selecting wheels and tyres

Old March 10th 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Default selecting wheels and tyres

I am surprised at finding precious little information on how to select
wheels and tyres when designing a plane from scratch.

At least, what are the criteria?

max gross weight must surely come into play.

type of runway? there are tundra wheels, but I find no difference
between concrete/asphalt vs. grass runways?

taildragger/tricycle seems to make not much difference either, many
planes available in either config, with no change of main wheels? which
makes me understand why my instructors insist on delicacy with the nose
wheel.
Old March 10th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Mar 10, 4:57*am, jan olieslagers
wrote:
I am surprised at finding precious little information on how to select
wheels and tyres when designing a plane from scratch...

Have you checked the Pazmany book on light aircraft undercarriage
design? I don't have a copy, but that might be a good place to look.
Old March 10th 10, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

wrote:
I am surprised at finding precious little information on how to select
wheels and tyres when designing a plane from scratch...

Have you checked the Pazmany book on light aircraft undercarriage
design? I don't have a copy, but that might be a good place to look.

I must humbly avow I did only some web research, no books consulted. I
do have large excerpts from the pre-war Desgrandschamps book, but when
it talks about a #10 wheel that is not very helpful either...

One thing it does say is the wheels must be overdimensioned so as to
allow five times their calculated max load - so if max gross is 800 kg,
each wheel must be able to support five times half of that, or 2000 kg.
Whether this figure of 5 was empirically determined, or bases upon some
law of physics, or on French law of the era, is left open though.

I read much good about the Pazmany books, mainly here - do they have
ISBN numbers? Would they be available in Europe (without paying
transtalantic DHL and a lot of import tax) ?
Old March 11th 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

wrote:
[...]

Pazmany- Landing gear design for light aircraft-ISBN 0-9616777-0-8-
I seriously considered copying a few pages for you,before perusing a
portion of the paperback, but reading one page exposes so many more
questions that this would entail the whole book--8½" X 11"--244pp---and
this is Volume-I---although I have never seen a vol II.

The final test is of 1/2 the entire gear, leg, SUSPENSION, wheel and
tyre + (1/2 the weight of the airplane)
being dropped from a specified height and not suffering any structural
damage(except a blown tyre)--the height is not excessive--IIRC somewhere
between 2 to 5 ft--This takes into account a partial support by the
wings. Jerry

Google booksellers & make enquirys --you might find a used one

Old March 11th 10, 09:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Oliver Arend

Google booksellers & make enquirys *--you might find a used one

For used books I can suggest

www.abebooks.com
www.zvab.com

S&H from the states is, depending on the size, between $10 and $20,
and since the total value won't be that high, there is no import VAT
(at least in Germany, I didn't pay any for the RV9 preview plans,
totaling around $100). That's also how I got two of the Bingelis books
for a total of 30 EUR each.

Oliver

U.S. & ISRAEL SELECTING TARGETS FOR CRUISE MISSILE FIRST-STRIKE ATTACK dontcowerfromthetruth Naval Aviation 7 August 8th 06 02:22 PM
cut off wheels brucerx Home Built 1 December 18th 05 08:49 PM
Wheels [email protected] Soaring 7 October 19th 05 02:29 PM
Wheels Lou Parker Home Built 14 October 31st 04 12:08 AM
New York-bound 747 bursts 16 tyres on take off Bertie the Bunyip Military Aviation 0 July 22nd 03 03:09 AM