A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Air Force wants to use Utah Test Range to test drones

Old September 21st 19, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

Default Air Force wants to use Utah Test Range to test drones

https://www.standard.net/news/milita...53443a22f.html

They are looking to carve out a new, though small, restricted area, R-6401, near the Wendover Airport and adjacent to the existing restricted (RA) airspace R-6406A up to 58K MSL.

When this is implemented it will affect glider flying out of Ely, NV and possibly Nephi and Parowan, UT.

I would encourage everyone that flies in the Great Basin area of Utah and Nevada to read the proposal linked in the article and provide feedback. I will be writing to remind the Air Force that glider activity utilizes the air space around the restricted areas and occasional the restricted areas when permitted via Clover Control as that activity is not mentioned in Section 3.1.2.2 Civil Airspace Use.

Ron Gleason
Old September 22nd 19, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The AF map is on page 1-4 in this.
https://www.hill.af.mil/Portals/58/d...erAirspace.pdf

It looks pretty harmless, but it does seem a good idea to be on record agreeing with it so if they ask for something big...
Old September 23rd 19, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 5:06:33 AM UTC-7, wrote:
The AF map is on page 1-4 in this.
https://www.hill.af.mil/Portals/58/d...erAirspace.pdf

It looks pretty harmless, but it does seem a good idea to be on record agreeing with it so if they ask for something big...

I had a curious incident at Ely this summer. I was heading north up the valley out of Ely at about 15,000 ft when I got a Flarm target 400 ft above me at a range of 4 nm heading south. I watched in the direction indicated as the target got closer both in range and altitude. It passed me at my altitude about 0.5 nm to the east and continued south until Flarm lost it. I never saw the target.

Tom