Towing with a TDI

Old February 14th 15, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Towing with a TDI

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:40:07 AM UTC+13, vontresc wrote:
Looking at getting a new vehicle this spring, and am currently looking into a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Any of you guys use one to tow your ship? Good or bad?

That's plenty of power. Stability is the only question -- and one that you can answer with a 15 minute test drive with your trailer behind (assuming you can find somewhere you can get to 60+ mph).

I tow the club's DG1000 behind my 165 HP Subaru Outback, including over mountains, and it's fine. Fuel economy gets knocked back from 32 mpg (uk) to about 25 or 26 i.e. fuel use increased from 8 l/100 km to 11 l/100km.
Old February 14th 15, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I tow a 18m motorglider in a Cobra fibreglass trailer with a VW Polo 1.9 TDI (100hp). Works perfect in all conditions, also over mountain passes and with gusty winds. Max trailer weight is 1200kg, the only limitation is the small max tow bar load of 50kg.
Old February 14th 15, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 3:40:07 PM UTC-5, vontresc wrote:
Looking at getting a new vehicle this spring, and am currently looking into a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Any of you guys use one to tow your ship? Good or bad?

Peter

If you look through R.A.S. archives (search on Sportwagen rather than Sportwagon) you'll see this vehicle has come up several times.

Bottom line: I've towed an LS8-18 in an Anschau Komet trailer and more recently my ASG-29 with 18M tips in a new Cobra trailer with the 2010 TDI Sportwagen. Works great. Three things I did:

- Make sure you have a tow bar that lifts the hitch to the proper height; you'll be looking at about a 4" or 5" rise.
- I run the rear tires pretty much at max allowable pressure when towing.
- I installed Firestone Coil-Rite inserts (airbags) in the rear springs. I've since decided these weren't absolutely necessary.

If I was going to be using the vehicle to tow all of the time, I might want something a little bigger. I also tow with the family Honda Odyssey, and it's a little more capable tow vehicle. But the Sportwagen is a fantastic compromise considering I use it to drive back and forth to work 98% of the time.

Erik Mann (P3)
2010 Sportwagen TDI
Old February 14th 15, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Anyone towing with a Touareg TDI? Thoughts?

Old February 14th 15, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 10:16:04 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Anyone towing with a Touareg TDI? Thoughts?

Pete,

Most of the time you will NOT be towing anything so you want a car that works well for your daily commute as well.
In my experience, the VW TDI engines do not like short drives at all. Anything less than 4 miles will leave you with gunk and carbon accumulating in all the wrong places. Even trying to burn that off on occasion will not always work. Have been driving VW Diesels since the 70's in Germany (50HP) and they are great at pedal-down on the Autobahn. However, don't get one for short-distance driving, especially in cold climates (Madison WI qualifies). Had a Jetta TDI for 5 years that was completely plugged up after some years of short commutes.

Herb (1986 Mercedes Diesel, in great shape)
Old February 14th 15, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Pete,

Most of the time you will NOT be towing anything so you want a car that works well for your daily commute as well.
In my experience, the VW TDI engines do not like short drives at all. Anything less than 4 miles will leave you with gunk and carbon accumulating in all the wrong places. Even trying to burn that off on occasion will not always work. Have been driving VW Diesels since the 70's in Germany (50HP) and they are great at pedal-down on the Autobahn. However, don't get one for short-distance driving, especially in cold climates (Madison WI qualifies). Had a Jetta TDI for 5 years that was completely plugged up after some years of short commutes.

Herb (1986 Mercedes Diesel, in great shape)

Agree that TDIs are best for longer commutes, and that all short trip driving can be a problem with diesels. Clogged intakes/etc are really a thing of the past since Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel was mandated in North America.. Towing the trailer really cleans things out, too! I am happier towing since I added an EGT gauge a year ago; in PA/NY hills, my EGT stays below 800F at Interstate speeds. I had worried it would be higher.

Old February 14th 15, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

wrote:
On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 10:16:04 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Anyone towing with a Touareg TDI? Thoughts?

Pete,

Most of the time you will NOT be towing anything so you want a car that
works well for your daily commute as well.
In my experience, the VW TDI engines do not like short drives at all.
Anything less than 4 miles will leave you with gunk and carbon
accumulating in all the wrong places. Even trying to burn that off on
occasion will not always work. Have been driving VW Diesels since the
70's in Germany (50HP) and they are great at pedal-down on the Autobahn.
However, don't get one for short-distance driving, especially in cold
climates (Madison WI qualifies). Had a Jetta TDI for 5 years that was
completely plugged up after some years of short commutes.

Herb (1986 Mercedes Diesel, in great shape)

I remember the old 1978 Mk1 Golf LD we had back in Germany. Hell we used to
tow a small trailer behind the thing to haul half a dozen sheep around. The
Autobahn was interesting in that beast though. About the only thing it
would be able to pass were the semi trucks ;-)

Pete
Old February 14th 15, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 8:16:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Anyone towing with a Touareg TDI? Thoughts?

I have the V6 gasoline Touareg (2010). Before that I had a 2004 version of the same vehicle. It is the best tow vehicle I have ever owned or driven. I tow a Cobra fiberglass top with an ASW-27B inside and usually plenty of ground gear. It has enough power to get over the Sierra Nevada Mountains and will take the trailer at any speed you have the nerve for given the speed ratings on the tires without a wobble in all kinds of crosswinds and on 2-lane roads with semis coming the other way.

Secrets to good handling - decent vehicle mass, large tire contact area, short distance from rear wheels to tow ball and a long wheelbase.

9B
Old February 14th 15, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have the V6 gasoline Touareg (2010).

9B

What kind of mileage do you get when towing vs not towing? Do find there is enough room inside for all your gear?
Old February 16th 15, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 12:40:07 PM UTC-8, vontresc wrote:
Looking at getting a new vehicle this spring, and am currently looking into a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Any of you guys use one to tow your ship? Good or bad?

Peter

I'm pretty sure the DSG transmission doesn't allow towing. I'm sure it WILL tow, but with a hitch on the back you may have warranty issues. If you're not under warranty, I wouldn't want to have to repair that transmission......I can't imagine how much that thing costs to repair.

I have a 2013 tdi wagon and love the car but have 5k left on the powertrain and it's making me nervous, and I don't tow.

Towing with a VW [email protected] Soaring 15 December 7th 07 08:20 AM
Air to ground towing 2 - after some R&R Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 3 June 10th 07 08:22 PM
Towing to the airport drano Home Built 3 August 25th 06 06:17 PM
Towing Roger Fowler Soaring 6 August 11th 05 04:25 AM
FAA says towing ULV's is OK? ken ward Soaring 4 September 30th 04 03:12 AM