Good things ALSO happen at airshows

Old September 30th 04, 04:19 PM
Dudley Henriques

Default Good things ALSO happen at airshows

Thought you folks might enjoy reading this. I touched on it in another
thread.
It's in the introduction of the official history book of the
Thunderbirds
"We Rode The Thunder", written by my good friend Bob Gore of the
Thunderbirds and is a first person account of an event witnessed by a
spectator named Earl Watkins.
I've pasted it in below for you. It represents an alternate window from
which to view airshows and the people who make up the airshow community.

From We Rode the Thunder ; A personal letter to Bob Gore from Earl
Watkins;

"Look, Mom! There Are Four of Them!"

I have been a Thunderbird fan for over 40 years. I heard that you are
working on
a 50th Anniversary memory book. It’s a great idea.
Years ago, when the Thunderbirds were here, I heard your commander say
that the
mission of the Thunderbirds was not to fly air shows. That surprised
me, but he
went on to explain that the purpose of the air show was to attract
people so you
could tell the Air Force story; so you could show the positive effect
the Air
Force has on their lives. I lived one of those stories.
I had a Thunderbird model display in a hanger at the Rickenbacker Air
Force Base
open house. About two hours before the Thunderbirds flew, I saw a woman
struggle to push her teenage son into the hangar in his wheel chair.
The boy
was bent over, drool on his shirt. I think he had cerebral palsy. The
woman’s
face was gaunt with creases that only a hopeless struggle leaves behind.
She pointed around the hangar in an unrewarded attempt to spark a
response from
him. “Here! Look here! Look over there. A real airplane.” The boy
didn’t
move from his slump.
After a while, she pushed him outside, her hip against the wheelchair to
get it
over the hangar door tracks. Several times I’d leave my display and
look out to
see the sun beat down on the concrete and the people mill around the
static
displays. I would see her in the distance, wheeling her son around the
airplanes while she pointed.
Sometime later she pushed him back into the hangar to escape the heat,
her face
beaded with perspiration and her son lifeless. She closed her eyes and
smiled
in the cool air. Her life was one of simple pleasures.
Other folks filled the hangar to escape the heat, and I grew anxious as
I heard
the jets start. As much as I loved this hangar and everything in it, I
was here
to watch the Thunderbirds. I was torn by my growing apprehension at
missing
your show and not wanting to leave the woman alone with her son. I
heard the
jets move down the taxiway, then go to full afterburner for takeoff.
I helped her roll the wheelchair over the hangar door tracks after the
solos had
taken off. We were about 25 feet in front of the hangar when the
Diamond flew
right over our heads for the opening pass.
The boy looked up. He pointed with his wrist, “Look, Mom. There are
four of
them.”
The woman stood, eyes wide and jaw dropped. Tears streamed down her
cheeks.
“He hasn’t spoken in years.” Their eyes met, the first time in a long
while I
think. She dropped to her knees and hugged him. I patted her back as
she
sobbed. I had just seen a miracle.
I held my hand on her back and watched the beautiful red, white, and
blue
airplanes describe graceful trails through the sky. I knew that each
pilot
worked at his craft, not knowing that down here, among the hundreds of
thousands
of people, they had caused a young man’s world to glow for just a
moment. They
could not know that the person who loved him more than any other now
knelt by
his side in emotional exhaustion.
I had come to see an air show, but you showed me a matter of the heart.
You had
just told me a story…your story. What the commander said was right.
After the team landed, I went to get autographs for the woman and her
son, but
when I returned to the hangar, they were gone. I have not seen them
again.
Somewhere out here, somewhere in this vast great land, there is a woman
who
cleans, feeds, and clothes her helpless son. Maybe, just maybe, he
still sees
the four red, white, and blue jets streak through his memory, gives her
an
uneven smile and says “Look, Mom. There are four of them.”
As you write your book, remember, your story is not only about you, but
also
about how important you are to us.–Earl Watkins

I sincerely hope, in light of all the crash video discussion going on
these days, that reading this story has given some of you at least, an
alternate window from which to view the airshow community and it's
people.
Thank you
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Flight Instructor/Aerobatics/Retired

Old September 30th 04, 04:55 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:19:55 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

--excerpt from Thunderbird book snipped--

I sincerely hope, in light of all the crash video discussion going on
these days, that reading this story has given some of you at least, an
alternate window from which to view the airshow community and it's
people.
Thank you
Dudley Henriques

It's beyond simply airshows and the demonstration community, it's
aviation in its entirety. It gives man a reason to look up, to
challenge the impossible, to break the chains that tie us to our
mundane lives.

