Bible-beater pilots

Old November 21st 03, 05:58 AM
Ben Jackson

In article . net,
Mike Rapoport wrote:
convince people that you belong to a less exotic religion.

I just tell people that I'm devoutly Myopic.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 21st 03, 07:36 AM
Jim Weir

's' funny, he doesn't LOOK Druish.

Jim

"Mike Rapoport"

- It
-would be more fun to convince them that you are a Druid

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old November 21st 03, 02:09 PM
Jay Honeck

Sorry about the bad lunch companions. We have these people around here
too.

You have PILOT proselytizers?

I'd never seen one before. Hope I never meet one again.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 03, 06:07 PM
Blanche Cohen

These days I'm practicing Zen Judaism.

You sit zazen and kvetch all the time.

Old November 21st 03, 05:17 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

Anyone ever run into this before? What did you do?
--
Jay Honeck

I generally try the 'throw oneself down on the floor and start spinning in
circles while spitting pea soup all-around' approach, that USUALLY gets 'em
headed for the door - unless I try this in Berkeley, California, across the
S.F. Bay from me; then they just assume I'm a street performer. GRIN ;-)

Seriously, though, I just excuse myself from their company when they start
to take advantage of my politeness/civility, as their protheleltising,
progresses.

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com

Old November 21st 03, 05:30 AM
Chris Hoffmann

Just praying at the home dinner table is becoming something of an
anachronism these days, but there are still families (like mine) who do pray
before dinner at restaurants. I can't say that that applies at McDonald's,
because we hardly ever have a sit down dinner at a fast food restaurant, but
if we bring home some KFC, yes we set the table and say grace.

I've had similar experiences - twice in college, once in a mall parking lot.
Sometimes it's enough to tell them my father is a minister (which he is),
but other times they do what your two gentlemen did. All you can do is
excuse yourself and go elsewhere. Some people take the "go ye therefore and
teach all nations" line a BIT too seriously. I think it's great that they
have placed such importance on the souls of others, but badgering a person
isn't the way to convert the masses.

As I said, Dad's a minister, and he would be appalled by behavior like that.
I never asked him why he of all people wouldn't appreciate zeal like that,
but then in all the bible studies I had as a kid, not once did Christ go
seeking out people to convert. They came to Him, and perhaps that's how it
should be.

Old November 21st 03, 02:39 PM
Jay Honeck

Just praying at the home dinner table is becoming something of an
anachronism these days, but there are still families (like mine) who do

pray
before dinner at restaurants. I can't say that that applies at McDonald's,
because we hardly ever have a sit down dinner at a fast food restaurant,

but
if we bring home some KFC, yes we set the table and say grace.

When we eat a sit-down meal at home (increasingly rare these days) we ALWAYS
say a prayer, mostly out of tradition but also because it's simply a nice
thing to do.

When I was growing up, my family sat stoically at the table and recited the
old "Bless us, oh Lord..." prayer.

Mary's family, on the other hand, always joined hands, and said the "God is
great, God is good..." prayer.

As a result, in our family we now all join hands, and say BOTH prayers --
even though we do not practice any organized religion.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 03, 05:45 AM
John Gaquin

Jay.....
Such aggressive proselytizing is rude at best, but not all that uncommon.
The fault, however, for allowing them to ruin your lunch is yours alone.
From your narrative, I'd guess you could have left that table having only
wasted five minutes.

There are many of us that were raised "hyper-catholic", to use your phrase,
but not many still carry such a large chip on their shoulder as you. You
really ought to learn to get by all that. It's pretty sad that you can
allow a couple of one-issue old guys to ruin a couple of days of your life.

JG

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Yesterday was clear, in the 60s (in November in Iowa!),

Old November 21st 03, 02:41 PM
Jay Honeck

There are many of us that were raised "hyper-catholic", to use your
phrase,
but not many still carry such a large chip on their shoulder as you. You
really ought to learn to get by all that. It's pretty sad that you can
allow a couple of one-issue old guys to ruin a couple of days of your

life.

???

What chip am I carrying? And how have they ruined more than my lunch?

Sign me "confused"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 03, 03:48 PM
John Gaquin

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

???

What chip am I carrying?

Re-read your own post. The whole tone is one of over-reaction. Granted,
these guys were obnoxiously intrusive, no excuse, but you do sort of carry
on about them. From the time they said Grace before lunch, you took
thirteen paragraphs to relate something that could have been told in three
or four. I think you really *wanted* to rant. Clearly, evangelizing
organized religion is a hot-button with you.

And how have they ruined more than my lunch?

By your own account, you and Mary rehashed the event all the way home. I'm
betting the subject wasn't dropped on arrival back at Iowa City, either.
And the following day you were still incensed enough to post a rather
lengthy message to the NG. So, these guys had you locked and stressed for a
day and a half, anyway.

Jay, I'm no missionary, but I'm not an atheist or agnostic, either. There
are whackos everywhere, in all walks of life. There are guys I know in
airline cockpits I wouldn't want moving into my neighborhood! You just
can't let them get you wired like this!

That's all I meant.

JG