First flight of Jet Arcus

Old September 29th 16, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default First flight of Jet Arcus

Bob Carlton (www.desertaerospace.com) made the first flight of the Jet powered Schempp-Hirth Arcus (N887DT) today from Moriarty Airport (0E0) in New Mexico. Launch conditions at 0938 MDT were 3-5 kt. N winds. Field elevation is 6,200 ft. MSL. Density Altitude was 7,800 ft. Bob flew solo, as per the Operating Limitations specified by the FAA for Phase 1 flight tests.

Initial climb was from Takeoff (6,200 ft. MSL) to 10,000 ft. MSL at an average speed of 95 kts. TAS. Time from liftoff to 10,000 ft. MSL was 6 minutes, 10 seconds, for an average climb rate of a bit over 6 kts.

Bob flew for just under an hour, shutting down the engine in flight, retracting it into the fuselage and then extending it again for restart. After some cruise performance checks at various speeds, he again shut the engine down and stowed it for landing as a conventional glider.

All initial flight parameters were met, so now it is on to the next four hours of Phase 1 flight to gather more performance data, explore the flight envelope (including maneuvers) and gain familiarity with the systems before turning it over to the customer.

(This glider was on display at the 2016 SSA Convention in Greenville, SC)
Old September 29th 16, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

=
[...]

Is this the PSR unit or a US development?

Old September 29th 16, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

One look at who is test flying it would be a dead giveaway!
http://www.desertaerospace.com/about-us
http://www.pbsvb.com/customer-indust...urbojet-engine
I looked at the PSR retrofit a couple of years ago and thought it of limited use in mountainous terrain. The Arcus will be operating in mountainous terrain.
Jim
Old September 29th 16, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 11:27:31 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
One look at who is test flying it would be a dead giveaway!
http://www.desertaerospace.com/about-us
http://www.pbsvb.com/customer-indust...urbojet-engine
I looked at the PSR retrofit a couple of years ago and thought it of limited use in mountainous terrain. The Arcus will be operating in mountainous terrain.
Jim

If I did the math right, roughly 5 gallons for a launch from 6k to 10k. Just need capacity for 10 gallons.. ideally optional up to 15 gallons and its a SLMG with good range for self retrieve.
Old September 30th 16, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Thursday, 29 September 2016 19:27:31 UTC+1, JS wrote:
One look at who is test flying it would be a dead giveaway!
http://www.desertaerospace.com/about-us
http://www.pbsvb.com/customer-indust...urbojet-engine
I looked at the PSR retrofit a couple of years ago and thought it of limited use in mountainous terrain. The Arcus will be operating in mountainous terrain.
Jim

Names not familiar to me. Is there any chance that this could ever be a certified aircraft in Europe?
Old September 30th 16, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 1:00:06 PM UTC-4, Jim White wrote:
Bob Carlton (www.desertaerospace.com) made the first flight of the Jet
powe=
red Schempp-Hirth Arcus (N887DT) today from Moriarty Airport (0E0) in New
M=
exico. Launch conditions at 0938 MDT were 3-5 kt. N winds. Field

elevation
=
is 6,200 ft. MSL. Density Altitude was 7,800 ft. Bob flew solo, as per

the
=
Operating Limitations specified by the FAA for Phase 1 flight tests.

YouTube with audio please. Will it fit DB?

Old September 30th 16, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry, but I deleted the original post. Apparently I jumped the gun on making this public. As soon as more data are collected and some permissions are granted, we will do a press release with videos, photos and actual analysis of climb and cruise performance, along with fuel consumption numbers.

Old September 30th 16, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 5:44:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Sorry, but I deleted the original post. Apparently I jumped the gun on making this public. As soon as more data are collected and some permissions are granted, we will do a press release with videos, photos and actual analysis of climb and cruise performance, along with fuel consumption numbers.

It's USENET, you can't delete anything... (Google Groups may give you the illusion you can, but you can't).