2020 Canadian National Soaring Championships May 27-June 5

Old February 10th 20, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2020 Canadian National Soaring Championships May 27-June 5

Join us at the Edmonton Soaring Club in Chipman, AB for the 2020 Canadian National Soaring Championships, May 27-June 5.

US pilots are welcome!

Chipman is home to numerous Canadian soaring records including a 1100km straight out flight, a 750km triangle and many speed records. 10,000ft cloudbases are common.

The club has a campground with spaces available throughout the contest and a fully equipped clubhouse. Social events are planned throughout the week including an open-mic music night at the local pub and an RC club demonstration.

Registration and more info is available on our website: http://cdnnats.soaringchampionships.ca/
Old February 16th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

What is required to fly my LS3a in Canada - Its got a Standard Airworthiness certificate?
On the contest website there is a experimental application page..
Thanks in Advance!
Old February 16th 20, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Nick,

With Std Airworthiness no special forms are required. You will need to check the medical requirements, I believe Canada requires a flight medical to fly gliders.

Too bad the Canadian contest overlaps the US Nationals or I would go. We had a great experience at the PanAm last year at SOSA.
Old February 16th 20, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 9:44:32 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
Nick,

With Std Airworthiness no special forms are required. You will need to check the medical requirements, I believe Canada requires a flight medical to fly gliders.

Too bad the Canadian contest overlaps the US Nationals or I would go. We had a great experience at the PanAm last year at SOSA.

Hi Nick

Thanks for your interest. Tim is correct regarding your glider with a Standard Type Certificate. Nothing required, just bring it over and fly.

I will try to find out if you additionally need a medical. It's hard to find an answer sifting through the regs. I'll give them a call on Monday.

Chris
Old February 16th 20, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 2:19:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 9:44:32 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
Nick,

With Std Airworthiness no special forms are required. You will need to check the medical requirements, I believe Canada requires a flight medical to fly gliders.

Too bad the Canadian contest overlaps the US Nationals or I would go. We had a great experience at the PanAm last year at SOSA.

Hi Nick

Thanks for your interest. Tim is correct regarding your glider with a Standard Type Certificate. Nothing required, just bring it over and fly.

I will try to find out if you additionally need a medical. It's hard to find an answer sifting through the regs. I'll give them a call on Monday.

Chris

Here's a link from a Transport Canada (think FAA)/Canadian Owners and Pilot Association (COPA - think AOPA) presentation on trans-border flying given at Air Venture 2019. It assumes flying across the border, but there is still good info there (obviously no flight plan for trailering across). https://copanational.org/en/international-flying/

There is a note on the "Flying to Canada" page https://copanational.org/en/flyingtocanada/ that says: "BasicMed – Flying in Canadian Airspace: Due to the non ICAO-compliant nature of the BasicMed regime, Transport Canada does not currently allow aircraft to be operated in Canadian airspace by U.S. pilots flying under BasicMed. This includes transiting without landing (i.e. to/from Alaska). COPA is currently collaborating with AOPA and Transport Canada on a way forward which would allow certain BasicMed operations that comply with the restrictions imposed on Canadian Recreational Pilot Permit Holders."

This is similar to the U.S. restriction on the Canadian Category 4 - self-declaration - medical, so we need to have a Category 3 medical when flying in the U.S.. You'd think that a reciprocal agreement between the FAA and Transport Canada wouldn't be difficult...