CCSC Landing Accident?

Old April 24th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Default CCSC Landing Accident?

Downwind landing took out an L-23 and a Pawnee? Details?

Nothing posted on the Ceasar Creek Soaring facebook page,yet, but I did see a picture on another page.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL

Old April 24th 16, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Someone mentioned that on another posting, not on R.A.S., but no details.
Sounds like someone lost control landing downwind and took out the second aircraft?

I presume that details are being withheld pending insurance, NTSB, and FSDO investigation.
Looking forward to reading the reports in a few months.
BillT
Old April 24th 16, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

It looks like the Pawnee landed downwind and plowed into an L-23 that was staged. Right wing of the Blanick is mangled and the fuselage is creased behind the cockpit. The Pawnee hit it nearly nose-to-nose just to the right of the cockpit based on the one photo I saw on Facebook. Pawnee prop is curled.

How do you do that on such a wide field in a powered plane that can go-around?
Old April 24th 16, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

They must have pulled the picture, I don't see it in FB now.

Why land downwind, our Pawnee hates Downwind landing, even if it's only 3-5 knts.
BillT
Old April 24th 16, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes another highly preventable accident, thankfully no one hurt, just embarisment and higher insurance rates.

As for the Pawnee, probably the easiest most docile large engine taildragger there is. I find most guys who have never experienced their ability as sprayers (99% of tow pilots) land them way too fast, and as a result wheel land. The Pawnee will three point incredibly docilely and with very low energy. There is no need to come scalding in at 80mph as I've many doing.

In the dusting business we almost every day have to deal with downwind landings as we many times work off of one way runways. First few times better pay attention. After doing a bunch of them, its really no big deal as long as your paying attention! Landing in up to 10mph tailwind very routine. Very accurate speed control vital and keeping the energy real low. The pawnee I've worked in 15 mph quartering tailwinds, but it necessitated not being gusty and bringing her in slow and three pointing, dont even think about wheeling her on in those condx unless you have gobs of runway (we had 1600 ft).

The problems arise when a guy DOESNT KNOW he is landing downwind. That's when things can get interesting real fast. When we work off of new runways or fields we always set up white 8 ft pvc pipes with multiple fluorescent flagging at both ends and the middle of the strip. It really helps to know exactly what the wind is doing on T/O roll with a heavy load and on short final. This can help signal a thermal coming across the runway etc.
Dan

Old April 25th 16, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 1:09:11 AM UTC+3, wrote:
[...]

Looking at the sock at 1:10 this guy has a good 10 knots tailwind when landing. Doesn't seem to bother him.

http://youtu.be/loy2n8s_l00

Those things are pretty much all converted to turbine now, of course (or replaced by bigger turbine models carrying 2 tonnes instead of 1). I loved the crackle of those old 400 HP beasts.

http://youtu.be/lO3nAB5Zz8

On a gliding note: those concrete fertalizer bunkers are good to spot. You're probably never more than 10 km from one, you know the place is landable (and has truck access), and the bunker is always at the high end of the strip...
Old April 25th 16, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Hope the people are OK, while it's a PITA, bent stuff can be fixed.
Old April 25th 16, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

A disheartening repeat. A similar towplane-glider collision occurred Fall 2014. In that case, the towplane landed downwind due to noise abatement agreement.

The Pawnee can land extremely short. Seems like you should have a really good reason to land downwind.

Old April 25th 16, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 8:03:41 PM UTC-4, Bruce Hoult wrote:

http://youtu.be/lO3nAB5Zz8

Bad link in the USA
Old April 25th 16, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Doe

In article ,
, son_of_flubber says...

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 8:03:41 PM UTC-4, Bruce Hoult wrote:

http://youtu.be/lO3nAB5Zz8

Bad link in the USA

Even in NZ!

--