PW-6 family fun ------

Old March 5th 06, 08:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PW-6 family fun ------

Keith wrote:

The rude statement made earlier in this thread is totally uncalled for
.. Perhaps Mr knowledgelakking should refrain from blurting out
comments and exposing his true intelligence.

So, my criticism of the post itself (which was not even a post of Rod
Morris himself, but of a dealer of these ugly PW-5/6 ships) was
answered by name-calling and questioning of my intelligence. Well, I'm
not surprised, after all this is rec.aviation.soaring ...

Go and read the original post again. Good grief... Over & out.

Old March 5th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Agreed
But they have calmed down a bit over the years. )

Old March 5th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Knacklappen wrote:
Agreed
But they have calmed down a bit over the years. )

Well let us revive the flam. A peewee is to a real glider what Microsoft
Windows is to a real OS. Conversely you have to know how to handle an ASW20,
the same you need how to cope with a Unix system.

--

Michel TALON

Old March 5th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Although anonymous posters seem to have good reason
to conceal their identity...I'll bite.

Since you have such a problem with this glider combination...what
would your suggested alternative be?

Old March 5th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well, I'll bite, too. In retrospect, I guess my intial reaction was due
to a coincidence of two irritating moments:
(1) A shameless plug from a dealer for a certain plane, with absolutely
no valuable information at all. It could have been an ETA, a Duo
Discus, an ASH-25 or whatever, and I would still have criticised the
original post as the covert advertisement it is.
(2) The shameless plug actually promoted a PW-5/6, which in my very
humble opinion (though shared by many others) is a couple of
offensively ugly gliders. This probably made my initial statement a bit
more "spicy" than necessary. ;-)

Answering your question, I would recommend a combination of ASK-21 and
LS-4, both quite versatile gliders, usable for teaching but also in
competitions.

And no, these are not the only gliders I have flown in my life. And
yes, these are the gliders I have been trained on, and I still think it
was an excellent choice of our gliding club to transition from BF
III/IV + K8.

For XC-teaching we have come to use Duo Discus, which for the student
is the 2nd two seater glider he/she will learn to fly. The Duo is of
course far superior for XC than the ASK-21 and at the same time offers
the student the possibility to hone his/her gliding skills: Starting
and landning is less easy than ASK-21, but the reward is far better
performance.

Old March 5th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 18:54 05 March 2006, Knacklappen wrote:
Well, I'll bite, too. In retrospect, I guess my intial
reaction was ..

Well I tend to agree with you...in that if I had a
choice between a used LS4 or a new PW5 for club training
I would pick the former. But there is a signifigant
price difference between PW6, Duo and ASK21...so I
suggest you are comparing apples to oranges.

Last time I checked....the options for basic training
two-place ships less then $100k is rather limited.

Old March 5th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hmm... $100k sounds very much. I guess the transport costs distort the
prices, over here in Europe you can get some nice ships for that amount
of money...

Old March 5th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Except that you can download some nice themes for Windows that makes it
*look* quite neat. Try that to a PW... ) Hehe...

Old March 6th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

(2) The shameless plug actually promoted a PW-5/6, which in my very
humble opinion (though shared by many others) is a couple of
offensively ugly gliders. This probably made my initial statement a bit
more "spicy" than necessary. ;-)

Answering your question, I would recommend a combination of ASK-21 and
LS-4, both quite versatile gliders, usable for teaching but also in
competitions.

Agreed on pewee 5, but how exactly is Ask-21 better than Pewee 6?
Other than brand new price tag being doubled or so. Same 1:31 gliding
ratio according to SM testing, so you hypothesis is based on the same
idea people go and buy MB cars thinking they've just got a better
build, reliable flashy vehicle soon thereafter they realize it's a
flashy Ford quality money pit. My club picks would be Pewee 6 - for
a price of 20 year old Ask-21 used in a club you can get a new one and
Ls-4.

Old March 6th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hmmm, I don't know the price tag in the US (assuming you have a north
american perspective on things)... but over here in Europa the ASK-21
is not that expensive and it's a very sustainable strategy for a bigger
gliding club to actually by a new ASK-21 when the old one has reached a
certain flight time limit, and to sell off the old one for a good price
on the second hand market.
However, I do share your opinion on the MB...

A36 for Family Trips Bob Owning 9 June 9th 05 04:06 AM
SU-37 Family avionics equipment LIM Military Aviation 0 April 28th 04 03:17 AM
Flying and the New Family Marco Leon Piloting 33 December 24th 03 06:11 PM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 12:14 PM
Lindbergh's other family Larry Dighera Piloting 11 December 3rd 03 12:30 AM