A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Dream Panel

Old July 23rd 18, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

And on modern Schleicher panels many folks are installing Klixon breakers into the top of leg tunnel area under the panel. That is what I would do. That gets breakers off the panel and leaves a few fuses. The exact way to do this is point at John's ASH26Mi and ask Rex to install breakers *exactly* like that, just a beautiful engineered breaker mount block. The wiring is also likely to be much better done that way as well with long row of breakers and somple supply sude bus.
Old July 23rd 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 4:22:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Trig is, and has been, a life-saver for the gliding and experimental aircraft groups, and I fully appreciate what they have done for us. I remember talking to the sales manager for the company that supplies Trig with the high-accuracy GPS chips used in the TN72 just before he left for England to meet with Trig a number of years ago. Wish I could remember the guy's and the company's name, but oh-well.

Anyhow, I have solved my ADS-B Out dilema.

Tom

Trig is in Scotland, not England.

Close enough.
Old July 24th 18, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 6:26:09 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 4:22:42 PM UTC-7, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 9:36:26 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
Circuit breakers (not fuses)
ROY

I don't have a comment on which instruments to purchase. I only want to agree with Roy on circuit breakers over fuses. Also I feel that you should not use small value breakers (or fuses) less than 4A or you will pay a price in lost volts.

I prefer 5A+ combo breaker/switches (i.e. Tyco W31) over plain breakers.. Tyco's are bulky as compared to Klixon but the Tyco eliminates a separate switch and a additional failure point. I don't agree with using a plain breaker as a switch.

One other thing I like separate on/off switches for those avionics that don't have their own internal power off capability (I have two such devices - ClearNav and FLARM Core) to be able to reset a device or if you need to save dwindling power at the end of a long flight.

Best of luck.

John OHM Ω

John,

My problem is that I have identified 16 breakers and fuses. Some have to be fuses per Schleicher (about 4), so that leaves 12 breakers. The Tyco is over twice the area of the Klixon, by about 0.5 sq in. That means I have to come up with another 6 sq in of panel area, or 1 1/2 instruments. That just ain't happening.

Tom

Klixon breakers are rated for 5000 operations at full load and 30V. A decent toggle switch is rated for a lot more, but how many times are you going to switch it? That's 7 years at twice a day. A separate switch is nice, but adds wiring, takes space, and reduces reliability.

Out of curiosity, which circuits does Schleicher insist are fuses, and was there any rational to go along with it? The specs of glass fuses and good thermal breakers are functionally identical. From experience I know that Kixon breakers are more reliable than the glass fuse holders AS uses.

One more thing to point out is the micro rotary switches that AS uses for power switching are not really rated for typical currents. The ones supplied in mine (similar to NKK MRY106) were a 2A AC, 1A DC switch. I've seen lots of these in gliders. I replaced them with NKK MRT23 switches, rated for 3A DC, and paralleled the two poles for 6A.

I'd ask for a LED indicator pilot light on a couple of circuits: the Pump 2 and the Refuel Auto. These are easy to leave on and you don't want to.
Old July 24th 18, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 5:26:02 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 6:26:09 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 4:22:42 PM UTC-7, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 9:36:26 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
Circuit breakers (not fuses)
ROY

I don't have a comment on which instruments to purchase. I only want to agree with Roy on circuit breakers over fuses. Also I feel that you should not use small value breakers (or fuses) less than 4A or you will pay a price in lost volts.

I prefer 5A+ combo breaker/switches (i.e. Tyco W31) over plain breakers. Tyco's are bulky as compared to Klixon but the Tyco eliminates a separate switch and a additional failure point. I don't agree with using a plain breaker as a switch.

One other thing I like separate on/off switches for those avionics that don't have their own internal power off capability (I have two such devices - ClearNav and FLARM Core) to be able to reset a device or if you need to save dwindling power at the end of a long flight.

Best of luck.

John OHM Ω

John,

My problem is that I have identified 16 breakers and fuses. Some have to be fuses per Schleicher (about 4), so that leaves 12 breakers. The Tyco is over twice the area of the Klixon, by about 0.5 sq in. That means I have to come up with another 6 sq in of panel area, or 1 1/2 instruments. That just ain't happening.

Tom

Klixon breakers are rated for 5000 operations at full load and 30V. A decent toggle switch is rated for a lot more, but how many times are you going to switch it? That's 7 years at twice a day. A separate switch is nice, but adds wiring, takes space, and reduces reliability.

Out of curiosity, which circuits does Schleicher insist are fuses, and was there any rational to go along with it? The specs of glass fuses and good thermal breakers are functionally identical. From experience I know that Kixon breakers are more reliable than the glass fuse holders AS uses.

One more thing to point out is the micro rotary switches that AS uses for power switching are not really rated for typical currents. The ones supplied in mine (similar to NKK MRY106) were a 2A AC, 1A DC switch. I've seen lots of these in gliders. I replaced them with NKK MRT23 switches, rated for 3A DC, and paralleled the two poles for 6A.

I'd ask for a LED indicator pilot light on a couple of circuits: the Pump 2 and the Refuel Auto. These are easy to leave on and you don't want to.

Rex says the circuits requiring fuses by Schleicher (engine related) are a certification issue. Exactly what kind of certification issue, I don't know..

Tom