A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flying with Parachutes

Old August 12th 18, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 9:28:48 AM UTC-7, John Huthmaker wrote:
Well its pretty obvious that the responses here can be a bit of a mixed bag. Some have very coherent well thought through responses that support their position. Others seem much less so.

I appreciate everyone chiming in here. For those who choose not to fly with one, I fully respect your decision. I get that they may be uncomfortable. But I've made up my mind that I do personally want to start using one. I have to imagine that I start using one right from the beginning, it'll feel weird without one.

I spoke to my instructor yesterday, and he uses one. My soaring club shares an airport with a skydiving company. So he introduced me to a rigger, and even recommended jumping with one. I tend to think he likes using one, but has had few students who had the desire.

I have a beautiful wife at home, and allot of good years left on this earth. I'd never let a little danger take me away from an exciting sport. But if there is a way to make something safer, I'm all for it.

Well John, in twenty years you have the opportunity to re-access your wife and your life to decide if you want purchase another chute when the useful life of this chute has expired. We had this debate a few months ago. I was surprised at the number of pilots that took a look around at the state of affairs in their lives and decided to stay with the chute that has been sweated on for 20 years and deemed expired by the manufacturer and Parachute Riggers Association.
Glad you know the value of your life.
Old August 12th 18, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Robertson
external usenet poster

At 16:28 12 August 2018, John Huthmaker wrote:
Well its pretty obvious that the responses here can be a bit of a mixed
bag=
.. Some have very coherent well thought through responses that support
thei=
r position. Others seem much less so.

I appreciate everyone chiming in here. For those who choose not to fly
wit=
h one, I fully respect your decision. I get that they may be
uncomfortable=
.. But I've made up my mind that I do personally want to start using one.

=
I have to imagine that I start using one right from the beginning, it'll
fe=
el weird without one.

I spoke to my instructor yesterday, and he uses one. My soaring club
share=
s an airport with a skydiving company. So he introduced me to a rigger,
an=
d even recommended jumping with one. I tend to think he likes using one,
b=
ut has had few students who had the desire.

I have a beautiful wife at home, and allot of good years left on this
earth=
.. I'd never let a little danger take me away from an exciting sport.

But
=
if there is a way to make something safer, I'm all for it.

Old August 13th 18, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]
external usenet poster

Similar to riding a motorcycle with or without a helmet.

Old August 13th 18, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

This is a fun discussion.
I promised my wife many decades ago that I would always wear a parachute when flying.
I had an biannual to fly in my aeroclub. The plane was a 182. The instructor gave me a big stare when I met him at the plane wearing a chute. He asked me what he is going to do if I decide to bail. I responded, "you should think about that." He declined to go forward with the flight.
Old August 13th 18, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 11:32:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
This is a fun discussion.
I promised my wife many decades ago that I would always wear a parachute when flying.
I had an biannual to fly in my aeroclub. The plane was a 182. The instructor gave me a big stare when I met him at the plane wearing a chute. He asked me what he is going to do if I decide to bail. I responded, "you should think about that." He declined to go forward with the flight.

LOL

My reply would have been "hang on to me and don't let go"
Old August 13th 18, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 1:06:07 PM UTC-5, Retting wrote:
Do not buy a parachute. Do you wear one flying around in your Cessna?
Plus, we do not wear a chute because we fly cross country, we wear a chute to reduce the risk due to gaggle flying.
It is required use by competition rules. The chute then becomes an expensive convenient vetted cushion. Which is why glass pilots are always putting on their chute, even when the sky is filled with chuteless trainers and they are the only chuted one airborne.
You will know, later, when you need a chute.
Risk.....you have a much greater chance of dying driving using your phone.. Driving fast. Eating while driving. Lightning. Gunshot, Crime.
The list goes on.
Yes, I know...Arcus, rudder, bailout....whatever.....he needs to strap on a 1-26 with a sports canopy first.
R

This is either a poor attempt at sarcasm, or just plain trolling, regardless, it is incorrect on so many levels it's just plain pathetic.

R, is you are capable of doing any basic research, you may be surprised to find that gliding is actually MORE dangerous than all the activities you mentioned. It's more dangerous than flying fighters in combat.

As others have said, we in the US are saddled with a history of training in gliders that pretty much do not permit wearing chutes (2-33s) and as a result have become desensitized to the risk. Just about every other gliding country either mandates or strongly encourages the wear of chutes.

As we move to using more modern trainers, that are designed to be comfortable wearing a chute, it should be a no-brainer; but this being 'Murica I'm not holding my breath - old habits are hard to break.

Kirk
Old August 13th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I feel a little exposed when I take a flight review in a 2-33 kwithout a chute. I've been wearing one to fly my single-seat gliders for 50+ years. Does that unease make logical sense? Probably not; I've never needed my chute for anything except a cushion. Normally I'd not fly without it.

But...I've had to work really hard to find a couple that allow me to get into certain cockpits. I'm 6'3". I tried just about every commercial option there was in the U.S. years ago and they vary significantly. Some are the same thickness throughout the pack while others are thin behind the shoulders (which is what I need). Some wrap under the thighs. Some are stiff while others are more flexible and can be shaped around a bulge in the seat back, etc. So if you're on the tall side, I'd hold off until I settled on a specific glider before buying a chute.

We've thrashed the 20-year-life issue endlessly so I won't repeat the arguments for/against here.

Chip Bearden
Old August 14th 18, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 11:22:47 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 9:09:25 PM UTC-7, WB wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 10:29:47 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
Unless you have an emergency door ejection on your Cessna (I have never seen one with this), you won't be able to get out to use your parachute.

Tom

Why not? I have never had a problem opening a door on a Cessna in flight. In fact, on most old Cessnas, the doors pop open every time they are bumped by a shoulder.

Does anyone remember the Cirrus SR-22 accident of a few years ago where the Cirrus was in a mid-air? The airframe parachute was deployed but the plane was on fire. The two occupants ended up jumping (without chutes, unfortunately) to avoid burning. I'll wear my chute, thank you.

Partially opening a door is one thing, opening so you can exit out of it going well in excess of Vne is another. If you want to be SURE you can get out, it must be jettisoned.

Tom

Well, even if you could jettison the door, it might still be impossible to get out. Not even the most sophisticated ejections seats on 100 million dollar fighters save every pilot that uses them. So if we can't be absolutely 100% percent sure of getting out, then why try at all? Should we just resign ourselves to dying bravely?

There will always be situations where a chute won't help. However, If a wing or tail is off or mangled from a midair, it's unlikely the aircraft is going nose down VNE. If it's on fire, then I'm going to trim to slow and jump.. Lots of situations can be conjectures where a chute would be useful. I can think of no situations where having a chute would be worse than not having one. To each his own.

Old August 14th 18, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Having a chute needing one not having one

Do the math.

Any questions?

Send them to someone who can explain simple concepts. Like your kindergartner teacher.
Old August 14th 18, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Having a chute needing one not having one

Yeah, yeah. I know. I screwed that one up. Sorry.

Better to have a chute and not need it than to need one and not have it.

I was always better at English than Math. Thank God for free apps.