New video of gliders racing 1000 ft above the desert

Old March 20th 12, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Default New video of gliders racing 1000 ft above the desert

A few friends and I had an amazing time last week down at the
Hurricane, Utah airport doing some early spring soaring. I tested out
a new GoPro Hero2 HD video recorder (sorry about being hand held) and
was very pleased with the quality and results. I have 2 videos from
this trip with this one being the first and another spectacular one
coming out next week - soaring inside of Kolob Canyon below the
rim...

This week's video can be found on my youtube channel. Please make sure
to watch in full screen mode and as high of HD quality as your
computer allows. Worth the extra time to download clearer video!
It is hard to imagine that gliders could comfortably cruise less than
1,000 feet above the desert floor at ground speeds often over 140
miles per hour for over 20 miles with nowhere to land in sight!

This video shows pilots Bruno Vassel (B4 in an ASW-27B), Tim Taylor
(TT in a Ventus 2a) and Dan Wrobel (DW in a Ventus B) flying high
performance sailplanes along the small ridge southbound from the
Hurricane, Utah airport. We also had a great time soaring with Steve
in an LS3 flying R5. Note the completely unlandable terrain both
above and below the ridge making for spectacular scenery but scary
flying. This was a very fun day of flying!

http://youtu.be/aob5JxEFTw0?hd=1

Thanks for watching, Bruno (B4)
Old March 20th 12, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Mar 20, 8:50*am, Bruno wrote:
[...]

Thanks for watchinAg, Bruno (B4)

Nice Bruno!

GoPro 2 video is excellent.

Mike Carris
Old March 20th 12, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Mar 20, 7:50*am, Bruno wrote:
[...]

Excellent! was the GoPro inside the plastic case?

Brad
Old March 20th 12, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Bruno,

Most excellent!! You had me chuckling at the end when you turned the
camera on yourself.

bumper
zz Minden

PS, Course without the extra 2 point L/D gain from your gorgeous MKIV
yaw string installation, this flight would hardly have been possible
(grin).

Old March 20th 12, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

If the trend continues eventually your winglets will shrink to
nothing.

I bet you were wishing there was even a fully grown wheat field along
that ridge!

glad you, Tim, and Dan had fun.
Old March 20th 12, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

Excellent! was the GoPro inside the plastic case?

Brad

Thanks for the supportive comments everyone. It is so fun to share
flights with others. Yes, the GoPro was using the regular outside
plastic housing. I added an extended battery pack to the back of the
GoPro for around $50. Since a 32 gig card can handle around 3.5 hours
of video, it is always the batteries that die first. We'll see how
long the regular battery + extended will last together. I will be
thrilled with anything over 3 hours total.

Bruno - B4
Old March 20th 12, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Mar 20, 11:50*am, Bruno wrote:
Excellent! was the GoPro inside the plastic case?

Brad

Thanks for the supportive comments everyone. It is so fun to share
flights with others. *Yes, the GoPro was using the regular outside
plastic housing. I added an extended battery pack to the back of the
GoPro for around $50. Since a 32 gig card can handle around 3.5 hours
of video, it is always the batteries that die first. *We'll see how
long the regular battery + extended will last together. I will be
thrilled with anything over 3 hours total.

Bruno - B4

Thanks for the info Bruno................I'm thinking of up-grading to
either the GoPro you are using, or the Drift HD that uses a wireless
remote. The thought is to be able to turn on and off the camera to
save storage and battery for the "exciting" parts of the flight. I
always seem to run out of battery power when I'm racing up and down
the ridges!

I think there is a wireless unit for the GoPro but am not sure about
that.

Brad
Old March 20th 12, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Mar 20, 1:13*pm, Brad wrote:
On Mar 20, 11:50*am, Bruno wrote:

[...]

With a GoPro you can record just by turning the camera on and stop by
turning it off. Only one button.
Old March 20th 12, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Mar 20, 1:38*pm, Mike C wrote:
On Mar 20, 1:13*pm, Brad wrote:

On Mar 20, 11:50*am, Bruno wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike,

yup, unless it's secured outside on the tail!

I'm using on of the original GoPro cameras, the light gathering
ability is poor and so is the battery life, but it's still fun to set
up in the sailplane, especially for the Tetra-15 first flights. It
needs to be replaced with a new HD unit of some type.

Brad