Australian Formula 1.0 Grand Prix Contest

Old December 28th 18, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Australian Formula 1.0 Grand Prix Contest

US Pilots: Tony Condon is down in Australia flying in the Formula 1.0 Grand Prix. Nice online tracking...

https://www.f1gp.com.au
https://tracking.f1gp.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/formula1point0

Old December 28th 18, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 9:08:41 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
US Pilots: Tony Condon is down in Australia flying in the Formula 1.0 Grand Prix. Nice online tracking...

https://www.f1gp.com.au
https://tracking.f1gp.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/formula1point0

Tony was reporting 13 knot thermals. He must have meant 6.7 m/s in sensible units :-)
Old December 28th 18, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Today I left a 9 knot climb to join a libelle in a 13 knot climb. Amazing soaring in SE Australia the last few days. Have fun following along!
Old January 1st 19, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

As of now (12/31/18; 11pm est) the first two of three groups is on task. Tony is in second place, but just a few hundred feet behind the leader. Overall, Tony is tied for 2nd place in points for his group. Live tracking on Darryl's link.
Old January 1st 19, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 11:14:44 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
As of now (12/31/18; 11pm est) the first two of three groups is on task. Tony is in second place, but just a few hundred feet behind the leader. Overall, Tony is tied for 2nd place in points for his group. Live tracking on Darryl's link.

I have been watching. Amazing. I had a Libelle 201B. Flew it 250 hours the first year I had it. It's a homesick angel. I have an ASW27b and still would love to get another Libelle.

How are we seeing this? What technology are they using?

And, I can't figure out what the timer is above the screen?

Gary
Old January 1st 19, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 12:54:03 AM UTC-5, Duster wrote:

And, I can't figure out what the timer is above the screen?

Gary

It's a clock in viewer's zone, not a timer. Click on the "graph" button in the lower left corner to view the race in vertical dimension...nice feature.

Holy Mackanolie! I just hit the graph button! Wow! They need to put this somewhere that can be seen easier!

Also, how are they tracking this? What technology is this?

Thanks,

Gary
ASW27b
"SQ"
Old January 1st 19, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

The trackers are custom built for the contest. They seem to me to be very similar to the cell phone trackers using igc Droid or similar, but they are stand alone devices which read out GPS altitude and groundspeed. We are using the GPS altitude for height control on the start. The scores are calculated as soon as you land using the tracker trace. No uploading. No waiting.
Old January 1st 19, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 2:18:20 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
The trackers are custom built for the contest. They seem to me to be very similar to the cell phone trackers using igc Droid or similar, but they are stand alone devices which read out GPS altitude and groundspeed. We are using the GPS altitude for height control on the start. The scores are calculated as soon as you land using the tracker trace. No uploading. No waiting..

Thanks, Tony for the info. Very impressive. I'm sitting here in Florida watching the gliders in Australia. Nice! I would assume they are on their Cell phones since one day I could see some pilots at home or in town. I would assume the tracker was in the car and not mounted in the plane permanently.

Gary
Old January 1st 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It's a custom hardware 4G tracker and custom website both made by Sanderbuilt (pilot of competing glider AU, https://www.sanderbuilt.com)
I expect he'd sell the SSA a set.
Old January 1st 19, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 12:58:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
It's a custom hardware 4G tracker and custom website both made by Sanderbuilt (pilot of competing glider AU, https://www.sanderbuilt.com)
I expect he'd sell the SSA a set.

I went to his site! Nice! And, the first thing I see is a sand rail! I'm working on my Myers Max Dune buggy right now. Just built a 2110 CC VW engine... That is some impressive CAM designs.

I don't know what the SSA has, or anybody else here in the USA. Somebody chime in if we are doing this in the States...

Gary