Installing aileron/flap seals

Old April 16th 13, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]

Default Installing aileron/flap seals

I flew the Janus last year without any aileron/flap seals at all. This year I want to try it with all the seals.
I've found plenty of 'how to' articles regarding the mylar seals. I would also like to install the cloth 'S' seals, but haven't found any helpful hints on that subject (yet).
If anyone has a reference, please post it up!

Thanks,
Jim
Old April 16th 13, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, Fidel at Applebay Aircraft, advised me to wait until the temperature
was above 80-85 degrees before applying the mylar seals to my LAK. I asked
him if I could do it sooner and he said, "Sure, if you want to practice
putting them on."

I didn't bother with 'S' seals, instead, I used a flexible tape which simply
lays across the gap. To apply, flex the control fully up and then apply the
tape, slowly move the control down while tucking the loosening tape into the
gap. It will be trained to stay in the gap when the control is down and
there's just enough excess to not interfere with the control when it's up.

Hope that was clear.

Old April 17th 13, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]

Thanks Dan,
That's clear, and that's how the rudder gap is sealed on my Speed Astir. In the case of the Janus, the hinge point is far enough off the edge that I don't think that will work.
See you next weekend!!!
Old April 17th 13, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You bet!

I'll be taking my ship apart and putting it in the box tomorrow for the trip
on Friday.

How are the winds there? We're getting gusts of 40-50 kts and more here.
Makes ground handling a bit dicey!

Dan

Old April 17th 13, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:28:39 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
You bet! I'll be taking my ship apart and putting it in the box tomorrow for the trip on Friday. How are the winds there? We're getting gusts of 40-50 kts and more here. Makes ground handling a bit dicey! Dan "Uncle Fuzzy" wrote in message ... Thanks Dan, That's clear, and that's how the rudder gap is sealed on my Speed Astir. In the case of the Janus, the hinge point is far enough off the edge that I don't think that will work. See you next weekend!!!

Right now it's cold (by Las Vegas Standards) and blowing 25 knots. Forecast is for increasing temperatures, and single digit wind speeds for the weekend.
Old April 17th 13, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's good to hear.

Leaving Moriarty airport today I couldn't see the mountains due to blowing
dust (gust up to 50 kts) and, on that 25 mile ride (Harley) the temperature
dropped 30 degrees and it began to snow.

I hope you guys bring a lot of wood for the bon fire!