High Performance Single Engine Choices

Old December 11th 03, 09:49 AM
Thomas Borchert

Michael,

Lacking an instrument rating, he won't
be able to file IFR.

How so?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 11th 03, 09:49 AM
Thomas Borchert

Dashi,

Man for those prices you could make a good down payment on a 100 acres and
build your own airstrip.

For those prices, you could easily get an IR ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 11th 03, 03:21 PM
Michael

Thomas Borchert wrote
Lacking an instrument rating, he won't
be able to file IFR.

Well, it is against regs. Sure, the controllers don't know, but...

See, there are a lot of people out there who file IFR without an
instrument rating. These people have the skill and knowledge to get
the rating (in fact, I would say on average they are better instrument
pilots than the average instrument rated private pilot) but they don't
get a rating for financial rasons. Don't want to pay to rent a plane
or upgrade, etc.

When you're looking at someone who can afforda Cirrus, that just
doesn't wash.

Michael
Old December 11th 03, 07:25 PM
Michael

ET wrote
See, there are a lot of people out there who file IFR without an
instrument rating.

Hrm, I know nothing about what kind of records are kept, but wouldn't
that have the potential to come back and bite you? with perhaps serious
reprocussions?

Not unless there's an accident. Records are not kept. The
controllers don't know if you are rated or not, and really they don't
care either. As long as you comply with your clearance and don't
sound worse than average on the radio, the chances of getting caught
are nil. If you're not operating out of a towered field, you might
even use a fake name and tail number.

I know a lot of people who have filed IFR without benefit of rating.
I don't know any who were caught, but I do know at least one who went
on to become a captain for a major airline.

Michael
Old December 11th 03, 08:33 PM
Jay Honeck

I know a lot of people who have filed IFR without benefit of rating.
I don't know any who were caught, but I do know at least one who went
on to become a captain for a major airline.

I've never filed IFR illegally, but I know I can fly a very precise
instrument approach by sole reference to my yoke-mounted AvMap. Throw in a
few side references to my VORs, altimeter, and my count-down timer, and I
can practically taxi to my hangar without looking out the window.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 11th 03, 08:56 PM
Russell Kent

Jay Honeck wrote:

I've never filed IFR illegally, but I know I can fly a very precise
instrument approach by sole reference to my yoke-mounted AvMap. Throw in a
few side references to my VORs, altimeter, and my count-down timer, and I
can practically taxi to my hangar without looking out the window.

Heck, any monkey can fly a plane in the soup if the AI, AH, and DG never fail or
drift. I get the impression (I'm VFR) that much of the IFR training involves
dealing with "non-ideal" situations.

If you were flying in IMC and that AvMap went TU, would you be in trouble? :-)

Russell Kent

Old December 11th 03, 09:54 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Honeck wrote:

I've never filed IFR illegally, but I know I can fly a very precise
instrument approach by sole reference to my yoke-mounted AvMap. Throw in a
few side references to my VORs, altimeter, and my count-down timer, and I
can practically taxi to my hangar without looking out the window.

So, when did you say you were getting the rating? :-) It's time. We need you
over on rec.aviation.ifr.

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.
Dave
--
Dave Butler, software engineer 919-392-4367

Old December 11th 03, 11:22 PM
Michael

"Guy Byars" wrote
If you look only at *FATAL* accidents, I think you will find the percentage
of weather related accidents (VFR into IMC) will be much higher.

Your airplane insurance won't cover medical payments (beyond some
trivial amount) or your life, so an accident that totals the plane
costs them the same whether you walk away or die. Of course there's
passenger liability, but that tends to be a small portion of the
insurance payment.

Also, weather related accident does not equal VFR into IMC. In fact,
IFR in IMC accidents account for more fatalities than VFR into IMC.

Michael