Follow-up to earlier posting - Taking hand-held transceivers on commercial airlines

Old October 29th 03, 01:30 AM
Harry Gordon

Default Follow-up to earlier posting - Taking hand-held transceivers on commercial airlines

Hi folks. Just returned from a fantastic vacation in WI. In my previous
posting I was concerned about taking my hand-held radio on-board with me.
Well, just to let you know...I went through 2 security screenings (one at
SAT and the other at MKE). At SAT, they didn't like all the wires in my
flight bag (what they saw on x-ray). I had 2 headsets, battery re-chargers,
etc. in my flight bag - a lot of wires. Well as they pulled various things
out I told the examiner what it was and he was happy. Never once did he even
comment about the radio. I had taken off the antenna but had left the
battery pack attached. At MKE, they didn't even ask to go through the flight
bag. I told them prior to it going through the x-ray machine what it was and
what was in it. So, all-in-all, no problems. Just thought you might like to
know.... now, if I could just find some way to keep the hook in my pants
from setting off the walk-thru.... :-)

Harry

Old October 29th 03, 02:17 AM
Morgans

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message
Hi folks. Just returned from a fantastic vacation in WI. In my previous
posting I was concerned about taking my hand-held radio on-board with me.
Well, just to let you know...I went through 2 security screenings (one at
SAT and the other at MKE). At SAT, they didn't like all the wires in my
flight bag (what they saw on x-ray).

snip

Just thought you might like to
know.... now, if I could just find some way to keep the hook in my pants
from setting off the walk-thru.... :-)

Harry

You call your unit the hook? WoW!

Sorry, don't plonk me everyone! I couldn't resist! I won't do it again.
:-)

Interesting. Thanks.

A couple years ago, I flew into Milwaukee, for OSH. I was camping with the
explorers, and I am a hopeless gadgethead. No power in the tent, so I had a
"jump start" battery pack to provide power for recharging the handheld, a
power inverter for the laptop, a charger for batteries for the digital
camera, and other radios, a voltmeter, various jumpers and other chargers
and stuff. I would charge the pack by day and power my other stuff at
night. I packed most of it in my check in bag, fully expecting it to be
opened, but as far as I could tell, they didn't touch it. I was surprised.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 29th 03, 05:25 AM
StellaStar

Jim in NC sez:
You call your unit the hook? WoW!

ROTFL!
I'm planning the holiday wait-at-the-airport season again, and though I'll
forget and wear the shoes that always have to get their own trip through the
x-ray machine, I've had nothing but pleasant encounters with the Wand People. I
let them know I respect the job they have to do, intend to cooperate, and try
to be friendly about it. They're not the enemy, nor am I, so we just try to get
through it as expeditiously as we can.
Old October 29th 03, 11:32 AM
Cub Driver

Sorry, don't plonk me everyone! I couldn't resist! I won't do it again.

I for one only plonk the obnoxious, the ignorant, and the trolls.
Flippant is perfectly okay--often welcome.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 29th 03, 12:45 PM
EDR

In article , StellaStar
wrote:

"the Wand People"

That's politically correct term.
To the rest of us, they are known as fairy's.
Old October 30th 03, 04:04 AM
Capt. Doug

Harry Gordon wrote in message So, all-in-all, no problems. Just thought
you might like to know.

Unlike today at Palm Beach Int'l where the bombsquad took a steamer trunk
out to a remote part of the airport to blow up a suspicious item. It turned
out to be a holloween costume. The flight was delayed only 45 minutes.

... now, if I could just find some way to keep the hook in my pants
from setting off the walk-thru.... :-)

Don't wear pants. :-)

D.

Old October 30th 03, 02:42 PM
Harry Gordon

SNIP

... now, if I could just find some way to keep the hook in my pants
from setting off the walk-thru.... :-)

Don't wear pants. :-)

I read about a guy that followed that advice - I'm not sure if he is still
in jail or not :-). But the idea has crossed my mind.

Harry