1343 NM to the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center and back...

Old June 16th 05, 03:39 AM
Jack Allison

Jim Burns wrote:

ROFL!!! You took the words out of my mouth Jack! I had already typed it but
thought Ole Jay may take it the wrong way.

Great minds think alike, eh Jim? But, Jay take it the wrong way?
Coming from you? Nah! Besides, he already knows he sucks big time...we
just have to remind him of the fact now and then. Our duty as fellow
pilots you know. :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 16th 05, 03:41 AM
Jack Allison

Hey Margie, how come no left coasters were invited? How much did Jay
have to pay for the invite? :-)

Sounds like a very cool event by the way. The Smithsonian, particularly
the air and space museum and Udvar-Hazy center are on the list of places
I need to go.

Old June 16th 05, 04:55 AM
Montblack

("Jack Allison" wrote)
Hey Margie, how come no left coasters were invited? How much did Jay have
to pay for the invite? :-)

I don't think he had to pay anything. However, there was a cost - sitting on
that bale of hay, in bib overalls, and 100 degree heat. :-)

Since it was Be A Pilot - Family Day, and you are the Spam Can Allison Clan,
maybe you've got a shot in the future.

Montblack

Old June 17th 05, 01:19 AM
Michelle P

Actually we had all types of aircraft. Tail draggers, Spam cans, tubular
steel and fabric, composite, military, Police, State, production and
experimental.
Have something interesting for next year?
Michelle

("Jack Allison" wrote)

Old June 17th 05, 11:41 PM
Margy

Jack Allison wrote:
Hey Margie, how come no left coasters were invited? How much did Jay
have to pay for the invite? :-)

Sounds like a very cool event by the way. The Smithsonian, particularly
the air and space museum and Udvar-Hazy center are on the list of places
I need to go.

Well, Jay was invited because when I dug deep down and tried to think of
the all American flying family Jay and Mary (and kids) were the picture
in the dictionary. Any left coaster who might want to make it next time
(next June??) can email me at nataliem@ NOSPAM si.edu and I will start
keeping a list for next year. East coasters as well! The thing is if
you come in you don't really get to SEE the museum, you become part of
the museum for the day. I don't have plans or approvals for the next
one, but the administration was very happy with the first one :-). In
conjunction with the fly-in our public programs coordinator, Gloria
Fulwood, put on a first class family day (she also made all the
arrangements to get our pilots fed!).

Keep them cards and letters coming,

Margy
Old June 17th 05, 11:55 PM
Jay Honeck

Great, great story BUT...... The question must be rasied. Did you use your
VOR to fly to the VOR?

Nope.

We *did* turn the VOR on, to verify our course, but I wanted to see where,
exactly, on a gigantic moving map, this radio beacon was in relation to
everything else in the area. Therefore I used our AvMap to fly directly to
the VOR.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 17th 05, 11:57 PM
Jay Honeck

AAA!!! Absolutely Awesome Atlas!!!.... you too Jay!

btw... you missed a great airshow at JVL! But you sure had one heck of an
excuse!

Dang -- I really wanted to see that show this year.

And I just got back from a couple of days of motorcycle camping over at
Wyalusing State Park, not far from your neck of the woods, with my 14 year
old son. We had a great time, but, man, I'm getting too friggin' old to be
riding a cycle all day and sleeping on the ground at night!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 18th 05, 12:01 AM
Jay Honeck

Keep them cards and letters coming,

Hey Margy -- Anyone in particular you would like us to thank?

I think this event was simply outstanding, and if we need to schmooze
someone in order to ensure future repeat events, by all means let us know
whom to schmooze!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 18th 05, 01:11 AM
Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:
Keep them cards and letters coming,

Hey Margy -- Anyone in particular you would like us to thank?

I think this event was simply outstanding, and if we need to schmooze
someone in order to ensure future repeat events, by all means let us know
whom to schmooze!

I think it's going to be mostly a matter of getting sponsorship. We had
a sponsor for this event that covered most of it (the day sort of grew,
like we added a fly-in). Hopefully we will have a sponsor for next year
and we will do another event. I think management was very happy with
the event and if I volunteer to do the work for the fly-in and talk
Gloria into another family day, if we get the $$ we will have an event.

Margy
Old June 18th 05, 02:45 AM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
btw... you missed a great airshow at JVL! But you sure had one heck of an
excuse!

Dang -- I really wanted to see that show this year.

Air Force Thunderbirds:
June 2005

18-19 LA CROSSE, WIS (Father's Day g)

25-26 DAVENPORT, IOWA