Experimental question

Old May 28th 16, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G

Default Experimental question

I recently bought an experimental DG-303.
I am trying to get the new op limitations done ASAP while the season is ticking away. The FAA is not at the pace of my desire to get this thing up!
My question:
I've heard that a buyer might be able to fly using the previous limitations and a/w for 30 days while waiting to get the papers updated. Is this true?
Old May 29th 16, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

What country are you in?
What country is the glider from?

Sorta a big part of the question...........
Old May 29th 16, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G

USA
In Oregon after bought from California
Old May 29th 16, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 6:55:43 PM UTC-4, Wade G wrote:
I recently bought an experimental DG-303.
I am trying to get the new op limitations done ASAP while the season is ticking away. The FAA is not at the pace of my desire to get this thing up!
My question:
I've heard that a buyer might be able to fly using the previous limitations and a/w for 30 days while waiting to get the papers updated. Is this true?

It mainly depends on the Ops Limitations that are currently issued for your glider. If you can fly the glider while complying with all the limitations listed in them then no problem. You have to notify the new geographically responsible FSDO of your intent to operate the experimental aircraft in their area using the previous ops limitations within 30 days. You could continue to operate with the original limitations indefinitely unless you can't comply with the limitations for some reason. Some Ops Limits will specify a specific area where the aircraft can be flown etc...

Old May 29th 16, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade G

Reading through my limitations again, it looks like it only instructs me to submit my program letter within 30 days and as long as the glider hasn't undergone a major change, it's "go" time.
Old May 30th 16, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Maciek Arkuszewski

Aren't we required to comply with all T/Ns for DGs regardless of being first owner or not? They are not ADs, but isn't experimental required to comply with all manufacturers requirements to be legal?
Old May 30th 16, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (TK)

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...8130.2G%20.pdf
Old May 30th 16, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

I'm sure someone will correct me if I misstate. In the US, TN are the same as Service Bulletins, recommended but not mandatory.
Manufacturer would have to ask their country of manufacture to issue an AD, then the US FAA would follow with a US issued AD.
Then it becomes mandatory.

Some TNs allow for modifications or additions to the basic airframe, like "spin kit", or change the brake to hydraulic disc. If you don't want it, you don't need to install it.

BillT
Old May 30th 16, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Read the ops limits that came with the ship. If it contains a statement like, "sale of this aircraft invalidates this Airworthiness Certificate", then you can not fly the ship using the old a/w certificate and ops limits. If it does not contain this statement, you can fly the ship and I believe all that is needed is a new Program Letter sent to your local Federallies.

You are allowed to fly with the temporary Request for new Registration if the pink carbon copy is carried in the ship.
JJ
Old May 30th 16, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

For what it is worth -

I purchased an used experimental glider in November 2014. I dutifully sent in my program letter to my local FSDO in January 2015. Later that month, I received a phone call informing me that because the glider was changing "home FSDOs", I needed a new Special Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations issued by my local FSDO.

The FSDO was great to work with and the process went very smoothly but, it was required before I flew the aircraft.

Lou