQUIRED IN AN ULTRA LIGHT VEHICLE. If decimal points are used, be sure they are legible. You should fill in the blocks that apply and ignore the blocks that do not.
Old April 24th 16, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Adding a "rating" to light sport requires training to proficiency (dual) and proficiency check with a different instructor (dual). No solo time required. Still not legal to fly until a flight review is completed.

A flight review can only take place in a class/category combo someone already has. Ditto - I think - for WINGS. There is no requirement to be 24-month or 90-day current for a flight review.

Old April 24th 16, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 12:33:18 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm assuming this discussion is about an airplane (or other non-glider) pilot who has chosen not to renew a medical for some reason, and is now also more than 24 months since the last flight review.

Maybe a safe assumption, but all I know is that the guy is a formerly active commercial pilot who DOESN'T WANT TO FLY POWERED AIRCRAFT ANY MORE...

Best I can tell... So as long as the instructor is current for carrying a passenger, and willing to sign off this pilot, then a flight review can be done in an airplane prior to soloing the glider.

The 90-day currency for carrying passengers doesn't apply to one CFI and one "student" in the airplane/glider. For a training flight both are "required crew members," and neither one is a passenger with respect to the other.

then a flight review can be done in an airplane prior to soloing the glider.

Of course it can. But, why spend the money getting PTS proficient when the guy doesn't want to fly powered aircraft anymore. The money can best be spent becoming a better glider pilot.

I suppose the guy could also throw his certificate in the mail with a note to the FAA, then follow the new process to get a Student Pilot Certificate...