Towing with a TDI

Old February 16th 15, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Towing with a TDI

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 9:23:20 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 12:40:07 PM UTC-8, vontresc wrote:
Looking at getting a new vehicle this spring, and am currently looking into a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Any of you guys use one to tow your ship? Good or bad?

Peter

I'm pretty sure the DSG transmission doesn't allow towing. I'm sure it WILL tow, but with a hitch on the back you may have warranty issues. If you're not under warranty, I wouldn't want to have to repair that transmission......I can't imagine how much that thing costs to repair.

I have a 2013 tdi wagon and love the car but have 5k left on the powertrain and it's making me nervous, and I don't tow.

When you say "new" do you mean new to you or brand new? If you're talking brand new, or relatively new, for that amount of money you can buy a much better used tow vehicle.
Old February 16th 15, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Peter got my attention right away. I'll look at the VW TDI AWD wagon if it's ever released.
Looking for one vehicle with great fuel economy, AWD, tow capable and International standard trailer lighting capable. Unfortunately Audi USA is very slow at getting the 2.0TDI engine into their Allroad, which has been very popular in Europe. Believe the 2.0TDI is only in FWD A3s. Incidentally the A3 will tow single seaters well.
The VW Tiguan TDI is unavailable in USA.
So is the Subaru Forrester TDI.
And of course Audi Allroad TDI.
All are available and used for towing gliders elsewhere.

Sorry about the hurried earlier post, my flight was about to leave: The fiberglass top Cobras have been discussed many times before regarding the aerodynamic qualities of the fin.
But it seems mostly C/G that will make a trailer difficult to tow.
Jim
Old February 16th 15, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 7:11:26 PM UTC+13, JS wrote:
Peter got my attention right away. I'll look at the VW TDI AWD wagon if it's ever released.
Looking for one vehicle with great fuel economy, AWD, tow capable and International standard trailer lighting capable. Unfortunately Audi USA is very slow at getting the 2.0TDI engine into their Allroad, which has been very popular in Europe. Believe the 2.0TDI is only in FWD A3s. Incidentally the A3 will tow single seaters well.
The VW Tiguan TDI is unavailable in USA.
So is the Subaru Forrester TDI.
And of course Audi Allroad TDI.
All are available and used for towing gliders elsewhere.

I know a few people here in NZ who have Korean SsangYong Rexton W SUVs with 137 kW (184 hp) Mercedes 2.7l turbo diesel engines and transmissions. I've driven one and ridden in a couple of others. They're no Audi, but they're roomy and comfortable, good power and acceleration, very good fuel economy, tow well (recommended maximum 7000 lb, 3200 kg). And cheap at NZ$48k (US$36k) with AWD
or NZ$40k (US$30k) with part time 4WD.
Old February 16th 15, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 12:44:29 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I have the V6 gasoline Touareg (2010).

9B

What kind of mileage do you get when towing vs not towing? Do find there is enough room inside for all your gear?

Good room for the gear. All glider stuff fits in the back. I also have a low-profile roof rack, though I don't need the space for glider gear. It just keeps my luggage out of the back seat.

I haven't measured the mileage towing. On flatland maybe a couple MPG less than driving with no trailer. Climbing mountains, maybe a bit worse. It's 15-18 MPG with no trailer, mixed highway and city driving.
Old February 16th 15, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've been towing my Ventus in a lift-top trailer with a 1.9 liter TTiD Saab and automatic transmission for the last couple of years, and extensively through the Alps. No problems with stability whatsoever, and the engine has lots of torque to accelerate beyond speed limits uphill towards a mountain pass. On the highway, I typically set the cruise control to 75-80 mph. 33 MPG.

Old February 16th 15, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

It's a shame that the auto makers have been slow to introduce turbo-diesel engines into the USA, although the reasons are pretty obvious. Gasoline is a lot cheaper than diesel (in my home town right now, gasoline is $2 per US gallon and diesel is around $2.60) and diesel engines are also more expensive.

IMHO, the power and especially torque curves of the typical turbo diesel are absolutely superb for towing. I am now towing with a camper van based on the Mercedes Sprinter and find its towing and hill-climbing abilities to be superb. Fuel consumption is also not far shy of 20 mpg (that's 24 mpg for the Brits!) My other tow vehicle (Lexus with 5 liter gasoline V-8) is also superb, but it's a lot bigger, heavier and thirstier than most would like to drive around, especially in Europe.

Mike
Old February 16th 15, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 07:57:21 -0800, Mike the Strike wrote:

IMHO, the power and especially torque curves of the typical turbo diesel
are absolutely superb for towing. I am now towing with a camper van
based on the Mercedes Sprinter and find its towing and hill-climbing
abilities to be superb. Fuel consumption is also not far shy of 20 mpg
(that's 24 mpg for the Brits!)

You're right: that sounds thirsty to me.

I use a 2002 Ford Focus 5-door estate with 4 speed automatic transmission
and a 2 litre petrol engine to tow my Libelle in a fairly old alloy-
skinned box trailer. Its stable up to 60mph though I won't tow faster
than 65. This gets around 28mpg on long runs, e.g. from Harlow in Essex
up to the Lake district or to Portmoak (20-30 miles north of Edinburgh,
so about 23 miles/USAian gallon. Its excellent on hills: I had no problem
towing that trailer up through Church Stretton and over the moors to The
Mynd or going down the same way.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 16th 15, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_3_]

=
[...]

I'm using a BMW e61 520d, and you can hardly tell that our Discus trailer
is on the back. I've also had 42 mpg (UK gallons) on runs up to Scotland,
again with the trailer.
Dave

Old February 16th 15, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

As stated in earlier threads, VW is quirky (to put it mildly) regarding towing specs for their cars in the US. The TDI powered Golf Estate (aka Jetta Sportwagen here) with the 2.0 Liter diesel and DSG 6 speed transmission in the UK is rated for towing 1600KG with a braked trailer. That indicates to me that any limitations here are not "technical".

While I don't know that I'd plan on using this vehicle to tow really long distances across the western US (e.g. from NJ to Hobbs), I've used it extensively through the Mid-Atlantic and New England including some pretty significant hill work. Have never even seen it labor even on long inclines.

That said, I wouldn't want to speculate on what would happen if there were to be a warranty claim. I'm already over 5 years and 60,000 miles, so I'm outside that window. Never had a single non-routine even thus far.

FWIW, my previous VW was the larger V6 Passat with 4 Motion (AWD). Thing was bullet proof up until about 120,000, then it started to blow up left and right. Bailed on it when the next repair bill was going to be over $1,000.

P3

Old February 16th 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 2:54:46 PM UTC-5, chipsoars wrote:
The VW TDI is not rated for towing in the US. You may get away with with it, but it will certainly void the warranty. Towing and warranty certainly seem different.

Perhaps true for new ones, but 2006 TDIs are rated for 2,000 lbs (unbraked) or 1,000 (braked) for the 5 speed.

Towing with a VW [email protected] Soaring 15 December 7th 07 08:20 AM
Air to ground towing 2 - after some R&R Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 3 June 10th 07 08:22 PM
Towing to the airport drano Home Built 3 August 25th 06 06:17 PM
Towing Roger Fowler Soaring 6 August 11th 05 04:25 AM
FAA says towing ULV's is OK? ken ward Soaring 4 September 30th 04 03:12 AM