Towing with a VW

Old December 1st 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Towing with a VW

Hello,

What are peoples opinions regarding towing a Russia AC4C with an
aluminum skinned trailer with a VW diesel beetle? The diesel engine
has plenty of torque. I have have towed my boat which is 1200 lbs
with the trailer and I have not had any problems. I would be towing
quite far on the highways.

Thanks
Old December 2nd 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GK[_1_]

On Dec 1, 5:33 pm, wrote:
Hello,

What are peoples opinions regarding towing a Russia AC4C with an
aluminum skinned trailer with a VW diesel beetle? The diesel engine
has plenty of torque. I have have towed my boat which is 1200 lbs
with the trailer and I have not had any problems. I would be towing
quite far on the highways.

Thanks

- I towed an ASW19 with Seat Toledo 1.9TDi - same engine, heavier
car; with speeds up to 140KMH/85 MPH with absolutely no problems. Fuel
consumption goes up significantly, that's all.

Cheers

GK
N19JE
Old December 2nd 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill[_11_]

"GK" wrote

What are peoples opinions regarding towing a Russia AC4C with an
aluminum skinned trailer with a VW diesel beetle?

I know of someone who tows a LAK-12 with a 80's vintage diesel Rabbit
(Golf).

Bill

Old December 2nd 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On Dec 1, 6:33 pm, wrote:
Hello,

What are peoples opinions regarding towing a Russia AC4C with an
aluminum skinned trailer with a VW diesel beetle? The diesel engine
has plenty of torque. I have have towed my boat which is 1200 lbs
with the trailer and I have not had any problems. I would be towing
quite far on the highways.

Thanks

Hello gn,

I don't know about the New Beetle (my first car was a 1963 Beetle),
but I'll let you know an opinion.

I've found out the expensive way that no matter if the car has ample
towing power, it doesn't help if there's not enough steel in the rear
to attach the hitch to. What is the Beetle rated to tow? You say
you've towed your 1,200 lb boat/trailer. Do you know how much your
Russia and trailer weighs? I know how much my trailer/glider combo
weighs because I took it to a truck scale and weighed it. That
service cost only US $8.00. Turned out to be A LOT heavier than I
anticipated. How about 2,040 lbs? I was first guessing 1,200 lbs.
Then, maybe 1,700 lbs. But the scales showed 2,040 lbs! Holy Beer
Belly!

So, my suggestion:
1. Weigh your rig
2. Consult your car's info on towing capacity
3. Look at the hitch and how it attaches to the car. Does it attach
to some "substantial" steel? (That's hard to come by on some cars
these days...)
4. If it is automatic transmission, consider installing a
transmission oil cooler. If VW doesn't offer one, try going to a
local transmission shop and see if they can find something that will
work.
5. If the Beetle doesn't look like it's gonna work, then you might
have to do as I just did a couple of weeks ago: Buy a replacement
vehicle. I just got a Subaru Forester to replace the Honda Accord.
It's only a four cylinder of 165 h.p. vs. the 200 h.p. in the V6
Accord. But Subaru rates it to tow 2,400 lbs while the Honda is rated
to tow only 1,000 lbs. And there's really not a good way to attach a
hitch on the Accord to handle the 180 lbs of tongue weight and 2,040
lbs of trailer. The Honda is for sale...
Old December 2nd 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 1, 8:04 pm, rlovinggood wrote:
On Dec 1, 6:33 pm, wrote:

[...]

Well, I know that the trailer built by the guy in Montana had No
problems from there to Calif with a 40 mph crosswind in Nevada and an
Explorer. The original trailer was very well balenced and towed very
well. Stable and no problem in crosswinds at all. VW might be case of
tail wagging dog though. YMMV

larry
Old December 2nd 07, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

Try a search. There's been a few hundred posts on this issue this
year, with some good info contained within.

Dan
Old December 2nd 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_4_]

I tow a 1,300 lb (590 lbs Austria, 610 lbs tube) trailer with a 2006
Jetta TDI. Due to the chord of the wing - 48" - the trailer has a
53"diameter, so a lot of frontal load. Tow capacity is 2,000 lbs,
they recommend trailer brakes for over 1,000 lbs (my trailer has
hydraulic surge brakes). I have no problems towing or stopping
(braking is as important as the torque for getting going. I have a 5
speed manual transmission; I've read on the TDI club (http://
www.tdiclub.com/) that the automatic transmission might be a problem,
for the Jetta anyway. There is a TDI Beetle forum on the site
previously mentioned, where I'm betting there is a lot of info on
hitches, towing generally... there sure was for the Jetta TDI on
there. I bought a hitch and electrics for towing based on the
recommendations there.

Dan
Old December 2nd 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_4_]

On Dec 2, 12:11 pm, Dan wrote:
I tow a 1,300 lb (590 lbs Austria, 610 lbs tube) trailer with a 2006
Jetta TDI. Due to the chord of the wing - 48" - the trailer has a
53"diameter, so a lot of frontal load. Tow capacity is 2,000 lbs,
they recommend trailer brakes for over 1,000 lbs (my trailer has
hydraulic surge brakes). I have no problems towing or stopping
(braking is as important as the torque for getting going. I have a 5
speed manual transmission; I've read on the TDI club (http://www.tdiclub.com/) that the automatic transmission might be a problem,
for the Jetta anyway. There is a TDI Beetle forum on the site
previously mentioned, where I'm betting there is a lot of info on
hitches, towing generally... there sure was for the Jetta TDI on
there. I bought a hitch and electrics for towing based on the
recommendations there.

Dan

And the other 100 lbs is wing stands, cleaning stuff, etc...
Old December 4th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 2, 12:12 pm, Dan wrote:
On Dec 2, 12:11 pm, Dan wrote:

[...]

Hmmm a thread about the optimal tow vehicle and only 8 replies over a
few days? this should be up to at least 50 or 100 by now
Old December 4th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

wrote in message

Hmmm a thread about the optimal tow vehicle and only 8 replies over a
few days? this should be up to at least 50 or 100 by now

Would it help if I claim that you need one of these to tow with?

http://69.20.127.42/StaticFiles/internationalTrucks/Documents/Truck%20Detail/INT_103_RXT_SellSheet_Back_v5.pdf

It does have a diesel like the OP wanted...

:-)

Just kidding. Really.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Towing to the airport [email protected] Home Built 32 September 3rd 06 03:47 AM
banner towing Emily Piloting 9 July 8th 06 02:42 AM
Towing Roger Fowler Soaring 6 August 11th 05 04:25 AM
FAA says towing ULV's is OK? ken ward Soaring 4 September 30th 04 03:12 AM
Towing with a Segway Liam Finley Soaring 3 February 23rd 04 06:32 PM