Plane down on Vail Pass

Old August 20th 05, 12:51 AM
Newps

Seth Masia wrote:
Okay, but look at the Picture 6 in the sequence at
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...57/detail.html

Look carefully at the prop blades, then tell me whether this engine was
making power at touchdown.

I have no idea. What I do know is you can't look at a prop that hit the
ground, see the blades are bent back and conclude it wasn't making
power. I have proof to the contrary. Quite a conversation piece.

Also, no fire. Fuel status? Selector closed?

Mine didn't burn either, but then I didn't rip a wing off.
Old August 20th 05, 04:07 AM
Ron Lee

Plane reportedly from Green River WY area.

Ron Lee
Old August 20th 05, 05:12 AM
Blanche

Interview with the passenger on the local TV stations (pilot still
in serious condition at the Vail hospital). They were flying
from WY to Leadville, plans were to fly over Copper Mtn (about
20-30 miles east of Vail) to check out a motorcycle rally. Pax
said that they realized they were too low and the valley too
narrow to get out. Aircraft landed in a clearing on the
side of the hills (not a flat area, but less steep than most
of the stuff other than the golf course and the road).

I return to my original comment -- why over the mountains
in a single engine aircraft with no easy out?

Old August 20th 05, 12:16 PM
Denny

The vast majority of back country airplanes are single engine...
From my seat in the cockpit I say he did good in a tough situation...

I'll fly with him any day...

denny

Old August 20th 05, 01:41 PM
Ron Lee

I return to my original comment -- why over the mountains
in a single engine aircraft with no easy out?

I do it with no problem but I have taken the mountain flying course
and I usually have beaucoup distance between me and terra firma.

Unless some mechanical problem caused this incident odds are it was
pilot error.

Ron Lee
Old August 20th 05, 03:43 PM
Blanche

Denny wrote:
The vast majority of back country airplanes are single engine...
From my seat in the cockpit I say he did good in a tough situation...

I'll fly with him any day...

I'm not denying the pilot did an incredible job landing the plane
in light of the geography in the area.

However....

ceiling on a non-turbo PA32 is 14-16K. At the time of the accident,
the ground temps at Vail put the density altitude at 13-15K on the
ground. I still don't know if the aircraft was turbo or not. If
turbo, ceiling goes up to 20K.

So, assuming flying at 1-2K AGL (and ground is 10-11K) then the
aircraft was at the published ceiling. Not surprised they couldn't
get out of the valley.

Old August 20th 05, 03:52 PM
Blanche

Ron Lee wrote:
I return to my original comment -- why over the mountains
in a single engine aircraft with no easy out?

I do it with no problem but I have taken the mountain flying course
and I usually have beaucoup distance between me and terra firma.

Unless some mechanical problem caused this incident odds are it was
pilot error.

Ron -- we agree that yes, it can be done. And I've taken the
mountain flying course (more than once - never hurts) but as you
pointed out, big air between you and ground. Based on the density
altitude, doesn't seem that there was that much space between
the aircraft and the ground.

Fortunately, no fatalities, the pax is in very good humor (according
to the interviews yesterday) and the pilot is improving.

Old August 20th 05, 03:53 PM
Newps

Ron Lee wrote:

and I usually have beaucoup distance between me and terra firma.

Then you're not mountain flying.

Old August 20th 05, 06:22 PM
SeeAndAvoid

It appears to be a 1969 PA32-300 with a TIO-540.
RisingUp.com says its ceiling would be 16,250'.
Pretty large half page color picture of it in todays
local paper.
Chris

Old August 20th 05, 11:36 PM
Ron Lee

Newps wrote:

Ron Lee wrote:

and I usually have beaucoup distance between me and terra firma.

Then you're not mountain flying.

OK, you fly over the mountains your way....I will fly mine

Why fly through passes when you can fly several thousand feet over
them?

Ron Lee