A different look

Old January 22nd 20, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

Default A different look

At 01:58 22 January 2020, Robert Seccombe SE3 wrote:
Nick,

I wanted something other than white too. I went with an off white

cream
with dark blue trim.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qwykw0Wzw2PACDgi9-

QvyeKUcvgCgS07/view?usp=sharing

On a sunny day run your hand over the paint /white interface and
feel the temperature difference.

If you had ever been there when some one couldn't close the canopy
because of the expansion differences you wouldn't risk a colour
anywhere near the cockpit.

Old January 22nd 20, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Jonathon May wrote on 1/22/2020 3:46 AM:
At 01:58 22 January 2020, Robert Seccombe SE3 wrote:
Nick,

I wanted something other than white too. I went with an off white

cream
with dark blue trim.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qwykw0Wzw2PACDgi9-

QvyeKUcvgCgS07/view?usp=sharing

On a sunny day run your hand over the paint /white interface and
feel the temperature difference.

If you had ever been there when some one couldn't close the canopy
because of the expansion differences you wouldn't risk a colour
anywhere near the cockpit.

Wouldn't the higher temperature cause by the color expand the cockpit, and make it
easier to latch the canopy?

Old January 22nd 20, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

At 16:14 22 January 2020, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Jonathon May wrote on 1/22/2020 3:46 AM:
At 01:58 22 January 2020, Robert Seccombe SE3 wrote:
Nick,

I wanted something other than white too. I went with an off

white
cream
with dark blue trim.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qwykw0Wzw2PACDgi9-

QvyeKUcvgCgS07/view?usp=sharing

On a sunny day run your hand over the paint /white interface and
feel the temperature difference.

If you had ever been there when some one couldn't close the

canopy
because of the expansion differences you wouldn't risk a colour
anywhere near the cockpit.

Wouldn't the higher temperature cause by the color expand the

cockpit, and
make it
easier to latch the canopy?

email

me)

https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ions/download-

the-guide-1

Not sure why the canopy will not lock but I have seen it happen too
often for it to be a myth.
I think the grp shrinks with heat and the canopy expands

But you can defiantly feel the temperature difference between colour
and white

Old January 22nd 20, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op woensdag 22 januari 2020 19:45:05 UTC+1 schreef Jonathon May:
[...]

This does happen quite often. Not so sure about paint, but a friend of mine owns an Arcus T. On a hot day, he uses a bucket of water and a towel to lower the temperature of the canopy, or else it won't close.
Old January 22nd 20, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Sierra Echo Three-
That is a very nice ride you got there!
Nothing like a little style to brighten your day!
Old January 22nd 20, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

GRP expands with temperature. Carbon fibre shrinks.