"wheeled and soared, and did a thousand things you have not dreamed
of..."

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Old September 30th 04, 05:32 PM
Tony Volk

Nice story Dudley. As Ed said, it applies to more than just airshows, and
it shows that not all heroes are soldiers. Cheers,

Tony

Old September 30th 04, 07:00 PM
Richard Russell

wrote:

Thought you folks might enjoy reading this. I touched on it in another
thread.
It's in the introduction of the official history book of the
Thunderbirds
"We Rode The Thunder", written by my good friend Bob Gore of the
Thunderbirds and is a first person account of an event witnessed by a
spectator named Earl Watkins.
I've pasted it in below for you. It represents an alternate window from
which to view airshows and the people who make up the airshow community.

From We Rode the Thunder ; A personal letter to Bob Gore from Earl
Watkins;

"Look, Mom! There Are Four of Them!"

snipped.....

Dudley,

I look forward to, and read, all of your posts and have learned much
from them. I appreciate all of the time that you've taken to expound
in detail on many difficult subjects. You obviously have a great love
for flying and for teaching people about flying.

I don't, however, appreciate you putting me in a position where I have
to explain why I'm wiping tears from my eyes at work

Rich Russell
Old September 30th 04, 07:22 PM
Howard Austin

wrote:

--excerpt from Thunderbird book snipped--

I sincerely hope, in light of all the crash video discussion going on
these days, that reading this story has given some of you at least, an
alternate window from which to view the airshow community and it's
people.
Thank you
Dudley Henriques

It's beyond simply airshows and the demonstration community, it's
aviation in its entirety. It gives man a reason to look up, to
challenge the impossible, to break the chains that tie us to our
mundane lives.

"wheeled and soared, and did a thousand things you have not dreamed
of..."

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org

Don't exagerate,Ed. John claimed only "a hundred things".

Howard Austin

Howard Austin
none
Old September 30th 04, 07:47 PM
Dudley Henriques

wrote:

Dudley,

I look forward to, and read, all of your posts and have learned much
from them. I appreciate all of the time that you've taken to expound
in detail on many difficult subjects. You obviously have a great love
for flying and for teaching people about flying.

I don't, however, appreciate you putting me in a position where I have
to explain why I'm wiping tears from my eyes at work

Rich Russell

Remind me someday, and perhaps I'll post a few words about Jim and Katie
Ford.........they never flew an airplane..........just regular wonderful
old folks..........came to every airshow in their camper to see the team
no matter where the show was.......loved the Thunderbirds.........loved
BY the Thunderbirds..........Jim, suffering from a cruel illness, made
an honorary crew chief of the team in 69......Katie, an honorary crew
chief in 71......Jim passed away in 94.......Katie diagnosed with
Alzheimer's, died a few years ago.........BOTH are carried on the
Thunderbird roll of honor and always will be a part of the team.

There are REAL people out there.

Dudley

Old September 30th 04, 08:18 PM
OtisWinslow

"Richard Russell" wrote in message
I don't, however, appreciate you putting me in a position where I have
to explain why I'm wiping tears from my eyes at work

Rich Russell

It's a good position for us all to be in
occasionally.

Old September 30th 04, 08:49 PM
Jack Allison

Great story Dudley...got a Kleenex? For some strange reason, my eyes
are watering... go figure :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old September 30th 04, 09:40 PM
Jack G

Thanks Dudley for another quality post. You have raised the level of
quality on this group by several notches.

Jack G.

Old October 1st 04, 02:57 AM
BTIZ

Been there Dudley... I know what you mean...

BT

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
nk.net...
Thought you folks might enjoy reading this. I touched on it in another
thread.
It's in the introduction of the official history book of the
Thunderbirds
"We Rode The Thunder", written by my good friend Bob Gore of the
Thunderbirds and is a first person account of an event witnessed by a
spectator named Earl Watkins.
I've pasted it in below for you. It represents an alternate window from
which to view airshows and the people who make up the airshow community.

From We Rode the Thunder ; A personal letter to Bob Gore from Earl
[...]

Good plans-built Light Sport Aircraft Rob Schneider Home Built 15 August 19th 04 05:50 PM
Good Good America Chris Mark Military Aviation 4 July 9th 04 05:25 PM
bulding a kitplane maybe Van's RV9A --- a good idea ????? Flightdeck Home Built 10 September 9th 03 07:20 PM
A Good Story Badwater Bill Home Built 15 September 3rd 03 03:00 PM
IR checkride story! Guy Elden Jr. Instrument Flight Rules 16 August 1st 03 09:03 PM