Simulators

Old May 18th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Simulators

On May 17, 4:09*pm, a wrote:

There are several different 'models' of the world here. Many here,
including you, experienced something like this

"Outer Marker Inbound"

"Contact tower now, on nnn.m"

"Going to nnn.m, thanks"

tower says visibility a half mile, ceiling 250 feet, winds 20 gusts 30
at 140 degrees, and you're inbound to runway 10. That's a serious
crosswind.

hand fly down, needles pretty much where they should be, very bumpy,
very dark. The missed approach is memorized, a decision already made
that the alternate, 150 miles away, is what'll happen if the airport
environment isn't in sight at minimums

Through 230 feet agl, big bounces, and there are the lead in strobes,
15 degrees from where the airplane is pointing, exactly where I
thought they'd appear.

Transition to visual, carry an extra 8 knots into the flare, only 20
degrees of flaps, and I start sucking them up going into the flare,
because I want this thing to be done flying when it's on the runway.
The upwind wheel makes contact, then the other main. Flaps retracted
(I know my airplane well enough, and verify time and again my finger
is on the flap control.

Roll out *turn off, get to my tiedown, shut down, tie that baby down
in driving rain, get soaked, get into the car, as high on.Maslow's
hierarchy as one can get, and drive home to a loving wife and a glass
of wine.

'nuf said...... Just reading it brings back the feelings that I have
been there and done it.

And I have.....

It's his loss.

Amen fellow PILOT.
Old May 18th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 17, 5:10*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

It only shows you diverting the problem at hand that you do not
know what it takes to fly a real plane.

Which things does it take that I don't know?

Yet another question answering a question.

Your answer is above. Detail must not be your forte.
Old May 18th 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 17, 5:14*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

If someone could go to your house while you are practicing either of these
armchair activities, lock the door and lose the key, this would make the rest
of society much safer!!

How so?

Another answer with a question. Detail must not be your forte. The
answer is above.
Old May 18th 10, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Richard[_11_]

On May 17, 11:40*am, Ari wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2010 05:20:47 -0700 (PDT), Dudley Henriques wrote:
Never getting upset with you is a tool not a positive trait. In my
opinion it's simply part and parcel of your carefully chosen Usenet
"persona". I've watched this coming from you now for a long enough
period to more than get a positive read on you. By not "getting
upset", you simply wade through the virtual tons of negative responses
you carefully generate and achieve what you apparently view as a
"victory" against your antagonists.

At least one of many /gets it/.

The rest of you are either bored ****less or total fools...or both.
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!http://tr.im/holj
Motto: Live To Spooge It!

True dat.

Makes me miss the happy days when the Bunyip was delivering
smackdowns. *sigh*.
Old May 18th 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On May 17, 6:10*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

Which aircraft do you fly in MSFS, and where did they come from?

Toys-R-Us.

---
Mark
Old May 18th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On May 18, 8:01*am, Richard wrote:
On May 17, 11:40*am, Ari wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2010 05:20:47 -0700 (PDT), Dudley Henriques wrote:
Never getting upset with you is a tool not a positive trait. In my
opinion it's simply part and parcel of your carefully chosen Usenet
"persona". I've watched this coming from you now for a long enough
period to more than get a positive read on you. By not "getting
upset", you simply wade through the virtual tons of negative responses
you carefully generate and achieve what you apparently view as a
"victory" against your antagonists.

At least one of many /gets it/.

The rest of you are either bored ****less or total fools...or both.
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!http://tr.im/holj
Motto: Live To Spooge It!

Richard wrote

Makes me miss the happy days when the Bunyip was delivering
smackdowns. **sigh*.

What killed this group was not the MX related stuff, but the ****ing
contest bynyip et al had started and others with their sock puppets
enthusiastically continued. An objective reader would find far greater
aviation content in the 'pilots ****ed off at MX' days than those that
followed.

Take a look at the history -- it speaks (or prints) for itself.
'
Old May 18th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alpha Propellerhead

On May 16, 5:41*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Some pilots have a great deal of their self-esteem invested in their pilot
licenses. These pilots tend to reject simulation summarily because it dilutes
the prestige

Actually, like I said, I teach in both simulators AND in airplanes,
and you're full of ****.

