A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Oudie 2 profile examples

Old December 7th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2 profile examples

On Saturday, December 5, 2020 at 3:14:10 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
Seeing dozens and dozens of Oudie users from beginners to top competition pilots, disturbing fact is that over half of them use factory default profile. Same thing with brand new 300k gliders with most expensive panel avionics: everything in default settings and some pilots hardly know how to switch variometer from thermal to cruise mode.

LOL, I have to agree. I have friends that don't even know how to operate tech inside their cars! The first thing I do when I purchase " electronic toys" is to make sure I know everything about them.

Paul
Old December 7th 20, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, December 5, 2020 at 9:33:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Paul
I've been a SeeYou mobile user form the start.
On page 1 I set up the nav boxes for cruising, whether it be a racing task or a OLC day.
On page 2 I make sure I have my Track function turned on and have the zoom set to .5 mile.
When I start to thermal I switch to this page and my circles show up and I can see the drift and the strong areas. Color code this track and you can see the stong areas easily.
I personally don't use the graphic Thermal maximizer, but I do use the "Bell" audio function of the thermal maximizer that rings 4 secs before you hit the strong point of your 360.
As Tango Tango mentioned, SYM has ALOT of options, learned most of them sitting in my chair watching TV with the current manuel nearby. Take your time, it will take many sessions to learn all the options, but well worth it!
If your trying for OLC points make sure to turn the OLC track function on as at the end of the day you need to " Close your triangle" If can see the start of your OLC track its easy to CTT.
There is a tutorial out there on the internet on setting up SYM, I'll try and find it and post the link.
Nick
T

I like the idea of the "bell" function; going to try it for the next time I go up. I've tried searching for a tutorial with examples, but I didn't come up with anything.

Thanks,
Old December 8th 20, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Some people like having different data sets, designed for different stages of flight, on Map 1 and Map 2. Personally, I have all the same navboxes that I have on Map 1 in the same place on Map 2, but I also have additional navboxes on Map 2. I find it confusing to have different info in the same place.

I keep Map 2 zoomed in, and Map 1 zoomed out.

I have most of my Navboxes in a block, using 2 line rather than 3 line navboxes to save space. I have key items such as turn left/turn right at the top without a box.

If a friend has a setup you like, you can copy the profile file and just change the polar and logger settings as required.
Old December 9th 20, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 6:42:46 PM UTC-5, waremark wrote:
Some people like having different data sets, designed for different stages of flight, on Map 1 and Map 2. Personally, I have all the same navboxes that I have on Map 1 in the same place on Map 2, but I also have additional navboxes on Map 2. I find it confusing to have different info in the same place.

I keep Map 2 zoomed in, and Map 1 zoomed out.

I have most of my Navboxes in a block, using 2 line rather than 3 line navboxes to save space. I have key items such as turn left/turn right at the top without a box.

If a friend has a setup you like, you can copy the profile file and just change the polar and logger settings as required.

That's how I have it set up now. Map 1 and 2 are equal, except map 2 I have it at 10 nm, and map 1 at 1 nm. I am going to experiment by changing the navbox of map 2 to always show the nearest landing area, and keeping the same zoom level; don't know if that is possible, but will try it later.

Paul