Contest Number on PowerFlarm (US)??

Old August 24th 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Contest Number on PowerFlarm (US)??

Recently got my powerflarm brick. I uploaded my Mode S transponder code per the instructions, but

A - I haven't found a place to enter a contest number

B - Has anyone else out there got their contest number loaded and visible to the rest of the PowerFlarm world? If so, how is that done. No mention in the "manual".

Thanks,

Gary
Old August 24th 12, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Friday, August 24, 2012 11:41:35 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
Recently got my powerflarm brick. I uploaded my Mode S transponder code per the instructions, but

A - I haven't found a place to enter a contest number

B - Has anyone else out there got their contest number loaded and visible to the rest of the PowerFlarm world? If so, how is that done. No mention in the "manual".

Thanks,

Gary

Check the 'flarmnet' thread earlier.
Here are the steps again:

1 - you first need to get your ICAO ID which is available online at http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...m_Inquiry.aspx
2 - Convert it to Hex using the conversion tool at http://www.kloth.net/radio/icao24lookup.php
3 - Enter your Hex ICAO ID to your config file e.g.
$pflac,s,id,FFFFFF
4 - Register your converted ICAO ID on flarmnet as your Radio ID
http://www.flarmnet.org/content/inde...pper&Itemid=33
5 - Download the latest file from
http://www.flarmnet.org/content/inde...23&Itemi d=26
and upload to your Flight Computer/PDA if it supports flarm, as well as your butterfly display.

Ramy
Old August 24th 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Friday, August 24, 2012 11:41:35 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
Recently got my powerflarm brick. I uploaded my Mode S transponder code per the instructions, but A - I haven't found a place to enter a contest number B - Has anyone else out there got their contest number loaded and visible to the rest of the PowerFlarm world? If so, how is that done. No mention in the "manual". Thanks, Gary

Your FLARM ID. or your ICAO ID if defined, is associated with your personal details such as contest number by means of the data you declare during FLARM Net registration.

That declared information, for all registed pilots, can be loaded to other pilot's systems as a FLARMnet file. It those other pilot's systems see your FLARM ID, or your ICAO ID, they will be able to display your personal information such as your contest number. (if the receiving system supports that capability)

You contest number can also be input to FLARM using the command

$pflac,s,COMPID,{contest number}

but this is likely only used in the logger function and is not for identifying your FLARM signal to other pilots.

Andy GY

Old August 25th 12, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Fidler[_2_]

On Friday, August 24, 2012 6:02:49 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
[...]

I count 5 hurdles to make it happen, don't you just love electronics. The Flarm team should be supplying all the instructions to make this happen.
Old August 25th 12, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

I count 5 hurdles to make it happen, don't you just love electronics. The Flarm team should be supplying all the instructions to make this happen.

First two steps can be combined if you use http://www.avionictools.com/icao..html; this gives both hex and octal (dunno why you'd need the octal for FLARM) addresses directly for N- and C- registrations. Stuff that into your PF - which you have to configure anyway to tell it it's in a glider - and register it on FLARMnet. Took a few seconds for me today.

Now, if I could only figure out where to put the flarmnet file for it to read into my Brick...

Dan
Old August 26th 12, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but what I came up with is that you need the special cable and 3.3V power supply to upload the flarmnet file the butterfly display for the Brick version. Supposeably the next version of firmware for the flarm will allow you to put the flarmnet file on your thumb drive and insert it into the Flarm, The flarm will then transfer the file to the butterfly display.

I decided to just wait for the new firmware, if that doesn't happen I may look into making the cable to upload to the butterfly display.

Brian
Old August 26th 12, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, that's correct.
The special cable is easy to manufacture from 2 boards, in case you want to go that route until the new firmware allows display updates through the USB stick.
See here for my cable.
https://sites.google.com/site/threeu...terfly-display
3U
Old August 26th 12, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

Having just installed the Core with the BF display I can share that it is absurd.
1. I have tried several USB sticks trying to update firmware but I don't think it is updating.
2. There is also no way to confirm that the setup actually set up. So is it working or not?
3. The entire Hex conversion process could be so much better but what you get from the manual is a lot of arrogant blather. (FCC stupid, Microsoft stupid, Power Flarm creators are genius, hex is your problem because PowerFlarm geniuses can't be bothered, etc.)
4. inscrutable operating manual.

Old August 26th 12, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 10:53:42 PM UTC-7, brianDG303 wrote:

2. There is also no way to confirm that the setup actually set up. So is it working or not?

It is easy to see if the parameters specifications that you uploaded has been accepted by the brick.

Include this command in you config file:

$debug_out,fat,scheduler|config|baro|rf|gps|pffsm, all

After power up has completed wait a couple of minutes then remove the USB device.

Plug the USB device into a computer and open the file PFCxxxxx.txt (where xxxxx is the serial number of your brick) with a text editor. Don't look for the file by date as the file date defaults to Jan 2010.

The configuration data is all there for your enjoyment.

Regarding HEX/Octal etc - There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Andy, GY

Old August 26th 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:53:49 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
On Saturday, August 25, 2012 10:53:42 PM UTC-7, brianDG303 wrote:

2. There is also no way to confirm that the setup actually set up. So is it working or not?

It is easy to see if the parameters specifications that you uploaded has been accepted by the brick.

Include this command in you config file:

$debug_out,fat,scheduler|config|baro|rf|gps|pffsm, all

After power up has completed wait a couple of minutes then remove the USB device.

Plug the USB device into a computer and open the file PFCxxxxx.txt (where xxxxx is the serial number of your brick) with a text editor. Don't look for the file by date as the file date defaults to Jan 2010.

The configuration data is all there for your enjoyment.

Regarding HEX/Octal etc - There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Andy, GY

Hi Andy,
I appreciate your response, it is very helpful.

Question, can you clarify the following instruction from the CONFIG file:

# Write a debug log file to micro-SD card during flight.
# Brick ignores this if you remove USB stick (you must remove USB stick
# for flight)
$debug_out,fat,scheduler|config|baro|rf|gps|pffsm, all

I am having a difficult time understanding "Brick ignores this if you remove USB stick (you must remove USB stick for flight)" because that seems to say you have to have the stick in and the stick out during the flight. ??

Also a suggestion. An instruction in the CONFIG file says:

# Find your aircraft's "Mode S code".
# Unfortunately, FAA gives it in "Octal" notation.
# Since the late 1970's nobody in the world uses Octal. Except FAA.
# So, we didn't program Octal input support.
# So, you need to convert the FAA's foolish Octal into hex:
# - In LibreOffice, use the conversion function =OCT2HEX(0751243)
# - In Microsoft Excel, Tools AddIns enable Analysis Toolpak,
# and then use =OCT2HEX as in LibreOffice (its always harder
# with Microsoft - "Where do you want to waste time today ?").

OK, so I don't have LibreOffice and my version of Excel doesn't have the Toolpak. It took a bit longer to find a converter online than one would expect, but here is an example, perhaps PF-USA could just mention it or link to it from their website:

http://www.digitconvert.com/

Again, thanks for your help, I'll give it a try.

Brian

contest number question Gary Emerson Soaring 22 February 9th 18 04:15 PM
PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available Paul Remde Soaring 30 May 25th 12 11:58 PM
PowerFLARM Paul Remde Soaring 9 November 6th 10 04:30 AM
Contest Number Removal Roy Bourgeois Soaring 4 March 31st 07 09:12 PM
Pitts Number 1 registration number Mirco Aerobatics 3 December 4th 04 11:50 AM