Firewall Insulation Material??

Old November 8th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

Default Firewall Insulation Material??

On 7 Nov 2006 18:39:26 -0800, "DonMorrisey"
wrote:

Hey Everyone. I am looking for a good quality insulating material for
my firewall. I am interested in something that will effectively block
sound and heat. I've looked at what Spruce and Wicks has available but
I'm wondering what some other builders may have used that has worked
well and is relatively easy to install. All comments and leads
appreciated, especially anyone that has flown their application and is
happy with the result.

I guess I need to insulate the rest of the airplane too, so any
comments on that are welcome as well.

Thanks. Don...

I used fiberglass ceiling tile with the plastic ripped off and heavy
duty tin foil cemented on one side. It works very well and was really
cheap and easy to install.

Old November 8th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

try this

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundprf.html

Old November 8th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Lou wrote:
try this

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundprf.html

I think the key word in the question was FIREproofing
Old November 9th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

DonMorrisey wrote:
Hey Everyone. I am looking for a good quality insulating material for
my firewall. I am interested in something that will effectively block
sound and heat. I've looked at what Spruce and Wicks has available but

I guess I need to insulate the rest of the airplane too, so any
comments on that are welcome as well.

Thanks. Don...

Don..

3M material. It is sound deadening and reflects heat. Your comment
about the rest of the plane has me baffled. I don't know of any
material for more than the firewall.

Neal

Old November 9th 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Noboby was talking to you.

Old November 9th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DonMorrisey

3M material. It is sound deadening and reflects heat. Your comment
about the rest of the plane has me baffled. I don't know of any
material for more than the firewall.

Neal

Hi Neal, what particular 3M product?

When I say the rest of the plane I want to insulate my doors and cabin
to primarily retain heat but a by-product of this would be sound
deadening. There are many, many choices. I was trying to find what
has worked for others, i.e. accomplished the job and is light, moisture
resistant, etc...

Thanks. Don..

Old November 9th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

I can't recall the name of the stuff right now but I bought an ultra
light foam material from MacMaster Carr that covers all your
requirements. It is ultra light, sound deadening, insulating, and will
not burn on its own. As soon a a flame source is removed, it stops
burning (or melting). I bought it in 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch thickness.
It is black and a spray adhesive will work great with it.

Check out their web site, they have a wide selection of different foam
materials.

Bob

Old November 9th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ELIPPSE

DonMorrisey wrote:
Hey Everyone. I am looking for a good quality insulating material for
my firewall. I am interested in something that will effectively block
sound and heat. I've looked at what Spruce and Wicks has available but
I'm wondering what some other builders may have used that has worked
well and is relatively easy to install. All comments and leads
appreciated, especially anyone that has flown their application and is
happy with the result.

I guess I need to insulate the rest of the airplane too, so any
comments on that are welcome as well.

Thanks. Don...

Contact EAR Specialties in Indiana. They have a complete line of sound
insulation products, and a pamphlet that shows where to install each.
They are also the makers of the "Conforfoam" line of absorbing seat
cushions and the little yellow ear-thingies!