Instrumentation ergonomics

Old September 8th 03, 12:06 AM
Marc Ramsey

"Mike Borgelt" wrote...
"tango4" wrote:
I'm leaning towards the following solution, track is laid down in a single
colour and where a 'significant patch' of lift is detected simply pasting a
lift symbol over the trace, the same for sink areas. In the smaller scales
making a selection of plus and minus signs or alternative colours.

If this is intended for use in flight how about deleting that feature
so thata the pilot looks outside more.

I've implemented this feature in my PDA software, and found that it is
essentially worthless for thermalling, which is the most likely scenario for
head down flying. What it is invaluable for is returning quickly to areas of
lift, and in particular, for working patches of wave. In either case, an
occasional glance is all that is required to make sure one is heading in the
right direction.

In my case, I use fixed size (2x2) dots for the track, black for climb less than
0, increasing intensities of green for 0 to 5 knots, and full intensity green
for over 5 knots.

Marc

Old September 8th 03, 02:21 AM
Ray Lovinggood

One feature I would like to see added: Voice command.
Especially useful when a task is changed when you
are already in the air. Eyeballs can stay focused
to things outside of the cockpit and the pilot just
simply (yea, right; everything is simple with computers...)
speaks to the instrument stating 'Change to Task B'
or 'New Task: turnpoints 1, 17, 31, 54' or whatever.

Maybe I can get that as standard on my LS (I mean DG)
22 when I order it in about 20 years?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS (DG?) 1d

Old September 8th 03, 04:14 PM
tango4

It'll come a little sooner than that I think but I suspect there may be some
other interaction too. A bit like a PDA PTT otherwise the white noise in a
sailplane cockpit will continously be chewing processor power.

The other thing to consider is voice feedback. It may sound a bit silly but
you could concentrate outside the cockpit and interface to a PDA via a
joystick mounted or left hand keypad if the PDA was telling you what it was
up to.

Ian

Old September 8th 03, 04:16 PM
tango4

I found the display format I'm using very helpful in centring the lift. More
than once it was helpful when scraping away from low altitude in the
Pyrenees when I first used it. A couple of turns and it was usually quite
obvious if you were off centre. You are quite right about the head down
stuff though. One has to be very careful not to get focussed on the display

Ian

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
. com...