2 Place Experimental....

Old September 5th 03, 04:20 PM

Default 2 Place Experimental....

Just the other day I saw a two place Sailplane , factory built, but with an experimental label in the cockpit.
I'm 99% sure it was not in the ameateur built catagory.

What are the rules about carying passengers in the "Other" experimental catgories?

Are these rules ever enforced?

Old September 5th 03, 09:27 PM
JJ Sinclair

Paul wrote..
What are the rules about carying passengers in the "Other" experimental
catgories?

As I understand it, one may give a ride in an Experimental two-place sailplane,
but he can't charge for it. A bigger problem is that instruction is not allowed
to be given in a two-place sailplane.

Are these rules ever enforced?

Probably not, until you have an accident and then your insurance company will
be quite interested in your activities.
JJ Sinclair
Old September 6th 03, 01:42 AM
Judy Ruprecht

At 23:00 05 September 2003, F.L. Whiteley wrote:

Can a DPE give a check ride in an experimental glider
and charge for services?

Yup. Per Order 8710.3c, the aircraft must be certificated
as either amateur built or for exhibition purposes.
This presumes, per Chapter 5, paragraph 13(b), that
the examiner is willing, required tasks are permitted
by FAA-issued operating limitations and the aircraft
is capable of performing flight test tasks. (Irrespective
of airworthiness certification, there are provisions
for using 2 different aircraft for a practical test
if required maneuvers can't all be demonstrated in
one aircraft.)

Judy

Old September 6th 03, 04:24 AM
David Kinsell

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message ...
Paul wrote..
What are the rules about carying passengers in the "Other" experimental
catgories?

As I understand it, one may give a ride in an Experimental two-place sailplane,
but he can't charge for it. A bigger problem is that instruction is not allowed
to be given in a two-place sailplane.

What's your basis for making that statement?

Old September 6th 03, 04:55 AM
JJ Sinclair

David Kinsell wrote
What's your basis for making that statement?

I am a part owner of an ASH-25, (2 -place) liceenced Experimental, Exhibition/
Racing.

From my Operating Limitations:

1. No person may operate this aircraft for other than the purpose of exhibition
/ air racing That lets out giving instruction.

14. No person may operate this aircraft for carrying persons or property for
compensation or hire. That lets out getting paid, but allows me to
give someone a free ride, but in my case, I would, of course, be practicing for
"Air Racing" and not just "sight-seeing"
JJ Sinclair
Old September 6th 03, 06:34 AM

1. No person may operate this aircraft for other than the purpose of exhibition
/ air racing That lets out giving instruction.

I though that racing/exhibition also limited you to only
required crew?

Old September 6th 03, 02:11 PM
JJ Sinclair

Paul wrote

I though that racing/exhibition also limited you to only
required crew?

Yes, thats correct and on my ASH-25 the required crew is Pilot and Co-pilot or
as my son puts it; JJ and his baby sitter.
JJ Sinclair
Old September 6th 03, 02:13 PM
David Kinsell

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message ...
David Kinsell wrote
What's your basis for making that statement?

I am a part owner of an ASH-25, (2 -place) liceenced Experimental, Exhibition/
Racing.

From my Operating Limitations:

1. No person may operate this aircraft for other than the purpose of exhibition
/ air racing That lets out giving instruction.

Oh, because some a/c licensed as Experimental, Exhibition/Racing
have those restrictions, that means that all aircraft licensed as
Experimental have those same restrictions?? That's a form of
logic I'm not familiar with.

14. No person may operate this aircraft for carrying persons or property for
compensation or hire. That lets out getting paid, but allows me to
give someone a free ride, but in my case, I would, of course, be practicing for
"Air Racing" and not just "sight-seeing"
JJ Sinclair

Giving free joy rides could easily be interpreted as not flying for the purpose
of air racing.

Old September 7th 03, 03:03 AM
JohnH

JJ Sinclair wrote:
David Kinsell wrote

What's your basis for making that statement?

I am a part owner of an ASH-25, (2 -place) liceenced Experimental, Exhibition/
Racing.

From my Operating Limitations:

1. No person may operate this aircraft for other than the purpose of exhibition
/ air racing That lets out giving instruction.

huh? You mean precludes?

john
orlandoshire fl