How important are aileron gap seals?

Old May 22nd 13, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

Default How important are aileron gap seals?

What is lost without them? One point of glide? What about sink rate?
Is this just for racers? My glider does not have them.
Does anyone have any facts on this?
Thanks.
Old May 22nd 13, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:20:54 PM UTC-5, soartech wrote:
What is lost without them? One point of glide? What about sink rate? Is this just for racers? My glider does not have them. Does anyone have any facts on this? Thanks.

sealing the ailerons on my Cherokee provided a marked improvement in roll rate.
Old May 22nd 13, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:20:54 PM UTC-4, soartech wrote:
What is lost without them? One point of glide? What about sink rate?

Is this just for racers? My glider does not have them.

Does anyone have any facts on this?

Thanks.

Depends on the type of glider...
Old May 22nd 13, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a friend who flew a DG-606 with internal gap seals. One day he went into a brutal, uncharacteristic spin that allmost killed him. He got out of the spin at very low level. The glider was thoroughly checked to try to understand why it had reacted that way. It appeared that the internal aileron gap seals had failed. After replacement, the glider went back to its usual benign flight characteristics...

Now, everything will depend on the type of glider and the type of ailerons. Some older gliders had ailerons with a gap, by design.
Old May 22nd 13, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 5/22/2013 11:20 AM, soartech wrote:
What is lost without them?

For the truly anal, mostly sleep! :-)
- - - - - -

One point of glide?

It depends...!
- - - - - -

What about sink rate?

It depends...!
- - - - - -

Is this just for racers? My glider does not have them.
Does anyone have any facts on this?

Facts?!? Now you've done gone and changed a relatively simple question to a
genuinely complex one!

If you're OK with conclusions drawn via observational extrapolation and the
application of "common sense" (of which the development of airplanes -
including sailplanes - has a long and rich history), gap seals are obviously
not *required* for effective aerodynamic 3-axis control.

What they *are* good for is aerodynamic efficiency and improving control
effectiveness, most commonly detectable at lower-end speeds. True for gliders
and powerplanes. This was well known in the powerplane (e.g. racing) field by
the mid 1930s.

Sealing control gaps tends to make the sealed controls act more like a part of
the larger appendage (e.g. main wing, horizontal stabilizer/elevator, vertical
stabilizer/rudder), than a separate, trailing, appendage, by reducing
(eliminating?) "cross-talk" between the higher-to-lower pressure side of the
fixed/moveable assembly. With a(n impermeable) seal in place and ignoring tip
effects, cross talk can't begin until the trailing end of the moving portion,
as opposed to beginning at the gap itself. As with everything aerodynamic,
there's books-full of complexities associated with the above claim, but the
claim is accurate.

As noted in other threads, poorly installed/worn gap seals can cause more
problems than well-installed ones fix...something to bear in mind if the
absence of gap seals on your bird bugs you. (Their absence never did on the
Schweizers I owned...come to think of it, the last glider I owned that had
[external vinyl tape] gap seals was in 1981!)

It's a safe generalization to presume - in the absence of solid information to
the contrary - that EVERYthing having to do with gliders' external surface
configurations not explicitly determined by some underlying structural
consideration, is done for (at a minimum) aerodynamic drag reduction purposes.
Gap seals (say on a tube-n-rag Schweizer) being a case in point...

Bob W.
Old May 22nd 13, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

soartech wrote, On 5/22/2013 10:20 AM:
What is lost without them? One point of glide? What about sink rate?
Is this just for racers? My glider does not have them.
Does anyone have any facts on this?
Thanks.

Are you asking about "seals" - a flexible material like tape between the
wing and control surface to prevent air from leaking between the two. It
might be external or internal.

Or, are you asking about "fairings" - generally Mylar across the top or
the bottom the wing/control surface gap to smooth the airflow across the
gap. The fairing is external only, and might also reduce the leakage
from bottom surface to top surface.

My glider came with both, but I have no idea of how much they affect the
performance. I know the top fairings can degrade the climb when they
lose their curvature after 10 years or so.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old May 23rd 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

soartech wrote:
What is lost without them? One point of glide? What about sink rate?
Is this just for racers? My glider does not have them.
Does anyone have any facts on this?
Thanks.

Our CFI was bitching about the lousy roll rate on the 2-33. We decided to
just put some gap tape over the aileron gap, and it actually improved the
performance markedly.

Peter
Old May 23rd 13, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:27:37 PM UTC-5, vontresc wrote:
soartech wrote:

What is lost without them? One point of glide? What about sink rate?

Is this just for racers? My glider does not have them.

Does anyone have any facts on this?

Thanks.

Our CFI was bitching about the lousy roll rate on the 2-33. We decided to

just put some gap tape over the aileron gap, and it actually improved the

performance markedly.

Peter

The 2-33 at the Wichita Gliderport has the ailerons sealed nicely and it is hands down the nicest flying 2-33 I have had the pleasure of flying.

The 'drag queens' may show the most improvement with these kind of small things because they have the most to gain!
Old May 23rd 13, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:46:22 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

The 2-33 at the Wichita Gliderport has the ailerons sealed nicely and it is hands down the nicest flying 2-33 I have had the pleasure of flying.

That may be the single most improbable English sentence ever typed :-).

T8
Old May 23rd 13, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:31:14 AM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:46:22 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote: The 2-33 at the Wichita Gliderport has the ailerons sealed nicely and it is hands down the nicest flying 2-33 I have had the pleasure of flying. That may be the single most improbable English sentence ever typed :-). T8

i know its hard to believe but that 2-33 really is nice to fly. It is serial 20, very clean, well sealed, not full of dents, etc. We used to have serial 10 at our club and it was also a nice flying but less pretty glider. I've heard that at some point during the run they decreased the aileron deflection which probably had a negative impact on roll rate.

Installing aileron/flap seals Uncle Fuzzy[_2_] Soaring 5 April 17th 13 11:52 PM
Mylar aileron and flap seals Grider Pirate[_2_] Soaring 12 June 2nd 12 01:52 AM
mylar seals wing to flap/ Aileron culverflyer Soaring 2 May 5th 04 02:52 PM
mylar seals D.A.L Soaring 1 February 23rd 04 07:15 PM
New ear seals Chris Owning 7 December 16th 03 01:02 AM