Book recommendations on weather please

Old January 2nd 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smithcorp

Default Book recommendations on weather please

G'day

I'm a student glider pilot, just post-solo, looking for a good book on
meteorology for gliding that my wife can give me for my birthday.
Since Wallington's Meteorology for Glider Pilots is out of print and
available copies are prohibitively expensive, I'd appreciate
recommendations for other books that could help me learn about weather
for soaring.

A bit of googling turned up two books that may be available here in
Australia, including Bradbury's Meteorology and Flight and Piggott's
Understanding Flying Weather. Which of these would be best for a
student, or can you recommend others please?

thanks in advance
Old January 2nd 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 2, 4:42 pm, smithcorp wrote:

I'm a student glider pilot, just post-solo, looking for a good book on
meteorology for gliding ........

Please consider the following:

Understanding The Sky

by Pagan. A great weather book for glider pilots.

Price: $24.95

Product Code: UNDG31
http://www.eglider.org
Old January 2nd 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Understanding The Sky by Pagan is outstanding. You should consider it
a "must" read

Steve (PSU)

Old January 2nd 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I have several good aviation weather books in stock he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...ct.htm#Weather

I stock the books by Piggott and Bradbury that you mentioned below. The
Bradbury book is much more complete. The Piggott book is much smaller in
size. They are both pretty inexpensive.

I ship books to Australia often - especially now with the value of the US
dollar being low. If you are curious about the shipping costs, start
entering an order and the web site will give pretty good shipping cost
estimates.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old January 3rd 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

On Jan 2, 9:42*pm, smithcorp wrote:
A bit of googling turned up two books that may be available here in
Australia, including Bradbury's Meteorology and Flight and Piggott's
Understanding Flying Weather. Which of these would be best for a
student, or can you recommend others please?

Bradbury's is very complete and very good. It's my recommendation.

Dan

Old January 3rd 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smithcorp

On Jan 3, 11:26*am, Dan G wrote:
On Jan 2, 9:42*pm, smithcorp wrote:

A bit of googling turned up two books that may be available here in
Australia, including Bradbury's Meteorology and Flight and Piggott's
Understanding Flying Weather. Which of these would be best for a
student, or can you recommend others please?

Bradbury's is very complete and very good. It's my recommendation.

Dan

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I've managed to find Bradbury
and Pagen.

Old January 3rd 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Wright

Since Wallington's Meteorology for Glider Pilots is out of print and
available copies are prohibitively expensive,

Hmm... copies available for $20 on abebooks.com You ain't gonna get it
cheaper than that. I'd sell you my copy which I bought in 1964 but I'm still
using it.

Alistair W

Old January 4th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smithcorp

On Jan 4, 2:15*am, "Alistair Wright" wrote:
Since Wallington's Meteorology for Glider Pilots is out of print and
available copies are prohibitively expensive,

Hmm... copies available for $20 on abebooks.com You ain't gonna get it
cheaper than that. I'd sell you my copy which I bought in 1964 but I'm still
using it.

Alistair W

Wow, thanks for the abebooks find. All i found previously were Amazon
and vintage booksellers wanting from $US60 up to $US200-odd. I placed
an order there for a nice third edition Wallington in great condition.
Old January 5th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Barny

Of the several I've read, I also recommend Pagan's and Bradbury's
books. Read Bradbury's first, then Pagan's. Pagan is more technical,
and Bradbury's touches more on soaring.
Old January 6th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 2, 3:42*pm, smithcorp wrote:
G'day

I'm a student glider pilot, just post-solo, looking for a good book on
meteorology for gliding that my wife can give me for my birthday.
Since Wallington's Meteorology for Glider Pilots is out of print and
available copies are prohibitively expensive, I'd appreciate
recommendations for other books that could help me learn about weather
for soaring.

A bit of googling turned up two books that may be available here in
Australia, including Bradbury's Meteorology and Flight and Piggott's
Understanding Flying Weather. Which of these would be best for a
student, or can you recommend others please?

thanks in advance

If you want to learn about the mountain wave read Exploring the
Monster by Bob Whalen. It's an historical account of the Sierra Wave
Project but reads like a thrilling novel (at least to those of us
fascinated by wave flying) I consider it a must read for anyone
interested in weather and soaring.

MM