I want to build the most EVIL plane EVER !!!

Old January 9th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default (Mini-500)I want to build the most EVIL plane EVER !!!

Morgans wrote:

"kd5sak" wrote in message
. com...
VW?

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!!!

It wasn't a very hard question, but you got it! How come Nader didn't
write
a book about them. The Corvair was three times as crashworthy as a VW
Bug, too.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago the final VW Type 1 engined vehicle left the assembly
line in South America (Brazil I think). They still used it in the 'Bus' So
new cases were still available on the open market. That will probably end
shortly.
John

Old January 9th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("Morgans" wrote)
I gotta let this go. I feel my blood pressure going up, far too high! g

Like your blood vessels are going to explode, resulting in you rolling over
....in the corner?

Is it too late to 'recall' Jim?

Montblack :-)
"It's better to burn out than it is to rust ......Hey hey, my my"

Old January 9th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Montblack" wrote

Is it too late to 'recall' Jim?

*twitch*twitch* No, why do you *twitch* say that? * twitch*twitch*
--
Jim in (twitch) NC ;-)

Old January 9th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

kd5sak wrote:
VW?
Harold
KD5SAK

"Morgans" wrote in message

"john smith" wrote

I'll take a guess...
"UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED", by Ralph Nader

I knew that was coming.

What people do not widely know, is that he printed a retraction, saying
that the problems were fixed, '63 and later. It had to do with the fact
that the rear axles only had one U-joint, at the transaxle. After they
put in two per side, and made the wheels travel straight up and down, they
were fine.

Bonus points. What rear engine air cooled engine car never put the two
extra U-joints per side in, and in some parts of the world, are still
produced that way?

VW ditched swing-arm rear suspension bug in 1979 for US models. In the
rest of the world they were sold both ways. Also 2003 was the last year
for the aircooled bug, they are no more...

Also Raplh Nader is unsafe at any speed.

Tony
Old January 9th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I had a 65 Monza convertible when GM finally canned the Corvair. I painted
a picture of Snoopy on his doghouse going down in flames shouting "Curse
you, Ralph Nader". Noticed a lot of people chuckling behind me at lights.

"Rich S." wrote in message
. ..
"Morgans" wrote in message

What people do not widely know, is that he printed a retraction, saying
that the problems were fixed, '63 and later. It had to do with the fact
that the rear axles only had one U-joint, at the transaxle. After they
put in two per side, and made the wheels travel straight up and down,
they were fine.

Jim..........

Actually, the rear suspension change was made in 1965. See
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/page...corvairhistory

Rich S.
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
140 hp 4-carb PG transmission
Black with whorehouse red velvet upholstery and wyare weels.

Old January 9th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Didn't the SuperBeetle have a better (non-swing axle) rear suspension?

The two-U-joint half shafts on the 65 and later Corvair was borrowed from
the Corvette suspension of the same era. Lowered the roll center and
eliminated the jacking effect of the swing axles. Once the tuck that is
generally characteristic of most swing axles was eliminated, the early
Corvair became a very controllable car near the limit. I found (on the '62
Monza that I had before the '65) that substituting much stiffer adjustable
shocks in the back fixed most of the problem. Monroe "Adjustamatic"
(couldn't afford Konis) set to 3 (stiffest) on the back and 1 (softest) on
the front made the car completely controllable on the skid pad. Of course
you had to have the tire pressures right, and five plus turns lock-to-lock
on the steering made you really busy, but that was all that was necessary.
If only GM had been willing to accept a (slightly) harsher ride.

"Morgans" wrote in message

"kd5sak" wrote in message
. com...
VW?

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!!!

It wasn't a very hard question, but you got it! How come Nader didn't
write a book about them. The Corvair was three times as crashworthy as a
VW Bug, too.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 10th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
news
I had a 65 Monza convertible when GM finally canned the Corvair. I painted
a picture of Snoopy on his doghouse going down in flames shouting "Curse
you, Ralph Nader". Noticed a lot of people chuckling behind me at lights.

I had the '68 110 with the 2 speed hydromatic. When the air pressure in the
tires was tuned perfectly, you had 100% neutral steering. I could put it
into a high speed constant radius turn, and let go of the wheel. It was a
blast!

I always wanted a Monza Spider. I got to drive one, once. I was spoiled.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 7th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 16:30:43 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

The Corvair was three times as crashworthy as a VW Bug,
too.

ACCORDING TO WHOM, oh wise (ass) one? g

- Barnyard BOb -

Old February 7th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:24:22 -0800, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

I don't think Nader went after the Thing...that was about ten years after his
heyday. The Thing tanked because it was a piece of crap. It had all the
drawbacks of the standard Beetle (low power, poor heater, floorboard rust-out,
fairly poor mileage) and none of the good aspects, and zero quality. And
next-to-no occupant protection.

I owned one for ~20 years, I should know....

Ron Wanttaja

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

How many USA cars have you owned for 20 years, Ron?

Barnyard - If I had an inquiring mind, I'd want to know - BOb
Old February 7th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:29:40 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

I had the '68 110 with the 2 speed hydromatic.

Sheesh.
Seems I STILL gotta' 'teach' the teacher. g

The word is HYDRAMATIC, sweetheart.....
and it NEVER was installed in the love of your life Corvair.

I first saw a Hydr-A-matic Oldsmoblie on the street in 1948.
T'was an iron case 4 speed tranny with fluid coupling.
Surfing the net, it seems they were first available in 1946.
IIRC, much later similar designs left out 3rd gear...
making it a very sad and sick factory 3 speed performer.

More Minutia:
In the name of cost containment circa 1960?....
the rear hydraulic pump was eliminated, so one could no
longer push/pull start it with a dead battery or whatever.
This led to starting cars with dead batteries the way we do it today.
[Somewhere in time, the hand crank disappeared.]

FWIW.....
Jaguar, Rolls Royce and countless others have sported
various versions of GM hydramatic transmissions over the years....
BUT NOT CORVAIRS!!!!!

Barnyard - older than dirt - BOb