kit plane pricing confusing

Old September 12th 04, 04:15 AM
natureboy

Default kit plane pricing confusing

Ok, I am confused. Take Lancair website for example.Propjet kit, price
115k. Ok. Click on engines and props.Engine 120k, prop 18k. Ok.Parts
and Options.Huh? what parts do I need and which ones are options?I
would say that cabin heat at 20,000 ft is a necessity, not an
option.Somewhat confused.Next-- firewall forward items. Are these
parts or options?And what is a kit anyway, if one has to get all kinds
of additional stuff that is necessary, not just an upgrade? Maybe I
should buy their info package that may shed some light on the subject.
What do you folks think?
Old September 12th 04, 04:33 AM
Kyle Boatright

"natureboy" wrote in message
m...
Ok, I am confused. Take Lancair website for example.Propjet kit, price
115k. Ok. Click on engines and props.Engine 120k, prop 18k. Ok.Parts
and Options.Huh? what parts do I need and which ones are options?I
would say that cabin heat at 20,000 ft is a necessity, not an
option.Somewhat confused.Next-- firewall forward items. Are these
parts or options?And what is a kit anyway, if one has to get all kinds
of additional stuff that is necessary, not just an upgrade? Maybe I
should buy their info package that may shed some light on the subject.
What do you folks think?

For the most part, kit manufacturers sell airframe kits. You are free to
customize the kit and the systems on the kit to any degree you desire. There
are hundreds, maybe thousands, maybe tens of thousands of options the
builder gets choose to create the aircraft of his/her dreams.

In building my RV, I many hours evalutaing the options I had to build the
airplane I wanted. Lots of research went into making the right (or wrong)
decisions. It sounds like you need to "hit the books" and give yourself an
in-depth education on the aircraft you are looking at. Building an airplane
is a long term committment in time and money. You don't want to take the
plunge without a complete understanding of your mission and how to choose
the right aircraft and options to fulfil that mission.

I'd suggest that a good first step would be to define your mission - how
far, how fast, how many seats, etc. Next, look through the trade
publications and find a handfull of aircraft that seem to more or less fit
your mission. Get the info packs on those aircraft and then go looking for
the type-specific internet and e-mail resources that support the aircraft
you're looking at. Use those resources to decide which airplane to build,
if any. It ain't for the faint of heart.

KB

Old September 12th 04, 05:15 PM
natureboy

Thank you Kyle. You're right.
Old September 12th 04, 06:32 PM
UltraJohn

Kyle Boatright wrote:
I'd suggest that a good first step would be to define your mission - how
far, how fast, how many seats, etc. Next, look through the trade
publications and find a handfull of aircraft that seem to more or less fit
your mission. Get the info packs on those aircraft and then go looking
for the type-specific internet and e-mail resources that support the
aircraft
you're looking at. Use those resources to decide which airplane to build,
if any. It ain't for the faint of heart.

KB

And hope that you don't lose your medical before you finish because with a
propjet lancair your not going to be flying it "sportpilot"!
John

rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 July 1st 04 08:27 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 1st 04 08:27 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 April 1st 04 08:27 AM
A Good Story Badwater Bill Home Built 15 September 3rd 03 03:00 PM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 September 1st 03 07:27 AM