Taildragger Technique for Gliders

Old December 28th 18, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Taildragger Technique for Gliders

Is anyone aware of a glider textbook or manual which teaches the details of taildragger takeoffs and landings in gliders? I have lots of examples that I've used personally with students based on my power training a Champ and dozens of available texts oriented at the power taildragger training.

Looking back through RAS, I found a couple of old threads but not what I was looking for. I just want to re-use someone else's diagrams and text. Failing that, I'll end up formally writing up my own notes along with those from a couple of other club CFIGs.

Not necessarily looking for a new thread on "why learning in Schweizers sucks" or "how come Americans don't know how to land." But it's Winter in the northern hemisphere, so I can probably predict where this will end up.

Erik Mann (P3)
Old December 28th 18, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 6:43:22 PM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:
Is anyone aware of a glider textbook or manual which teaches the details of taildragger takeoffs and landings in gliders? I have lots of examples that I've used personally with students based on my power training a Champ and dozens of available texts oriented at the power taildragger training.

Looking back through RAS, I found a couple of old threads but not what I was looking for. I just want to re-use someone else's diagrams and text. Failing that, I'll end up formally writing up my own notes along with those from a couple of other club CFIGs.

Not necessarily looking for a new thread on "why learning in Schweizers sucks" or "how come Americans don't know how to land." But it's Winter in the northern hemisphere, so I can probably predict where this will end up.

Erik Mann (P3)

Wolfgang Langewiesche had it all figured out in the late 30's of the last century. His book "Stick and Rudder" is unsurpassed in clarity and insights. All you ever wanted to how on how to control a glider or airplane.
Herb, J7
Old December 28th 18, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 4:43:22 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
Is anyone aware of a glider textbook or manual which teaches the details of taildragger takeoffs and landings in gliders? I have lots of examples that I've used personally with students based on my power training a Champ and dozens of available texts oriented at the power taildragger training.

Looking back through RAS, I found a couple of old threads but not what I was looking for. I just want to re-use someone else's diagrams and text. Failing that, I'll end up formally writing up my own notes along with those from a couple of other club CFIGs.

Not necessarily looking for a new thread on "why learning in Schweizers sucks" or "how come Americans don't know how to land." But it's Winter in the northern hemisphere, so I can probably predict where this will end up.

Erik Mann (P3)

Not much different than an airplane; two point touchdown in a glider as in a full stall landing in an airplane in calm conditions and medium to high energy mainwheel touchdown/approach in a glider as in a wheel landing in an airplane.
Old December 28th 18, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 5:48:53 PM UTC-8, 6PK wrote:
[...]

To correct,I should have;"and medium to high energy mainwheel touchdown/approach in a glider as in a wheel landing in an airplane"- in windy/gusty conditions.
Old December 28th 18, 11:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 8:53:56 PM UTC-5, 6PK wrote:
[...]

Oh boy...here comes all the arguments "for" and "against" the various techniques! I already have 4 disagreements with the last two posts! LOL...but not in the mood for arguing...so you guys have at it!

To Erik's point...lots of training stuff on the "net" for soaring...but nobody seems to go into the concept of taildragger gliders specifically, as they do in airplanes...hence the so many bad landings we seem to see.

Cookie

Old December 28th 18, 11:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 17:13:16 -0800, herbkilian wrote:

Wolfgang Langewiesche had it all figured out in the late 30's of the
last century. His book "Stick and Rudder" is unsurpassed in clarity and
insights. All you ever wanted to how on how to control a glider or
airplane.
Herb, J7

+1

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old December 28th 18, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

So, Cookie, please be so kind as to educate us on your taildragger techniques (in gliders, of course).

66
Old December 28th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Before Cookie starts, Ill add one, I thought, very insightful lesson I had from a instructor I had when learning tail wheel in a J3 cub. I already had 5k hours in sailplanes at this point and he said: "realize that you have to change from normal control to cross control once on the ground, just like you already do in your sailplane!" That was the ahaaa, moment for me. I had already been doing it in my Ventus now just make it happen in the cub, 140 and now the 170B hardest part is using a yoke instead of a stick Flame shields on!

CH
Old December 28th 18, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcg8w%[email protected]

Russell Holtz's "Flight Training Manual for Gliders" has a pretty good section on landing. It is lesson 6.1. Covers the technique for landings where the tail wheel and main wheel touch at the same time

AE

Old December 28th 18, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

I will be shocked if there is too much difference of opinion at least on this subject....