A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for out ofcurrency power pilots

Old May 4th 16, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 10:24:29 PM UTC-6, Bill T wrote:
If by Bill, you mean me?

It is my understanding that The FAA no longer considers a pilot with a certificate, a student. They are a rated pilot in search of additional ratings.
Hence they do not require a written test going from airplane to glider. As shown in other posts on RAS, the way to be considered a student is to turn in all your certificates and start from scratch, a student, complete with written tests and student limitations,

BillT

Thank BillT, but I have yet to see any documentation that supports this "Understanding"

The issue of course is that a rated pilot without a current flight review can not solo under FAR 61.31. But all they need is the ability to Solo using Student pilot privileges to complete the requirements to take a check ride..

The FAA could fix this very easily with a letter that states (or revokes previous understandings) that Student pilot privileges are included with any higher certificate. Then there is no need for a pilot to use FAR 61.31 to solo, since they can complete their solo requirement under FAR 61.87 instead..

Brian

Old May 4th 16, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

Brian,

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...rpretation.pdf

FAA is pretty clear
Old May 4th 16, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 8:00:51 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Brian,

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...rpretation.pdf

FAA is pretty clear

Ok, my mistake, I had already admitted that I hadn't fully read the Beard Letter, I should have. It does pretty clearly state that they "Understand" once you have a higher rating, one no longer has student privileges. This is interesting, since this it not the case for other ratings certificates, like sport Pilot or private pilot privileges, if one has a commercial certificate.

Will be interesting to see how the FAA fixes this problem.

Brian
Old May 13th 16, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Call your local FSDO. Mine said just keep doing what you have been doing for past 40 years.
Old May 13th 16, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Great FSDO.........
Old May 14th 16, 01:41 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Call your local FSDO. Mine said just keep doing what you have been doing for past 40 years.
I'd get that in writing........

Walt
Old May 15th 16, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T
external usenet poster

Until the smart DPE starts looking in the applicants log book for the last Flight Review endorsement.
Soon Flight Review endorsements may need to be filed electronically through IACRA, then the computer will check for current FR when adding a rating.
No getting around that.

BillT