Sims

Old December 14th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Sims

"nobody" wrote in news:GBy8j.3$1X.0@trndny07:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

news.verizon.net writes:

No your basis for judgment is not as valid as anyone else's. You
have no direct knowledge of one of the points of comparison, there
for your judgment is without basis.

As I've said, learning that all opinions are equal takes time.

Wow, this has to be the stupidst thing anyone has ever said ever.

I'm genuinely impressed.

Stupider than "Flying has nothing to do with being in the air" ?

Oh I missed that..

OK, this is the second stupidest thing anyone has ever written.

Bertie
Old December 14th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Dec 13, 5:17 pm, "LWG" wrote:
Lots of posters here have fun bashing MX, but I have to say that one of the
more enjoyable experiences I've had lately was sitting in the family room,
in front of the PC. I am working on my instrument ticket. Ove the years I
have collected the CH yoke and footpedals. I have downloaded a flight model
and graphics for my Sundowner. I was looking out the window at the snow
falling, and I set the sim to real world weather. Damn if the screen didn't
look exactly like the weather outside, and I was once again looking at my
panel. The ATC simulation wasn't bad either, and off I went down the
"runway." I got vectored around pretty much the same as when I fly under
the hood. I thought that was absolutely fantastic, and all for about a
nickel's worth of electricity. No instructor or safety pilot needed.

About the only thing that I have used MSFS for is to make knife-edge
passes over the control tower, doing low level aerobatics, and
attempting to land on a postage stamp strip in an Archer. After a
bit, I got bored and started looking for the gun trigger and rocket
launcher so I could shoot down the bad guys...

It doesn't hold my attention like flying a real airplane.
Old December 14th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

wrote in
:

On Dec 13, 5:17 pm, "LWG" wrote:
[...]

Which would suggest a bobbin and a bit of string could keep anthony going
for a week.

Bertie
Old December 14th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nobody[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Which would suggest a bobbin and a bit of string could keep anthony going
for a week.

He doesn't need the bobbin until next week.

Old December 14th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig601XLBuilder writes:

No, your basis for a judgment is not. It would be like you saying which
tastes better Pepsi or Coke when you have never tried Coke.

What others are saying about piloting is like saying Coke tastes best without
having tasted anything else at all. There are many aspects to aviation, just
as there are many aspects to food and drink.

I've never said that simulation is superior to flying a real airplane in a
general sense, although I've indicated that I find it preferable in certain
respects. There isn't any way to prove or disprove that it is generally
superior or inferior, because that determination is purely a matter of
personal taste.
Old December 14th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Only if you haven't done it.

Even if you've done it.

For example, ask someone with a fear of flying which is more enjoyable: a sim
flight or a real flight. You'll probably find that the sim flight wins. Is
this wrong or right? Well, it's neither. It's just one person's opinion.

And I have flown in airplanes, only not as a pilot (and not in the small
aircraft that most pilots here seem to prefer). I know myself well, and I
seriously doubt that flying a real Cessna or riding in the cockpit of a real
747 would result in any epiphany for me. Would they be fun? Maybe. Would I
yearn to abandon simming and struggle to obtain a pilot's license no matter
what were required to do so? I seriously doubt it. If I were that vulnerable
to the lure of the sky, it would have hit me long ago. I like aviation in
flying, but in ways that wouldn't necessarily be satisfied by lurching around
in a Cessna. Why is this so difficult to understand? Why do people have so
much difficulty accepting viewpoints other than their own?

I love simming as much as anyone here (with the possible exception of
you), and have taken it to great lengths with our full-sized Kiwi
Flight Simulator. See it he http://www.alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm

So I've seen. An impressive set-up. And I think it's good that you expose
real pilots to the potential of simulation. Even pilots who love to fly for
real cannot necessarily do so as often as they might like, and simulation is a
way to help hold off symptoms of withdrawal.

That said, there is simply no comparison between the two experiences.
Flying the Kiwi is like watching a video of the sun rising -- pretty,
but nothing like being in the moment.

Hmm ... the sun rising in real life looks a lot like a video to me. But, as
I've said, it's all a matter of opinions.

Which isn't to say that flying the sim isn't a valid, fun, educational
experience. With a rig like our Kiwi, it's possible to entertain
pilots (or oneself) for hours on end. I mean, where else can you
rocket through the Alps at Mach 1.4 for a nickel's worth of
electricity?

Yes. And without a license, and under conditions you specify.
Old December 14th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Gig601XLBuilder writes:

No, your basis for a judgment is not. It would be like you saying
which tastes better Pepsi or Coke when you have never tried Coke.

What others are saying about piloting is like saying Coke tastes best
without having tasted anything else at all.

No, that is what you';re doing.

Bertie
Old December 14th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

What about when he asked about the location of the ejection seat
activator on the Beech Baron?

Missed that as well. Obviously his lexicon of idiocy is as vast as the
universe itself.

Bertie
Old December 14th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jay Honeck writes:

Only if you haven't done it.

Even if you've done it.

For example, ask someone with a fear of flying which is more
enjoyable: a sim flight or a real flight. You'll probably find that
the sim flight wins. Is this wrong or right? Well, it's neither.
It's just one person's opinion.

And I have flown in airplanes, only not as a pilot (and not in the
small aircraft that most pilots here seem to prefer). I know myself
well, and I seriously doubt that flying a real Cessna or riding in the
cockpit of a real 747 would result in any epiphany for me.

I doubt it as well. You're well beyond salvation of any sort.

Hmm ... the sun rising in real life looks a lot like a video to me.

I'm sure it does.

Bertie
Old December 14th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

If you think simulation is superior to real life, you should post on
the sim NG's. But wait, they all think you're an idiot as well.

It must give you a warm and fuzzy knowing that everyone you interact
with even over the internet thinks you're a blithering idiot.

I know it does that to me, anyway.

Bertie