LX Nav LX8080 Question

Old March 6th 14, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Edmonds

Default LX Nav LX8080 Question

The LX8080 fits directly into an 80 mm instrument hole but has a small screen. Does anyone out there have one of these units and can give an opinion as to if the screen size is adequate or not? The trend is going towards larger screens but being able to install a navigation system in limited space is a big plus.
Terry Edmonds
Old March 6th 14, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:07:34 AM UTC-6, Terry Edmonds wrote:
The LX8080 fits directly into an 80 mm instrument hole but has a small screen. Does anyone out there have one of these units and can give an opinion as to if the screen size is adequate or not? The trend is going towards larger screens but being able to install a navigation system in limited space is a big plus.

Terry Edmonds

BTW can anyone tell me how to get rid of the "me" in my group display name? I change my display name but it keeps coming back this way.
Old March 6th 14, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

BTW can anyone tell me how to get rid of the "me" in my group display name? I change my display name but it keeps coming back this way.

We all see you as Terry Edmonds. You only see yourself as "me"
..
Old March 6th 14, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:17:09 AM UTC-6, Kevin Christner wrote:
BTW can anyone tell me how to get rid of the "me" in my group display name? I change my display name but it keeps coming back this way.

We all see you as Terry Edmonds. You only see yourself as "me"

.

Thanks Kevin, I did not realize that.
Old March 6th 14, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:07:34 AM UTC-7, Terry Edmonds wrote:
The LX8080 fits directly into an 80 mm instrument hole but has a small screen. Does anyone out there have one of these units and can give an opinion as to if the screen size is adequate or not? The trend is going towards larger screens but being able to install a navigation system in limited space is a big plus.

Terry Edmonds

Terry - One option to possibly consider, when dealing with limited panel space, is going with the LX9000 on a RAM mount. I installed one over the winter and it worked out very well and you get the bigger screen. There are photos on the Cumulus Soaring website. Thx - Renny
Old March 6th 14, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

I think that LX9000 with the 5.6" diagonal screen is great but that
3.5" LX8000 screen is marginal in size and the 2.8" diagonal
screen LX8080 is just too small. It is less than 40% of the area
of an Oudie screen by my reckoning.

John Galloway

Old March 7th 14, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Renny, when will you be at the airport again? I'd like to take a look at
your Ram installation.

Old March 8th 14, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Garret Willat

Terry,

There is a lot of information on a small screen. Of course a bigger screen is going to be easier on the eyes. I have flown a little with one, it does the job...But having a big screen is really nice too, can have larger font and a bigger moving map. I prefer the larger screen, however depending on the panel that might need a RAM mount or a completely new panel, I am not a huge fan of RAM mounting instruments if I dont have to. Less things in the cockpit and looks nicer when in the panel. However with the larger screens like an LX9000 or ClearNav that means potentially using smaller instruments, added cost and being able to read those...

I have a lot of time with an SN10b and I never had a problem seeing the numbers I needed to. The LX8080 is great for being able to install and fly without major modifications to existing panel (as I assume you are replacing an 80 and 57mm instrument).

Garret Willat
www.wingsandwheels.com
Old March 8th 14, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 12:11:28 AM UTC-5, Garret Willat wrote:
[...]

SN10B is monochrome (very easy to read), LX8080 in color will not be as easy to read.

I spent a lot of time trying to decide between LX8080 and LX9000 and I decided to redo the panel.

If I were in my twenties I would see myself buying the smaller unit, but I am not so either LX9000/ClearNav or something like LX7000/SN10 monochrome is a better choice.

I went with LX9000. I would rather buy Dell Streak 5" instead of LX8080, of course software would be limited to TopHap (pretty good) or XCSoar.

Also the price difference is so small between the LX8080 and LX9000 I am not sure why anyone would buy the LX8080. You can purchase with minimal features for less but then one would be better off with SN10 or LX7000 for much less money in that scenario and with better readability of the screen.

Of course you might have difference preferences. It is good to have choices these days .

OT- Question Pa[_2_] Aviation Photos 5 March 18th 07 01:08 PM
I want to ask you the most important question of your life. The question is: Are you saved? It is no gasman Soaring 0 August 26th 05 06:39 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM
Question of the Day M B Soaring 16 September 10th 03 07:30 AM