Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

Old July 8th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Next to English, Arabic,
Mandarin, Spanish and Hindi are far more important than French.

It's the other way around. If you can't find someone who speaks English, the
next language you try is French.

The next language _you_ try maybe. It's rarely of any use to me when I
travel (outside French speaking countries)- even in Europe. Despite
being an American, you have adopted a very French perspective, but it's
******** if you travel to most countries outside France.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old July 9th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting

For what it's worth, at least the scientific courses in universities
in Sweden were being taught in English in the late 60s.

Had been German, I was told, until after WW2

On Jul 8, 7:09 pm, DaveM wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:28:09 +0100, (David Horne, _the_

chancellor (*)) wrote:
Mandarin, Spanish and Hindi are far more important than French.

Hindi? One of the current strengths of Indian workers is that the Lingua
Franca of India is English. Hindi may be the major language, but I'm told by
Indian colleagues that English is the language of education (or at the very
least, in the schools and universities those colleagues attended).

DaveM

Old July 9th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Next to English, Arabic,
Mandarin, Spanish and Hindi are far more important than French.

It's the other way around. If you can't find someone who speaks English,
the
next language you try is French.

That probably works in France.....

Old July 9th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
El Maximo writes:

Whiners who can't make it usually use that kind of rationalization when
the
truth is they simply can't cut it.

I've already recommended reading on the subject. There's a reason why so
few
French people can speak any useful English despite years of formal
education
in the language.

Your past history lead me to ignore anything you might 'recommend'. I
suspect any intelligent person would do the same.

With english teachers like you in the system, I'm suprised ANY french people
can speak English.

Old July 9th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Miguel Cruz

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
DaveM wrote:

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:28:09 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Mandarin, Spanish and Hindi are far more important than French.

Hindi? One of the current strengths of Indian workers is that the Lingua
Franca of India is English. Hindi may be the major language, but I'm told by
Indian colleagues that English is the language of education (or at the very
least, in the schools and universities those colleagues attended).

Yes, you're absolutely right that the lingua franca of business in India
is English, but Hindi is still an important language in terms of actual
numbers- I shouldn't perhaps have included it in the list- except to say
that, given the growing importance of the Indian economy, I think that
Hindi will gain groun too.

Many Indians would prefer to speak English over Hindi, a language which
they feel was imposed on them as a product of northern Indian chauvenism.

I think the main linguistic consequence of India's economic growth will
be an improvement in the standard of English throughout India.

miguel
--
Hit the road! Photos from around the world:
http://travel.u.nu
Old July 9th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Miguel Cruz

Mxsmanic wrote:
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Next to English, Arabic,
Mandarin, Spanish and Hindi are far more important than French.

It's the other way around. If you can't find someone who speaks English, the
next language you try is French.

Only if you're in France, or have little interest in establishing
communication.

miguel
Old July 9th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Miguel Cruz

NotABushSupporter wrote:
EridanMan wrote:

Of course, in the same breath that Mx is criticizing you guys, he is
committing the same fallacy- asserting that French is an international
language on a par with English... The only people in the world who
hold French in that regard are the French, in their classic
nationalistic delusion of relevance

It should be noted, that my US passport is in English and ...... guess
what? Oh yeah, French! I know this is true for at least some other
countries.

Older US passports were in English and French. About a decade ago, they
added Spanish (for a total of 3 languages). I expect the next change
will be the disappearance of French.

miguel
Old July 9th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Miguel Cruz wrote:

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
DaveM wrote:

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:28:09 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

[...]

Fair enough- but India still has over 3 times as many people speaking
Hindi as a native language than the number speaking English as a
secondary one.