Not all pilots have this type of mental block against simulation, however, and those who do not may enjoy simulation greatly

Exactly, but that doesn't make you any less full of ****.

Most pilots cannot afford to fly a real airplane during all of their waking hours,

I get paid to fly airplanes but you're still full of ****.

I note that those who refuse to take simulation seriously never enjoy it,
whereas those who do take it seriously find it great fun

Actually people who take simulation seriously sweat profusely.
Occasionally they become "airsick" which is why there's a barf bag
within arm's reach. One time, a guy took it so seriously he freaked
out and yanked the throttle control right out of the simulator
cockpit.

There is a serious side to simulation though, and is clear that MX is not well versed in the subject. *

How so?

Go hop in a Cessna or a Piper and learn for yourself. Until then, you
remain full of ****.

-c
CFI/CP-ASEL-IA
Old May 18th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alpha Propellerhead

On May 16, 5:47*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

I note that people who are hostile towards me here always resent being told
anything by anyone else. They are very conscious of a semi-imaginary
hierarchy, like a treehouse club.

Actually, they're pilots and you're a fraud with a mental/social
disorder. That's all.

I don't mind being told things by others. They're hostile to you
because you're a fake. You talk about things with which you have no
experience as if you're an expert, and argue with literally ANYBODY
who disagrees with you, regardless of their experience. And yet you
continue to have no relevant experience in an actual airplane.

So it's kind of like walking into a doctor's conference with some
journal you read or a printout of something you found on the internet,
and telling the surgeon and staff that you're right and that if they
disagree, they're simply being hostile toward you.

Like playing a video game and then arguing with combat veterans about
what it's like to fight a war.

It's really that simple. Believe it or not, you actually ARE that
screwed in the head. Go out and log a few hours with an instructor and
people's opinions of you will change radically here. Not only that,
but you'll be able to demonstrate that you've flown a plane without
being a liar.

Old May 18th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 18, 1:15*pm, Alpha Propellerhead wrote:

Which is like playing Call of Duty and then claiming you fought in
World War II.

WOW, great "plain English" analogy.

Shame it's being wasted on whom you replied to as Mx won't get
it......

Old May 18th 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alpha Propellerhead

On May 16, 11:57*am, "birdog" wrote:
. Pilots die as a result of major lapses in judgement.

(Pilots die as a result of minor lapses in judgement as well.)

As to "avoiding" *having to recover from unusual attitudes, etc., that is
what learning to fly is all about. Every pilot that has ever solo'd has
balooned on round-out,

One of our students who is about to solo had to contact tower and
report that there was a coyote on the taxiway that wouldn't get out of
her way.

I have a student who is 16 and very eager, wanted to take off and land
on his second flight. He plays MSFS so I have to do a lot of
deprogramming of dangerous habits, and required that he explain,
demonstrate and recover from approach and departure stalls, full, at
5000 ft, and then hold a falling-leaf stall until he could keep the
ball centered. The concept of stalls and stall recovery terrified him
on hsi first and second flights. It took him a couple of times, but,
he NAILED it.

On his first turn to final, a Navion cut us off (towered airport)
reporting engine problems, so we had to go around, circle right and
reenter in a right traffic pattern, with birds and student helicopters
in the vicinity. On final, a flock of Canadian geese flew in front of
us and the kid had to keep it together. When he touched down, he got
excited and stiffened his legs... big 6'1" teenager feet on the brake
pedals...

I too love flight simulators, but, sitting in the right seat of a
C-152 on short final with a teenage novice at the controls for the
first time... that'll put gray hairs on your head, but watching him
explaining stalls to his terrorized grandmother, and then seeing her
pride when I told her how well he'd done... That was cathartic. I get
the same feeling when I fly people around Mt. St. Helens, or fly a
brand new Cirrus with NWPilot (for those of you who remember him, he's
in Tarawa now, by the way, taking a new SR-20 from California to
Japan) or riding in a B-17.

-c
CFI/CP-ASEL-IA

Simulators Birdog Piloting 33 March 9th 09 10:46 PM
PC IFR simulators Nick Kliewer Instrument Flight Rules 20 November 2nd 06 08:16 AM
Simulators [email protected] Simulators 1 October 20th 04 09:12 PM
IFR simulators Tony Owning 8 October 27th 03 08:42 PM
IFR simulators Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 3 July 24th 03 03:53 AM