Trip report: flying to Yellowstone in a Grumman Traveler

Old August 22nd 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

Default Trip report: flying to Yellowstone in a Grumman Traveler

My wife and I just came back from a trip to Yellowstone in our '75
Traveler. See the trip map

http://www.chouby.com/apps/wys.html

We took the southern route through Boise, ID both ways because of the
weather and the limited altitude capability of our plane. Between
Boise and Yellowstone we flew over a vast span of central Idaho desert
with stunning views. West Yellowstone airport is located in a large
half bowl shaped valley with field elevation of 6644 feet. Getting
into WYS we landed in probably 15 knots crosswind, beating a rain
shower by 20 minutes.

Four days later we departed West Yellowstone in early morning with sun
burned faces and sore legs from all the hiking we did at the
Yellowstone National Park. The temperature was just above freezing and
the DA was 6700ft. At 200lb under gross the takeoff from the 8,400
feet runway was quite routine and didn't seem much worse than taking
off from Boise (2800 ft) in a 90F afternoon. The view from the air was
nothing short of spectacular.

Old August 23rd 06, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ok, I am getting confused again,,,, G DA was higher then the field
elevation with the air temp at 32 degrees. Standard day temp is 59f, I
guess you could have had a very"low" pressure system pass through that
mornin.....

Ben
Jackson Hole WY 6430 MSL...
N801BH

Old August 23rd 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

My wife and I just came back from a trip to Yellowstone in our '75
Traveler. See the trip map

http://www.chouby.com/apps/wys.html

Cool trip! Mary and I have planned -- and scrubbed -- several trips to
Yellowstone, due to work schedules and other factors just not coming
together.

We've been through Yellowstone by motorcycle, car, and on foot (in a
very limited way) -- but not yet by air. It's on our "must-do" list,
however.

Thanks for sharing the trip.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

I didn't actually calcualte the DA using the E6B. I got the DA readout
from the Davtron M655 (http://www.davtron.com/m655.html).

However to answer your qustion, the standard temp of 59F/15C is at sea
level. At higher elevation the standard temperature is lower (I
believe it's close to 2C decrement for each thousand feet in the
standard atmospheric model). So at 6000 feet elevation, the standard
temperature (when the pressure altitude equals density altitude) is
only slighly above freezing.

So in the high countries, if you can walk around in a T-shirt, you
probably need to worry about densitity altitude :-)

Old August 23rd 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Cool trip! Mary and I have planned -- and scrubbed -- several trips to
Yellowstone, due to work schedules and other factors just not coming
together.
We've been through Yellowstone by motorcycle, car, and on foot (in a
very limited way) -- but not yet by air. It's on our "must-do" list,
however.

Ever think about putting a RAP'er trip to Yellowstone together?
Pre/post-OSH?
Old August 23rd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Ever think about putting a RAP'er trip to Yellowstone together?
Pre/post-OSH?

Nope, I hadn't. It would be fun, though.

Not this year, though. My budget still hasn't recovered from OSH!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 24th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("john smith" wrote)
Ever think about putting a RAP'er trip to Yellowstone together?
Pre/post-OSH?

2,300 statute (road) miles - round trip.
Minneapolis to West Yellowstone ...airport.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KWYS
KWYS (West) Yellowstone Airport

100 gallons @ 23 miles/gal = $300
+ 10% for extra driving, higher gas prices, etc = $330

No need for motels. g

Mount Rushmore the first night. West Yellowstone the second.

3 RAP'rs (in comfortable captain chairs) - each person drives one hour legs.
We tow a small aerodynamic trailer. Hmm? This idea has legs.

$55/person for fuel - each way.
$8/person for the oil change.
There is no minivan depreciation g

http://www.nps.gov/yell/pphtml/planyourvisit.html
Yellowstone National Park:

Admission: ...Minivan is $25 for 7 Days. That's it.
Camping: .....$15/night in the park. FREE at the airport.

Ok. I'm in.

I just spoke briefly (on the phone) with a guy at Yellowstone Airport. Nice
guy. Much enthusiasm. He said keep him posted if it comes together for next
year.

http://www.yellowstoneaviation.com/
FREE camping on the field - in the trees - 150 ft from your plane. Campsites
have fire pits, showers, bathrooms, picnic tables, the whole nine yards. He
said we'd be pleased with the camping accommodations.

Budget and Avis Rent A Car are on the field.

$4/day tie-down fee.

http://www.yellowstoneaviation.com/flyin.shtml
Flying into WYS info:

Elevation: 6,644 ft
Runway 1/19 ....8400 ft x 150 ft

100LL $4.66 (8/17/06)
Airport is 1 mile north of town

Montblack

Old August 24th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_2_]

john smith wrote:

Ever think about putting a RAP'er trip to Yellowstone together?
Pre/post-OSH?

Interesting idea! It flight plans out at about 4.5 hours from Phoenix, overflying the Grand Canyon, Bryce
Canyon and Salt Lake. One stop somewhere south of SLC would be a nice trip. I haven't been there
since we took the kids up there about 15 years ago. Let's work on this!

Mike
Old August 24th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

We've been through Yellowstone by motorcycle, car, and on foot (in a
very limited way) -- but not yet by air. It's on our "must-do" list,
however.

Grand Teton NP is far prettier and in the same area.

Ron Lee
Old August 24th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Ever think about putting a RAP'er trip to Yellowstone together?
Pre/post-OSH?

Interesting idea! It flight plans out at about 4.5 hours from Phoenix, overflying the Grand Canyon, Bryce
Canyon and Salt Lake. One stop somewhere south of SLC would be a nice trip. I haven't been there
since we took the kids up there about 15 years ago. Let's work on this!

Okay, for best weather (and not to interfere with OSH) it would have to
be in June, probably mid-to-late June. This is starting to sound like
a crazy idea that might be more than a pipe dream?

For me, it flight plans at 6:10, which we could easily make in one day,
weather permitting. Of course, when I rode a motorcycle through
Yellowstone -- in June -- it SNOWED, so this is dicier than you might
think.

Anyone else interested? Mary and I have been talking about this
FOREVER, and -- with my son a Junior in high school now -- it's next
summer, or probably never, with him.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Flying into West Yellowstone airport (WYS) M Piloting 19 August 13th 06 11:42 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 12:07 AM
Reflections on first trip to Canada from US Mike & Janet Larke Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 12:57 AM