High Performance Single Engine Choices

Old December 11th 03, 11:54 PM
Ron Natalie

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
Of course there's
passenger liability, but that tends to be a small portion of the
insurance payment.

Passenger liability is a BIG portion of it. This is why the cost goes up
with the number of seats and the "per seat limits" are a lot cheaper than
smooth coverage.

Old December 12th 03, 01:20 AM
Tom

"Michael" wrote in message
m...
ET wrote
See, there are a lot of people out there who file IFR without an
instrument rating.

Hrm, I know nothing about what kind of records are kept, but wouldn't
that have the potential to come back and bite you? with perhaps serious
reprocussions?

Not unless there's an accident. Records are not kept. The
controllers don't know if you are rated or not, and really they don't
care either. As long as you comply with your clearance and don't
sound worse than average on the radio, the chances of getting caught
are nil. If you're not operating out of a towered field, you might
even use a fake name and tail number.

I know a lot of people who have filed IFR without benefit of rating.
I don't know any who were caught, but I do know at least one who went
on to become a captain for a major airline.

Are they any reports in the NTSB database of a pilot that crashed while on
an instrument clearance who was later found not qualified? I've never heard
of one.

DeBeers Advertisements:
"A Diamond is Forever!"
then...
"Diamonds - This year, take Her Breath Away!"
then still...
"Diamonds- Render Her Speechless!"
Why don't they just come out and say it: "Diamonds - That'll shut her up!"

Old December 12th 03, 01:58 AM
Ben Jackson

In article , Tom wrote:

Are they any reports in the NTSB database of a pilot that crashed while on
an instrument clearance who was later found not qualified? I've never heard
of one.

That's because your last words before crashing should be 'cancel IFR'.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old December 12th 03, 05:02 AM
Tom

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
In article , Tom

wrote:

Are they any reports in the NTSB database of a pilot that crashed while

on
an instrument clearance who was later found not qualified? I've never

heard
of one.

That's because your last words before crashing should be 'cancel IFR'.

Wouldn't change the NTSB report, but he would beat the paramedics to the
crash site by half an hour.

Old December 12th 03, 08:50 AM
Thomas Borchert

Michael,

I know a lot of people who have filed IFR without benefit of rating.
I don't know any who were caught, but I do know at least one who went
on to become a captain for a major airline.

Well, seems that one was caught here in Germany a few weeks ago in the
ultimate way: He crashed and died. Official accident report is still
not done, though.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 12th 03, 08:13 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I have met a number of pilots who were not instrument rated but claimed they
had the right stuff... There have been a couple of times when I was forced
to shoot an approach to minimums with the airplane bucking and shaking...
It would have been nice to have one of those right stuff pilots to take over
for me at that point...
Michael,

Old December 12th 03, 11:59 PM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:49:23 +0100, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Dashi,

Man for those prices you could make a good down payment on a 100 acres and
build your own airstrip.

For those prices, you could easily get an IR ;-)

AND the equipent for the airplane to go with it.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers

Old December 13th 03, 09:54 PM
O. Sami Saydjari

Does anyone have, or know where I can find, an ordered list of high
performance single-engine (HPSE) aircraft according to their crusing speed?

It would even be cooler to have (average) retail prices in the list.
If not, I will work on a project to put such a list together if others
are interested. What I would really like to see is which aircraft has
the best purchase-price-to-speed ratio. Someone has to have created
such a list somewhere?!

-Sami

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:
Folks, I am a first-time aircraft buyer. I have a general idea of the
type of aircraft I want, but am having trouble narrowing the list down.
Here is my general list of wants/needs:

1. Fast: 160 kts
2. Price range: $75K-$120K
3. Four Seater
4. Range: 800nm
5. Useful Payload (with full fuel); 650lbs
6. Retains its value well over time
7. Reliable: Engine TBO of 2000 hrs, good saftey record
8. Insurable for a pilot with only 350 hrs PIC experience (no HP/complex
time)

I have been thinking about a Piper Comanche 260 and a Piper Turbo Arrow
III/IV. I was considering a Mooney M20J, but they feel a little cramped
in the cabin to me. What I am looking for is the best dollars/kts
airplane (what we call price/performance in the computer biz) that meets
the above requirements. I would really appreciate suggestions and advice.

-Sami

Old December 13th 03, 10:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote:

What I would really like to see is which aircraft has
the best purchase-price-to-speed ratio. Someone has to have created
such a list somewhere?!

A few minutes after such a list is published in any widely-read forum, it will
be out of date. The prices on the "best" aircraft will jump about 30% shortly
thereafter.

At least, this is what happens every time a magazine like "Flying" publishes
their "Ten Best Deals" list. Stinsons recently got a boost from an AOPA article.
Good luck finding one at anything near the price AOPA quoted.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 13th 03, 11:37 PM
David Megginson

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:

What I would really like to see is which aircraft has
the best purchase-price-to-speed ratio. Someone has to have created
such a list somewhere?!

Let's see:

Mooney 201: 90,000/170 = USD 529/kt
Cessna 172: 50,000/120 = USD 416/kt