Expanding a bronze bushing?

Old September 14th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default Expanding a bronze bushing?

I have a small bronze bushing whose OD I'd like to expand slightly so
it fits the ID of a tube.
I seem to recall there was a way to expand the OD slightly with
something like a knurling tool.
Does that sound familiar?
Is there an easy way to do this? - Mike

Old September 15th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim[_8_]

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I have a small bronze bushing whose OD I'd like to expand slightly so
it fits the ID of a tube.
I seem to recall there was a way to expand the OD slightly with
something like a knurling tool.
Does that sound familiar?
Is there an easy way to do this? - Mike

Depends on how much you want to expand it. Knurling in a lath will give you
up to .010 or so.

Old September 15th 09, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I have a small bronze bushing whose OD I'd like to expand slightly so
it fits the ID of a tube.
I seem to recall there was a way to expand the OD slightly with
something like a knurling tool.
Does that sound familiar?
Is there an easy way to do this? - Mike

That method is generally recognized as cowboy engineering.
You might hope for better life from using a metal powder filled epoxy
to fill the gap, and that's no great shakes either.
Pick a bigger bush and reduce it, if you possibly can.

Brian W
Old September 15th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"brian whatcott" wrote in message
Michael Horowitz wrote:
I have a small bronze bushing whose OD I'd like to expand slightly so
it fits the ID of a tube.
I seem to recall there was a way to expand the OD slightly with
something like a knurling tool. Does that sound familiar? Is there an
easy way to do this? - Mike

That method is generally recognized as cowboy engineering.
You might hope for better life from using a metal powder filled epoxy to
fill the gap, and that's no great shakes either.
Pick a bigger bush and reduce it, if you possibly can.

Brian W

What??? Is "cowboy engineering" the newest politically correct version of
political incorrectness in describing a "kluge" or generally unacceptable
practice?

Peter ;-)))
You're gonna upset some guys who're real good with .44s

Old September 15th 09, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I have a small bronze bushing whose OD I'd like to expand slightly so
it fits the ID of a tube.
I seem to recall there was a way to expand the OD slightly with
something like a knurling tool. Does that sound familiar? Is there an
easy way to do this? - Mike

That method is generally recognized as cowboy engineering.
You might hope for better life from using a metal powder filled epoxy to
fill the gap, and that's no great shakes either.
Pick a bigger bush and reduce it, if you possibly can.

Brian W

What??? Is "cowboy engineering" the newest politically correct version of
political incorrectness in describing a "kluge" or generally unacceptable
practice?

Peter ;-)))
You're gonna upset some guys who're real good with .44s

.44 is for sissies, try .500 S&W magnum. In any event knurling isn't
a good solution for something on which your life may depend. There
simply isn't enough surface generated by knurling. I have done it for
toy steam engines, but would never do it for something that has
significant forces applied. Bear in mind bronze and the tube material
have different temperature expansion rates.

If you don't need to apply a lot of force to it you can use a prick
punch to stipple the outside of the bushing if you don't have access to
a lathe and knurling tool.

If you choose to make your own bushing bear in mind there are
different bronze alloys each with its own characteristics. I use
phosphor bronze for most of my bearing applications.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old September 15th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_3_]

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:44:02 -0400, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

I have a small bronze bushing whose OD I'd like to expand slightly so
it fits the ID of a tube.
I seem to recall there was a way to expand the OD slightly with
something like a knurling tool.
Does that sound familiar?
Is there an easy way to do this? - Mike

MIKE, for crissake!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

post the dimensions you need and I'll machine you a new one.

sTEALTH pILOT

sEE YOU'VE UPSET ME THAT MUCH THAT THE CAPS LOCK HAS JAMBED.

Old September 15th 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

wrote:

I have a small bronze bushing whose OD I'd like to expand slightly so
it fits the ID of a tube.
I seem to recall there was a way to expand the OD slightly with
something like a knurling tool.
Does that sound familiar?
Is there an easy way to do this? - Mike

MIKE, for crissake!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

post the dimensions you need and I'll machine you a new one.

sTEALTH pILOT

sEE YOU'VE UPSET ME THAT MUCH THAT THE CAPS LOCK HAS JAMBED.

mINE DOES THAT aLL THE tIME!!--jERRY
Old September 15th 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_3_]

wrote:

I have a small bronze bushing whose OD I'd like to expand slightly so
it fits the ID of a tube.
I seem to recall there was a way to expand the OD slightly with
something like a knurling tool.
Does that sound familiar?
Is there an easy way to do this? - Mike

MIKE, for crissake!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

post the dimensions you need and I'll machine you a new one.

sTEALTH pILOT

sEE YOU'VE UPSET ME THAT MUCH THAT THE CAPS LOCK HAS JAMBED.

mINE DOES THAT aLL THE tIME!!--jERRY

we should make it an internet project.
absolutely everyone in the world with a lathe makes him a new bushing
insert and sends it to him.

maybe after the 80,000th bushing arrives it will sink in that in
aircraft you do it properly or not at all.

(have you been too embarrassed to ask for a bushing jERRY?)

Stealth :-) Pilot
Old September 15th 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Michael Horowitz wrote:
[...]

AFAIK, the .44 was the percussion cap wheel gun that became the .45 Long
Colt, a/k/a The Gun That Won The West, and extremely popular amoung cowboys
during the brief period of the Old West.

In any case, I agree with you about knurling.
Peter

Old September 15th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

wrote:

I have a small bronze bushing whose OD I'd like to expand slightly so
it fits the ID of a tube.
I seem to recall there was a way to expand the OD slightly with
something like a knurling tool. Does that sound familiar? Is there an
easy way to do this? - Mike

MIKE, for crissake!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

post the dimensions you need and I'll machine you a new one.

sTEALTH pILOT

sEE YOU'VE UPSET ME THAT MUCH THAT THE CAPS LOCK HAS JAMBED.

mINE DOES THAT aLL THE tIME!!--jERRY

HeY, dOn'T mAkE fUn Of ThOsE wItH oNe ArM lOnGeR
tHaN tHe OtHeR.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired