Flying with Parachutes

Old November 5th 18, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Monday, 5 November 2018 04:51:41 UTC, John Huthmaker wrote:
Figured I'd update everyone on this. I took the plunge maybe 2 months ago and purchased a used parachute. Its a Softie Mini. The gentleman saw this post and reached out to me directly. By pure coincidence he is a former member of the flying club I am flying with.

The day that it arrived (back home), I was over in the UK for work. I found a very cool glider club not too far from where I was staying. They let me join the club for the day (well month technically) and I got to do two winch launches. It was really good fun. But they all flew with parachutes, and let me use one they had at the club. They mentioned the lighting strike incident being the primary reason everyone in the UK uses them. Honestly I dont really get why you wouldnt. They're not really uncomfortable.

When I got the parachute the log showed it had only been repacked twice. The first at the factory and then one other time. Its about 16 years old or so, and hadnt had a repack in over a decade. But it looked/looks basically brand new. I flew with it the first chance I could figuring it was better as is than none at all. But at the end of that day I took it for its 3rd ever repack. I just picked it up today and went out with it again.

I'm very happy I made the purchase. In fact I plan to go back in to flying power planes, and eventually build myself an RV7. If/when that happens, I'll get an extra one for a passenger to use.

Most people in the UK were using parachutes long before the Dunstable incident. Without a parachute a great many people don't fit well into many gliders as the seat pans take wearing a parachute into account. This isn't the case with many older wood designs.
Old November 6th 18, 08:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Monday, 5 November 2018 06:51:41 UTC+2, John Huthmaker wrote:
[...]

My parachute's repacking interval is 8 months, some have only 6 months. You got to do it more often, canopy fabric needs to dry out completely annually, rubber bands holding the lines become fragile etc.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Looking for parachutes. Bruce Soaring 0 September 4th 08 10:08 PM
Why I have parachutes Joaquin Home Built 1 September 3rd 06 03:31 AM
Parachutes again [email protected] Soaring 31 February 26th 05 10:53 PM
Parachutes Rodney & Becky Home Built 3 October 9th 03 12:33 AM
Parachutes Rodney & Becky Aviation Marketplace 0 October 8th 03 04:20 AM