How old is too old to fly?

Old March 8th 04, 11:19 PM
Paul Sengupta

BFR! B*gg*r!

We have to have those in the UK now (damn JARs!) and
mine's due this month IIRC. Bah. Glad you reminded me,
thanks.

Paul

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
That's why they have BFRs.

Old March 9th 04, 02:51 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"R. Hubbell" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:05:53 -0700 "Tom Sixkiller" wrote:

R. Hubbell wrote in

With the recent talk about diving and flying and personal limitations
I wonder how older pilots feel about their own abilities to keep fresh
and when do you hang up the wings? Or do you just limit your flying
and take it easier as long as the medical is good?

I'm sure there's a point when passengers start saying "well
yeah I'd love to go flying but I have to water the lawn".

I'll be happy to be old and flying solo as long as a I can
do it safely. Just not sure if I'll be the best judge of
my safe flying when I'm on the tail end of my years.

Remember the 80 year-old Citation pilot who ditched his plane in the lake

in
Washington last year? Man...80 years old and doing SP in a Citation and
performing a ditching that would do someone half his age proud.

|No don't recall.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...24X01192&key=1

I started thinking about this while driving with an old friend.
He didn't notice that he was lane-wandering, while other drivers
did notice.

Those who noticed were the ones whose lane he intruded into.

|Wasn't that obvious?

Not necessarily.

|In his defense the lanes were narrow and it was a two-lane road
|with 8-9 ft. wide lanes. No shoulder (a curb, and parkway with trees)

That pretty much a standard lane width.

Otherwise he is a safe driver, just not as precise
I suppose.

I'd say if he can't keep it in his own lane, he's NOT a safe driver.

|He still has his license and he's essentially a safe driver.

That's two points that DO NOT support your conclusion.

First; not having one's license revoked by DMV is not much of a factor. A
few years ago there was a 70's something woman in Florida that had killed
something like four people in three separate accidents before th state
finally pulled her license. Elderly people are coddled when it come to
drivers licenses.

| The DMV and the insurance company haven't refuted that. He drives
| slower (not less than speed limit) and takes it easier.

That helps but he's still a major hazard.

Old March 9th 04, 06:14 PM
JerryK

Danm. I am still too young to fly!!!

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Roger Tracy" wrote in message
I think once they get over 50 or so .. they shouldn't be flying.

I don't think you have the maturity to start flying until you are 50 or
so... :-)