A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sorting out Experimental Airworthiness Certification and LSA designation

Old April 17th 14, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default Sorting out Experimental Airworthiness Certification and LSA designation

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:02:54 PM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:11:33 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:33:29 AM UTC-4, Tom (2NO) wrote:

"I would like to get rid of the 300 NM geographic radius limitation and also eliminate the need for a program letter whenever I want to fly outside that radius."

If you simply add OLC to your list of events you never have to worry about the geographic limitation.

I suppose that would work until someone at my FSDO decides that OLC is not a 'race' in the same sense as what is called a 'race' in my operating limitations written in 1998.

Your operating limitations should say something about FAI and SSA records and awards. SSA recognizes OLC.

Frank Whiteley

That is, given the date of your operating limitations. FAA Order 8130.2 has omitted those from the lexicon for the past few revisions.

The new draft order is available here. Comment period closed Feb 7.
http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/draft_do...der_8130.2.pdf

Frank Whiteley
Old April 18th 14, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T
external usenet poster

Default Sorting out Experimental Airworthiness Certification and LSA designation

Aircraft (gliders) imported to the US under a TCDS. For a foreign manufacturer to import with a "standard" certificate would have to go through a lot more proce$$es and expen$e. The FAA orders related to airworthy certs recognize the factory built glider under the "experimental for exhibition and racing".

Not many current manufacture gliders meet LSA. Their VNE is to high.
BT
Old April 18th 14, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 18, 2014 12:16:16 AM UTC-4, Bill T wrote:

Not many current manufacture gliders meet LSA. Their VNE is to high.

It would likely be a trainer or something like the PW-5.
Old April 23rd 14, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Though it is not the absolute final word, a DAR told me today that it currently impossible to convert an Experimental Glider Racing/Exhibition air-worthiness to E-LSA (Experimental LSA).

I was interested in doing this because an owner can obtain a 'repairman' rating (after taking a 16 hour course) for an E-LSA (even if it was not home-built). Repairman seems to be a good match to what I would like to be able to do legally with my glider without supervision.
Old April 24th 14, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:02:04 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
Though it is not the absolute final word, a DAR told me today that it currently impossible to convert an Experimental Glider Racing/Exhibition air-worthiness to E-LSA (Experimental LSA).

I was interested in doing this because an owner can obtain a 'repairman' rating (after taking a 16 hour course) for an E-LSA (even if it was not home-built). Repairman seems to be a good match to what I would like to be able to do legally with my glider without supervision.

If you think of the next potential owner and resale value, you might think again.
Old April 25th 14, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:15:53 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:

If you think of the next potential owner and resale value, you might think again.

That had occurred to me. The cheap way to get into an E-LSA is to buy a used low hours weight shift soarable trike. They do not hold their value and they are a way to on a calm day with marginal lift.