Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 15th 05, 01:34 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:05A7e.15730$GJ.8906@attbi_s71...
For some odd reason, the French just go "Se la vie" and shrug
their shoulders.

come on ... it is "C'est la vie"

My French ancestors are spinning in their graves, I'm sure...

;-)

I knew there was something about you I didn't like! :~)

Old April 15th 05, 01:35 AM
Matt Barrow

"Blueskies" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

If it hit $7.50 a gallon, you would see a revolution in America.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Everyone was thinking there would be a revolution back in the 70's when it

hit 60 cents a gallon! The only revolution I
saw was to watch the auto industry crumple and dollars go overseas to the

imports...

Yup, and they elected Jimmy Carter...and the rest, as they say, is history.

Old April 15th 05, 01:49 AM
Bob Fry

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

The US has become totally addicted to spending tomorrow's money
today.

Worse: we are not even spending our own money. We are spending Other
People's Money at vast rates, $2 Billion every day, according to Paul
Volcker. How long will that keep up? When will this house of cards
collapse and we will actually have to earn our living instead of
borrowing it?

Old April 15th 05, 01:53 AM
Bob Fry

"AliR" writes:

If my government taxed gasoline so that it cost $7.50 per gallon, I would

be
standing on my representatives desk right now. And so would millions of
Americans. For some odd reason, the French just go "Se la vie" and shrug
their shoulders.

Don't worry it will be up there pretty soon, the price of avgas has doubled
in the last 4 years, say double up again in another 4 and there you have it.

Yup. Only the money will go to support corrupt mid-east governments
who after hiring foreign labor to do their own work, hand the money
left over to terrorists. Wait...that doesn't sound *so* different
from what I see here....

Old April 15th 05, 02:00 AM
Bob Fry

"William W. Plummer" writes:

Peter Duniho wrote:

[snip]
Your message is offensive. MYOB.

Peter's message was thoughtful and on target, and while he sure
doesn't need me to defend him, I do anyway. Calling out a poster who
regularly stereotypes and disparages entire nations and continents is
very much all of our business.
Old April 15th 05, 02:25 AM
Bob Noel

In article , (G Farris)
wrote:

[snip]
For all of these differences, flying in France is not that different from the
US - except for the fuel price, that is.

interesting statement, but it seems to me that your discussion
below contradicts that claim.

For the recreational and VFR pilot,
most of France is class "G" - below 11500ft - above this it is "D", and
they'll never let you in under VFR. But stay below that and you go pretty
much
where you want. Airspace restrictions require you to call for clearances
pretty often - but I've never had a request refused, and this keeps you in
contact almost constantly with someone or other - because information
services
(particularly weather reporting) are poor to non-existant. Once you get into
IFR and commercial operations costs are much higher than in the US, and there
are a lot of regulations. Only about 15% of PPL's in France are IFR rated,
against roughly 50% in the US. Typical cost for an IR rating is $20K (from
PPL). Night flying is not included in the standard PPL, and requires a
logbook
endorsement - there are special routes to follow, usually related to noise
abatement. Rental rates reflect the high fuel cost, but they include a sort
of
"nationalized" insurance which I understand is not bad (never had to use it).
Landing and parking fees are ubiquitous, but moderate. A $100 hamburger
becomes a $200 Cote de Boeuf. [snip]

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old April 15th 05, 02:50 AM
Newps

"AliR" writes:

Don't worry it will be up there pretty soon, the price of avgas has doubled
in the last 4 years, say double up again in another 4 and there you have it.

Maybe where you live but not here, or anywhere else I know of. I have
owned a plane for 7 years. Avgas has always been over $2 a gallon here
at my home field, usually around $2.50. Now it is $3.60. At the
outlying fields you might have occasionally found a sale at $1.99, those
places now sell it for $2.60 +- .05.
Old April 15th 05, 02:59 AM
Gary Drescher

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"William W. Plummer" writes:

Peter Duniho wrote:

[snip]
Your message is offensive. MYOB.

Peter's message was thoughtful and on target, and while he sure
doesn't need me to defend him, I do anyway. Calling out a poster who
regularly stereotypes and disparages entire nations and continents is
very much all of our business.

Agreed. Not to mention the absurdity of saying "MYOB" regarding a public
newsgroup post.

--Gary

Old April 15th 05, 03:28 AM
George Patterson

tony roberts wrote:
Racist?

Makes you wonder how people so dunder-headed ever spawned men like
Bleriot...

That's not racist? One of us is missing something.

Since when are the French a separate race?

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 15th 05, 03:30 AM
George Patterson

William W. Plummer wrote:

MYOB.

That *is* his business, and the business of any considerate, thinking adult.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 06:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM