Notes on the Vertica 2, Gliderguider PNA

Old October 17th 12, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Default Notes on the Vertica 2, Gliderguider PNA

I have just installed WinPilot PRO 12.02 for PNA's (yes, PNA's) on the V2. I now have 2 soaring programs installed on the PNA (not the storage card) including extra maps and TP's. I still have ample room to even add another soaring program which I will due shortly. I can operate even more from the mini SD card.
WinPilot PRO is asking for information from my CAI 302. The serial cable is not here yet, so its just going to have to wait. Runs fine in simulator mode.

Important: If you are installing any software on the V2 which requires a password, you first need to disable "spell check" and "suggested words." Settingsinputword completionnow on this page you need to uncheck 2 boxes. Simple and now you can run the program and enter your password.

Now, on my other recent post, this was done just to help those who might like some information. It was my bad that I just posted links on my page which would lead readers to information if they so desired. I do believe that everyone is very thankful as to where we are now versus where we have been. Many have done a lot of hard work on their programs and rightly are proud of their work. Sure, it would be nice if we all could drive a new F 12 or ZR1 to shop at Wal Mart, but its just not so for many of us. Its all about choices we have these days and I do think that's something we all should be grateful for.

Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe.

#711.

Old October 18th 12, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom,

I agree with your view of the "shareware" navigators. I have been touting the benefits of a Mio with LK8000 for the last year or so. On a rain day at Oktoberfest this year we had a two hour seminar on the overhead TV using simulator mode. There were about twenty people trying out the program on six Mios I passed around. For less than $100 a club member can get going with GPS task navigation. Like you pointed out, there may be nicer machines but you have to pay the bucks to play.

Lane
XF

#711.

I am very interested seeing this working. Specifically the PRO features of Winpilot when connected to the V2. Does it communicate correctly, mainly that the McReady, bug settings, arrival altitudes etc stay synchronized, and that the climb maximizer works.
Old October 21st 12, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom...please expand on running WPP on your GliderGuider.

Before your post, it was my understanding there was not a PNA version available for WPP. Does GliderGuider run the old PDA version of WPP? If it is the old version, can you confirm all WPP features are working on your PNA?

Or, did you purchase a new WPP version specifically written for a PNA device? If yes, who do I contact to purchase WPP-PNA?

I have e-mailed the WinPilot website with the same questions but there has not been a response.

#711.

The PNA version should run on this device (it is Windows Mobile). There is a PRO version, but it sounds like it may not be fully implemented or tested.. If you download the v12 file, you will find it labeled V10. There is some hope that it would work, or work well enough. The question mark is whether the serial ports get correctly configured.

Too bad Winpilot doesn't do one last gasp for this device - I think there would be fair demand as the screen brightness seems to be a large step up from anything else that runs WPP. And even though effectively unsupported there are some of us who think WPP is still a step above the others.

We are eagerly awaiting the results of Tom's tests.....
Old October 22nd 12, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The PNA version should run on this device (it is Windows Mobile). There is a PRO version, but it sounds like it may not be fully implemented or tested. If you download the v12 file, you will find it labeled V10. There is some hope that it would work, or work well enough. The question mark is whether the serial ports get correctly configured.

Too bad Winpilot doesn't do one last gasp for this device - I think there would be fair demand as the screen brightness seems to be a large step up from anything else that runs WPP. And even though effectively unsupported there are some of us who think WPP is still a step above the others.

We are eagerly awaiting the results of Tom's tests.....

I emailed Tom directly about the details of running WPP on this PNA, and I believe he working on that as we type. I run WPP9 on an IPAQ 3955 as my secondary nav system (primary is ClearNav), mostly for the excellent 'bread-crumb' display on WPP (not the "thermal assistant") as it is really helpful when trying to make that crappy 1kt thermal work at 1000' agl. I would really love to have this same functionality on a device that I could actually see in bright sunlight! ;-).

TA

Old October 22nd 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Oct 21, 7:07*pm, wrote:
[...]

Thermal tracks function on CN (http://www.clearnav.net/CN_Manual/
Manual/CN-Manual-RibbonMenu.html) doesn't do it for you?

Evan Ludeman / T8

PS: please register @ http://www.clearnav.net/simplemachinesforum/ for
discussion of all things ClearNav
Old October 22nd 12, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Oct 21, 7:26*pm, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Oct 21, 7:07*pm, wrote:

[...]

Let me try that again (damn Google Groups!)

Thermal tracks function on CN http://tinyurl.com/8st8vpk doesn't do it

#711.

Bumping this to the top as I am still very interested in WP Pro running on this device....