How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

Old January 10th 19, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

You could be correct about the humidity changing the diameter of the dowel. However, a well seasoned and well sealed ash dowel may well not have that problem. Time till tell.

Again, this is a poor man's version of this tool. Easily finding the correct diameter metal or plastic/nylon rod, without machining capability, may be rather difficult.

Maybe I should have called this the "poor CHEAP and EASY man's spar alignment tool"!

My $0.02 (or ZWD 10,000,000,000).

- John OHM Ω
Old January 10th 19, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Nice DIY sheet.
Old January 10th 19, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 5:21:20 PM UTC-6, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
You could be correct about the humidity changing the diameter of the dowel. However, a well seasoned and well sealed ash dowel may well not have that problem. Time till tell.

Again, this is a poor man's version of this tool. Easily finding the correct diameter metal or plastic/nylon rod, without machining capability, may be rather difficult.

Maybe I should have called this the "poor CHEAP and EASY man's spar alignment tool"!

My $0.02 (or ZWD 10,000,000,000).

- John OHM Ω

My contrarian view again (sorry John): All Schleicher gliders I have owned and operated assemble extremely well without this "aid". If you have trouble with your glider, it's more likely the mistake is with you rather than the glider. Have someone help you who knows what they are doing. Also, go put the glider together more often, get practice. Watch the Ridge Boys Striedieck, Seymour, Good et. al. assemble their gliders in their grid position at contests every morning in no time at all to understand what I'm saying.
Herb, J7
Old January 10th 19, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 2:35:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I'm one of the Schleicher boys that have found that an alignment pint is very helpful on 27's, 28's and 29's and any that have the short rounded nose. Mine is aluminum and about .010 under diameter with a taper about 1-1/4 long and small diameter at end about .200 smaller than the spar hole. I makes small alignment errors a not issue.
UH
Old January 10th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gotta agree with UH. I've owned my ASW 24 for 27 years and probably assembled it 800 or more times. I have a plastic rod (HDPE?) a little smaller diameter than the main pins (how's that for detailed specs?). About a foot long.. Not tapered, although it should be (add to my "to do" list for 2019, page 3).

Very useful to lever the wings together the last few mm (i.e., not the eccentric, "rotate to align the bores" type of tool). As an ex-Libelle 201 driver, I was predisposed towards the "over center" wrench approach anyway. And if I recall, the pins on my LS-3 had a longer taper, which helped do the same thing. Schleicher seems to take the attitude that "if you want to fly our gliders, you'll care enough to align everything perfectly." Doesn't always work for us Americans originally trained on Schweizer 1-26s with a toolbox full of drift pins and hammers.

True, all but a few percent of my rig/derig operations are solo. I probably wouldn't find the tool quite as useful if I used a helper. But it lives in the Schleicher main pin pouch so it's always available and frequently used..

Chip Bearden
Old January 11th 19, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Herb, I know you, FWIW......

I have assembled many gliders over the decades......
At least once a season, clean fuselage pins and lube....same for spar pins and bushings.......
A "slightly smaller" alignment pin (usually concentric, no real need in 99.9% of times for cam type), helps for first main pin alignment.
Clean pins and sorta decent lube is about all that is needed.......
Old January 11th 19, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I'm with Herb (I know, alert the media) but I assembled my gliders for
over 30 years without the aid of a tool, except for the Mosquito which
came with a factory supplied tool.Â* What was I doing wrong?

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 11th 19, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 1/10/2019 12:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

The difference is that the Schleicher gliders in this group have no taper on the end of the main pins, only about a 3 mm radius. This is due to the fact that they have no extra length to allow for a taper. If the alignment on assembly is not almost perfect, the first pin will not go in. The alignment tool helps with this. It is obviously possible to assemble without it but it is much easier with it, especially on a new tight glider.
UH