Accident in Namibia, SH Ventus 2cxm

Old January 4th 16, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Accident in Namibia, SH Ventus 2cxm

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 1:52:46 PM UTC-5, Christopher Giacomo wrote:

I agree it is incredibly helpful and rare that accident data is shared

I just learned that some of the raw data of an NTSB accident investigation is available

http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/projList.cfm

Here is the data on the NTSB docket for Chris's accident.

http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hi...6063B8EB734D45

There is for example a .pdf map of the flight path, but the IGC log file is not included.
Old January 5th 16, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Giacomo

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 5:06:09 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 1:52:46 PM UTC-5, Christopher Giacomo wrote:

I agree it is incredibly helpful and rare that accident data is shared

I just learned that some of the raw data of an NTSB accident investigation is available

http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/projList.cfm

Here is the data on the NTSB docket for Chris's accident.

http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hi...6063B8EB734D45

There is for example a .pdf map of the flight path, but the IGC log file is not included.

Ironic that this would come up...the FAA sent me a nice e-mail today, and 3 months later they have decided with the NTSB that they changed their mind, and bailing out of a glider is now considered an "accident", not an "incident" or "occurrence" as previously thought. Time for some more paperwork...
Old January 5th 16, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smfidler

Good post Chris. Well put. No easy answers.

Best,

Sean
Old January 5th 16, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

+1 Sean
I film and log all my flights (position is also streamed in real time to SkyLines and LiveTrack24) so that if something happens people can figure out how I screwed up even if the authorities refuse to release the data or take years to finalize the accident investigation.
The update rate on the live tracking may not capture the last few seconds or there may be spotty coverage but at least people should be able to figure out if I was being stupid enough to scratch around at low altitude and low airspeed a few moments before.

In the absence of reliable eye witnesses all that people can do is speculate but the high speed vertical component in most of these accidents tends to point towards low altitude stall/spin scenarios.

Here are the fatal glider crashes in Namibia and South Africa that I am aware from January 2014 to date.

20th January 2014
Location: Tempe airport, South Africa
Glider: JS1C
Injuries/fatalities: 1 fatality
Pilot experience: The 51 year old Norwegian pilot had over 1000 hours of gliding experience and previously flew F16's in the Norwegian Airforce.
Cause: Stall/spin off an aerotow at 300 feet AGL according to eye witnesses..

24th May 2014
Location: Howick, South Africa
Glider: ASK 13
Injuries/fatalities: 2 fatalities
Pilot experience: A 62 year old with over 30 years flying experience and a 65 year old with more than 10 years flying experience.
Cause: Probably stall and spin from low altitude while ridge soaring.

30th November 2014
Location: Kiripotib, Namibia
Glider: ASH-25-EB-28
Injuries/fatalities: 2 fatalities
Pilot experience: Two very experienced New Zealand pilots aged 66 and 77.
Cause: Unknown

4th October 2015
Location: Potchefstroom, South Africa
Glider: Speed Astir
Injuries/fatalities: 1 fatality
Pilot experience: A 58 year old with 250 flying hours.
Cause: Probably low altitude stall/spin. Pilot was apparently scratching for lift at low altitude close the the airfield.

24th December 2015
Location: Bitterwasser, Namibia
Glider: Ventus 2CX
Injuries/fatalities: 1 fatality
Pilot experience: 46-year-old Swiss pilot. Flying experience unknown.
Cause: Unknown
Old January 5th 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 2:10:39 AM UTC-5, Surge wrote:
[...]

Surge, is there a report available for the accident on 20th January 2014? If so could you send me a link?

Andrzej
Old January 6th 16, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Wednesday, 6 January 2016 01:01:08 UTC+2, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
Surge, is there a report available for the accident on 20th January 2014? If so could you send me a link?

Andrzej

Unfortunately the South African CAA hasn't posted the accident report online yet so I can only assume that they're still busy finalising the investigation or they've failed to publish it on their website (neither of which would surprise me).
http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/Accidents...t-reports.aspx

Eye witnesses report seeing the glider spin in from approximately 300 feet AGL and the tug pilot reported a severe pull on the tow rope which broke.

The only official news was a statement made by the Chairman of Soaring Society of South Africa:

At 12h20 today a 51 year old pilot from Norway was killed in a social gliding accident near Tempe airport. The next of kin was informed telephonically shortly thereafter. The pilot is known as Mr Arent Arntzen and was killed when his aircraft allegedly spun into the ground after breaking the tow rope of the "tug plane" taking the glider up. The Pilot has more than 1000 hours of gliding experience and previously flew F16's in the Norwegian Airforce.

The tug pilot immediately radioed the accident to a passing military helicopter who dropped a paramedic at the scene shortly thereafter. The local flying school operation at Tempe was also contacted and implemented the emergency protocol immediately. It is believed that the pilot was killed on impact. Tempe hosts gliding facilities for Europeans wishing to fly in South Africa for leisure during their winter months.

The Civil Aviation Authority has been contacted and will proceed with an investigation as to the reason for the accident.

Soaring is regarded as one of the safest sports and have a very good track record. Whether the pilot incurred a medical problem, pilot error or equipment failure is best left to the investigation team to discourage speculation.

The Soaring Society of South Africa extends its condolences to the family of the deceased.

Kind regards

Dirk Smit
Chairman of Soaring Society of South Africa - SSSA
Old January 13th 16, 10:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

According to a post on a private news group, another glider crashed in Namibia on the 11th January 2016.

Evidently it's a D-registered Nimbus 4 (DM?) and the two pilots on board managed to parachute to safety.

Does anyone else know about the accident?
Old January 13th 16, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smfidler

Wow. Is it just me or is Namibia is experiencing a proportionately large number of accidents?

Be careful over there boys (and girls).

7T
Old January 14th 16, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

According to a friend present at Bitterwasser, the glider went into a kind of spiral dive at 3600 meter altitude. The pilots couldn't get it under control, and the glider lost a wing. The pilots bailed out at 700 and 500 m respectively. One is unharmed, the other has back injuries.
Old January 14th 16, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Is this an accident with a Nimbus 4D you are speaking of?

Namibia - Bitterwasser rhwoody Soaring 4 March 2nd 11 09:33 PM
Ventus 2cxM Solo 2625 01 EGT Installation Chris Woolley Soaring 2 April 4th 08 04:09 AM
Gliding in Namibia Ian Johnston Soaring 13 April 29th 06 07:01 AM
[PICTURES] NAMIBIA Frederic FUCHS Soaring 6 January 13th 06 02:58 PM
Flying In namibia tom Piloting 1 March 22nd 05 07:07 PM