Expanding on LK8000

Old December 9th 12, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Expanding on LK8000

Anyone in US flying with LK8000? Can you compare its friendliness to SYM, XCSoar, or WinPilot Pro?
Old December 9th 12, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 10:32:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Anyone in US flying with LK8000? Can you compare its friendliness to SYM, XCSoar, or WinPilot Pro?

Familiar with XCSoar and LK8000- six of one, half a dozen of the other. Both are excellent. Using XCSoar for a couple of reasons. Have used SYM for a very short time and thought is was ok as well. My opinion is, paying for software will not get you better software, in terms of ease of use, function or support.

Mike
Old January 19th 13, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 9:32:37 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Anyone in US flying with LK8000? Can you compare its friendliness to SYM, XCSoar, or WinPilot Pro?

Any idea as to where I can find some terrain and turn point data for the Lk8000?
Old January 19th 13, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 12:32:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Anyone in US flying with LK8000? Can you compare its friendliness to SYM, XCSoar, or WinPilot Pro?

Terrain maps are downloaded from www.lk8000.it . Go to download maps. The turn points are downloaded from the "Worldwide Turnpoint Exchange". I use cup files. You can also download the special use airspace from this same web site.

Lane
XF
Old January 20th 13, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:30:11 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 12:32:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Anyone in US flying with LK8000? Can you compare its friendliness to SYM, XCSoar, or WinPilot Pro?

Terrain maps are downloaded from www.lk8000.it . Go to download maps. The turn points are downloaded from the "Worldwide Turnpoint Exchange". I use cup files. You can also download the special use airspace from this same web site.

Lane

XF

Thanks Lane. I've checked that site and they have data listed for various programs, but none for LK8000. Are Seeyou download files compatable, or WinPilot, or what?
Guy
Old January 20th 13, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 19, 2013 7:15:56 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:30:11 AM UTC-8, wrote:

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 12:32:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Anyone in US flying with LK8000? Can you compare its friendliness to SYM, XCSoar, or WinPilot Pro?

Terrain maps are downloaded from www.lk8000.it . Go to download maps. The turn points are downloaded from the "Worldwide Turnpoint Exchange". I use cup files. You can also download the special use airspace from this same web site.

Lane

XF

Thanks Lane. I've checked that site and they have data listed for various programs, but none for LK8000. Are Seeyou download files compatable, or WinPilot, or what?

Guy

Sorry Lane. you actually listed two sites. I've looked up the ones on the Lk8000 and there's only one for Nevada and it's at Ely. I'm looking for Southern Nevada.
Guy
Old January 20th 13, 11:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn[_2_]

You can request any map that you would like. The link is
http://www.lk8000.it/faq/52-lkmaps/7...a-new-one.html.
The directions are included. All you need do is copy the template at
the bottom of the page. Fill in the information desired. The required
fields a

(these are the latitude and longitude of the 4 corners of the map
segment you desire)
LONMIN=
LONMAX=
LATMIN=
LATMAX=

(these select the resolutions you desire. You'll get a map for each
resolution. The higher the number, the less resolution and smaller the
map. Generally 500 works in the East. just replace NO with YES for the
desired map)
RES1000=NO
RES500=NO
RES250=NO
RES90=NO

(Set Map Zone to North America)
MAPZONE=NAM

(Use the #REM header to add remarks. You would want to put a
description of the map area, etc in this section. Remove the
extraneous #REM statements)
#REM: PUT YOUR COMMENTS HERE. Write something for other people, so
that it is clear what is this map
#REM: about, or good for. Use even many lines if needed.
#REM: These lines otherwise can be removed of course. If you write
comments, leave the
#REM: header.
#REM: Do not use special characters, only ascii characters please.
#REM:
#REM: This is another line, etc.etc.

Just email the template to the address indicated. You'll receive an
Email in a day or so that your map(s) have been added to the
collection. Download it and go fly.

Charlie

On Jan 19, 10:40*pm, wrote:
[...]

Guy- Hide quoted text -

Old January 21st 13, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

It works with SeeYou Mobile waypoint files, and several airspace file types including Winpilot.
Old January 21st 13, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Dec 9 2012, 9:32*am, wrote:
Anyone in US flying with LK8000? Can you compare its friendliness to SYM, XCSoar, or WinPilot Pro?

I've used LK8000 extensively for 3 seasons (and XCSoar before that).
Using LK8000 as my primary flight computer in the Std Class Nationals
last year, I finished 4th (and all the major mistakes were mine; can't
blame the avionics, sadly!).

In terms of "Friendliness": All of the programs you listed have
roughly the same feature-set, and all are "big" enough that it takes a
little effort to figure out how to configure any of those to display
exactly what you want.

In terms of finding and using terrain files and such, SYM is probably
the best - but of course you pay for it (in other words: since they're
a paid company they can afford to have people sinking time and money
into nice installer files and such). Both LK8000 and XCSoar take a
little bit of effort to download terrain & waypoint files; but its not
hard at all. For LK8000 terrain you simply use the LK8000 website.
For XCSoar terrain/maps there used to be an online terrain generator
you could plug GPS coordinates into (not sure what the standard is
these days). For both, you can download waypoint files and airspace
files from the Worldwide turnpoint exchange (http://soaringweb.org/
TP/). Turnpoint and airspace files come in a few different formats.
The format to use for LK8000 and XCSoar is documented on their
respective website.

Hope this info helps! Feel free to ask if you have further questions.

--Noel