Low Level Slideshow - 1 attachment (01/66)

Old April 10th 09, 09:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RustY ©

Default Low Level Slideshow - 1 attachment (01/66)

"David" wrote in message

Please don't use that form any more. It's fine if you use MS products,
but I don't (and won't), and therefore am unable to run any .exe files.

This slideshow was assembled using a program called Proshow Gold. It is
primarily designed for commercial use and does not allow you to copy the
photos. To achieve this, and to work on any computer, it has to be an
executable program (exe). I understand the concern by Microsoft et al about
this type of file from an unknown source but I knew that many regulars here
would trust it.

You will need to speak to whoever manages your browser about how to download
it successfully.. Like OE it must have a way of allowing you to control
what you download. I can see the need to protect folks who download
anything and everything from themselves but there are times when you need to
take control away from your computer - it should be working for you!

But, if you are still unsure, then you should never download exe files from
usenet.

Old April 10th 09, 10:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
David[_7_]

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:38:36 +0100, RustY © wrote:

"David" wrote in message

[...]

I don't as they are proprietary file types of a style owned by Microsoft.
It is a pity that I can't view your photos any more, but if you insist on
using such file types I'll forego the pleasure. I think you have been
seduced to embrace a half-witted application to present your stunning
photographs, rather than relying upon an industry standard, non-
proprietary file type to share them with a group of aviation enthusiasts.
Well so be it.
To repeat, I don't use MS, and won't! Consider the rest of your fans.
Old April 10th 09, 06:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bernd Rosemeier

"RustY ©" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"David" wrote in message

Please don't use that form any more. It's fine if you use MS products,
but I don't (and won't), and therefore am unable to run any .exe files.

Hello

If Rusty allows it and users want it i can put this file into my ftp server.
With an UL of 5 Mb/s its no problem for me.

And its really worth seeing...

Bernd

Old April 10th 09, 06:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Herman

"David" schreef in bericht

"David" wrote in message

[...]

I think you're over(re)acting. I don't like Gates et al either but sometimes
for the greater good one has to set aside aversion.
Eventually I managed to download the file and it works beautifully. Other
browsers should be able to combine multi-part files too I would think.
If you remain stubborn, that's up to you.

To Rusty: may you snap away for a long time to come.

Regards,

Herman

Old April 10th 09, 09:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
David[_7_]

"David" schreef in bericht

"David" wrote in message

[...]

It's not a question of browswer at all. I can't read .exe files on my
Linux machine. I downloaded the file quite satisfactorily, but I just
have no way of reading it. What's wrong with jpeg (.jpg) files?
Old April 10th 09, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Oviedo

You could try Tools/Options/Security and untick the box that says 'Do not
allow attachments to be saved....etc'

As you have found OE is suspicious of exe files.

That 'fixed' my problem. Thanks Rusty!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome photos.

Old April 10th 09, 09:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Derek Shaw

Oviedo wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
bel.net...
If you're using Outlook Express:
- Select all 66 mails (left-click on "01/66 , press "shift" together with
a left-click on 66/66)
- Right-click on these selected mails
- Choose "Combine and decode" in the menu (probably a different name if
you're using the German version of Outlook express)
- Click on "OK"

OE will combine all attachments to 1 big file called "Friday Eagles.exe",
which you can run or can save to run at a later moment.

Enjoy, it's really worth the trouble.

My version of OE combined the files but won't let me access the exe.

I have the following message on the combined file: OE removed access to the
following unsafe attachments in your maik: Friday Eagles.exe"

Anyone know how I get around this?

Thanks

I have had no trouble opening with XNews (free program). Highlight all the files, and go to Article/decode. This will decode to an .exe file which can be checked for virus before opening. Works well for me with minimum brain power used. Derek Shaw

Old April 10th 09, 10:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
David[_7_]

"David" wrote in message

[...]

I can quite happily (if that is a word you would use in the same phrase
as M$) download .exe files using my mail reader, but I can not run
(execute) .exe files because my OS is not of the M$ variety (I use a
Linux variant called Kubuntu). It is nothing to do with the abilities of
my browser. I take issue with your "and to work on any computer, it has
to be an executable program (exe)". That is just not so.
Old April 10th 09, 10:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RustY ©

"David" wrote in message

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:38:36 +0100, RustY © wrote:

This slideshow was assembled using a program called Proshow Gold. It is
primarily designed for commercial use and does not allow you to copy the
photos. To achieve this, and to work on any computer, it has to be an
executable program (exe).

I can quite happily (if that is a word you would use in the same phrase
as M$) download .exe files using my mail reader, but I can not run
(execute) .exe files because my OS is not of the M$ variety (I use a
Linux variant called Kubuntu). It is nothing to do with the abilities of
my browser. I take issue with your "and to work on any computer, it has
to be an executable program (exe)". That is just not so.

Sorry David, you are of course correct. When talking of 'computers' I was
thinking only of pc compatibles. I do realise that you can not run an exe
file on your linux OS. Apples are the same but often come with pc emulators
to overcome this problem - could you not download one from somewhere? In
any event you have not missed anything as all of these picture [without the
soundtrack] were posted here on 23/2/09 as 'Friday Eagles' and are still
available on my newsserver.

Old April 11th 09, 12:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Herman

"David" schreef in bericht

"David" wrote in message

[...]

Nothing wrong at all. Rusty just made a presentation which he thought would
be liked by the visitors of this NG. Apparently he did not know that Linux
machines could not handle this. I think you could have made your point a
little bit more politely, for instance by mentioning a few posts earlier
that you are operating Linux, in stead of just saying that you refuse to use
MS. Would have cleared things up.

Maybe he could have made a PowerPoint presentation, but I don't know if
Linux machines can do this. Anybody's guess (or yours).

Regards,

Herman

ID please - 1 attachment Klem Aviation Photos 3 November 8th 08 03:26 AM
Fosset wreckage recovery slideshow Frank[_1_] Soaring 1 October 10th 08 04:22 AM
US - V-22 One - Evansville, IN 06-30-08 - 1 attachment (1/2) Harry[_3_] Aviation Photos 0 July 2nd 08 08:43 PM
Link to a slideshow AJ Piloting 3 November 18th 06 08:21 AM
Deicing slideshow ellx_lux General Aviation 0 February 21st 06 08:16 PM